RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to go to get an answer but I'm stuck at this point.

I bought a 2016 ninja 650 with 700 miles and had it for about two months. I had a lot of fun riding and wheeling that thing all over the place after a ninja 300 and eventually, during one wonderful day I finally flipped it over while wheeling. I'm ok ended up with road rash and a fractured radius in my wrist. However, my bike landed on the left side cracking the left cover where the flywheel and stator are and leaked all the oil out.

About a month later after all my injuries were slowly healing I started purchasing all the parts and putting back the bike. I bought the flywheel, stator, cover, and obviously the oil. After replacing all those parts and putting everything back together the bike seems to engage the flywheel and stator because I here the spinning of the flywheel and the stator is getting a reading on the multimeter. However, the engine does not power on.

I tested the battery and it was getting 12.04 volts, so I charged it and now it's getting 12.64. These tests were done on idle. Everything else seems to be in order. I am pretty sure I put everything back correctly and tested to make sure the starter clutch is engaging all the other gears before putting the cover on. Like I said the stator seems to be working because it's getting a measurement from the multimeter as well (Forgot the exact numbers). As long as you hold that ignition button you can here the flywheel just spin.

Attaching some before and after pics of the damages. I could film a quick video on how it sounds when trying to power the bike up. I don't have a picture with the cover on yet but obviously I put it back on as well with the stator bolted on the back and connected. I can get pictures of that as well.

Did anyone have a similar experience with their ninja 650? I would appreciate any help anyone would be able to provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your kick stand safety switch and it's wiring. This switch was a common issue on Kawasaki KLR's and bypassing it was the solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear youre healing! Google ninja 650 tip over sensor ,this might be your problem.
Thanks appreciate it man.

The tip-over sensor, as far as I know is reset because I already picked the bike up and reset the ignition with key. Also, the flywheel is not even engaged when the tip-over sensor prohibits the bike from starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your kick stand safety switch and it's wiring. This switch was a common issue on Kawasaki KLR's and bypassing it was the solution.
If it was the kickstand safety switch, it would at least start in neutral and die if you put it into gear. But the flywheel keeps spinning without actually starting the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today is a great day, I resolved the issue and got to go for the first ride after the crash.

For those who ever encounter the same problem make sure that you tighten the flywheeel bolt. The stator will be getting a reading because the motor spins the flywheel. However, because the bolt is not properly tightened it wouldn't spin the crankshaft.

The only bad part is I have to change the gasket again and find a front nose plastic peace because it cracked on impact.

Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I hope this thread can assist someone else in the future.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for updating. A lot of threads similar wouldnt have a closing comment and those that come along after wouldn’t have anything to go on except that someone in the past had the same issue. Kudos to you sir

·
Registered
5 Posts
glad you figured it out.

keep your foot covering the rear brake while toting the front tire, helps you ease the front end down when needed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For those who ever encounter the same problem make sure that you tighten the flywheeel bolt.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, 12.0-12.6v is low for a lead acid battery after charging. You're going to need a battery soon enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts