RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2016 Ninja 650. Rebuilding as a street fighter. What I need help on is front end. Does any one know of a "plug and play" front end besides another 12-16 650 that might be a cheaper option with no modification necessary. Like an older Kawasaki. Really just want buy a complete front end and just mount it on. Also will need wheels.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
There is no alternative P&P other than another Ninja 650 one. There are threads here somewhere about ZX-6R and 636 conversions, which greatly improve the handling. So, if there is not a big price difference between them all, maybe go with the ZX-6R or 636. Also, judging by the looks of those forks, your tripple-trees are probably bent, and you might also want to get the frame checked for straightness.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Fairly certain that all the 650 gens have same or very similar fork stanchions. So they are p&p
There are other retrofit p&p alternatives but it depends ....
What’s your definition of cheap? 2012 z1000 forks are bolt on. There are 636 forks as well also as an example 04/05 zx10 will fit with 08 zx10 top and bottom triples and the stock 650 wheel.
But It will need a new guard, new brakes, etc and it adds up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fairly certain that all the 650 gens have same or very similar fork stanchions. So they are p&p
What’s your definition of cheap? 2012 z1000 forks are bolt on. There are 636 forks as well also as an example 04/05 zx10 will fit with 08 zx10 top and bottom triples and the stock 650 wheel.
I purchased new wheels and tires. Hoping to spend around 3-4 for front end

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no alternative P&P other than another Ninja 650 one. There are threads here somewhere about ZX-6R and 636 conversions, which greatly improve the handling. So, if there is not a big price difference between them all, maybe go with the ZX-6R or 636. Also, judging by the looks of those forks, your tripple-trees are probably bent, and you might also want to get the frame checked for straightness.
Thank you will get it checked out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I purchased new wheels and tires. Hoping to spend around 3-4 for front end
You could might get away with 3-400 USD if you purchase carefully.
Maybe write a list and add the parts to your cart on eBay and see what the tally is. Have a look at the fork swap thread for what works with what. Youll need:-
Must have
Forks
Axle
Spacers
Triples
Front mud guard
Callipers
If using 636 forks need a
wheel (different size bearings)

Maybe List
Master cylinder
Hoses
Headlight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could might get away with 3-400 USD if you purchase carefully.
Maybe write a list and add the parts to your cart on eBay and see what the tally is. Have a look at the fork swap thread for what works with what. Youll need:-
Must have
Forks
Axle
Spacers
Triples
Callipers
If using 636 forks need a
wheel (different size bearings)

Maybe List
Master cylinder
Hoses
Headlight
Thanks. Will hopefully get bike home this week and take it all apart and see what's good and what needs to be replaced

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think a 2009 ninja 650 front end will be compatible with 2016. And 2016 oem front wheel and brakes?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think it is with the exception of the top clamp. Do yourself a favour and compare bearing numbers for head stem and wheel as well as other part numbers to be confident that you have what you need

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it is with the exception of the top clamp. Do yourself a favour and compare bearing numbers for head stem and wheel as well as other part numbers to be confident that you have what you need
Thank you. Both years have same part numbers. Will update on build process once I start getting parts in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts