RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Can you guys with c14s comment on 2up touring? (8 hour days, 3-4 days on the road)
Yes, my wife and I have done this. With the stock seat, it's a 5 out of ten. Ninja 1000 is a 4 out of 10

Sargent seat on the concours 14 Call it 6.5 out of ten

If you own the bike, and it's a situation like the bachelorette show, pick the small, short girl.

Reasons being is the passenger seat area on the c14 is the same as a zx14. Different seats, but confined to the same small area. Also, passenger pegs are very high. It will all work well at 125mph, but it's pretty confining up to that. 125 is where the airflow starts going over the passengers head.

Now, a lot of this is nice for the rider. The passenger cant wiggle around and mess up handling. The bike may actually handle better with two people on it. If there ever is a two up moto gp, this bike will stand a good shot of winning. You cant throw on enough weight to upset its handling.

The bike gets super smooth after break in. Break in wont happen unless you hold it around 8000 rpm, in 4th gear, for a few tanks of fuel. I think there are a lot of these with 30,000 miles that never were/are broken in.

I'll swear the versus 1000 is better for a passenger. It was built for slower speed comfort.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
For two up comfort, some guys will put on a Corbin seat, passenger peg lowering blocks, 55 liter Givi trunking backrest, and barn door windscreen. Of course it depends on your lady. If she is moving from the back of an SS bike, she will love it.

Reactions: Shmoodad

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, my wife and I have done this. With the stock seat, it's a 5 out of ten. Ninja 1000 is a 4 out of 10

Sargent seat on the concours 14 Call it 6.5 out of ten
Dissapointed to hear this. So Kawasaki didn't do much to make it comfortable for the passenger. I guess the c14 is out the window for me.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Dissapointed to hear this. So Kawasaki didn't do much to make it comfortable for the passenger. I guess the c14 is out the window for me.
Well, he is probably giving it a 5 to 6.5 out of 10, where a Goldwing is 10 out of 10 in passenger comfort. If your lady picks your two up motorcycle, it will be a Goldwing or Harley Ultra or BMW GTL 1600 depending on her leanings.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Well, he is probably giving it a 5 to 6.5 out of 10, where a Goldwing is 10 out of 10 in passenger comfort. If your lady picks your two up motorcycle, it will be a Goldwing or Harley Ultra or BMW GTL 1600 depending on her leanings.
Yes, right on the money with this statement. It doesn't rate higher than "pretty good"

When you get time, look at one after seeing what a Goldwing offers.

Short version....Most bikes are bad. This one is better, but its no gold wing. Theres a reason no one tried to compete with a gold wing, AND BMW's attempt is 26-30k.

If you are just riding along at 75 on the interstates, the c14's extra abilities are wasted and almost work against you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Starting to make more sense. I just don't know if I'm ready to get a Goldwing when I'm not even 40 yet - they look enormous. But they are getting more affordable, I see 10 yr old ones with lower mileage for around 10 grand. I guess I'd like to get her on the Versys1k and a C14/FJR/ST1300 and go from there. I've been looking for a local guy who would want to switch up their C14 for the N1k for a ride. Thanks for your input from real experience!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
One giant c14 advantage, and the reason I have mine, is dollars. Their resale value sucks. Its not a sportbike and is often owned by older guys who dont beat bikes.

A versys 1000 will be way more expensive, and a c14 will run circles around it. For 6500-7, this is an incredible touring bike. I will happily criticize mine and point out its flaws, but its not for sale.

Insurance is so low, you think someone is playing a joke on you. I know its different for all, but progressive wants 184 , per year, for my abs model. The front brakes are a hundred times better than my stock ninja, as was its suspension. Some drawbacks, but dont let my pointing out the flaws be the determining factor. I border on the insane wiht a bikes performance, and this one is going nowhere.

Goldwing is the touring bike. Buy this bike and your wife can go with you AND you get to have fun riding it, for 6k.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
On the other hand, if she has no leanings, get a trike instead.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
One giant c14 advantage, and the reason I have mine, is dollars. Their resale value sucks. Its not a sportbike and is often owned by older guys who dont beat bikes.

A versys 1000 will be way more expensive, and a c14 will run circles around it. For 6500-7, this is an incredible touring bike. I will happily criticize mine and point out its flaws, but its not for sale.

Insurance is so low, you think someone is playing a joke on you. I know its different for all, but progressive wants 184 , per year, for my abs model. The front brakes are a hundred times better than my stock ninja, as was its suspension. Some drawbacks, but dont let my pointing out the flaws be the determining factor. I border on the insane wiht a bikes performance, and this one is going nowhere.

Goldwing is the touring bike. Buy this bike and your wife can go with you AND you get to have fun riding it, for 6k.
Insurance was not bad, but it was still double my Voyager 1700.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Try progressive for the c14. I have a big mouth agent who represented all of the other people she PROMISED she could beat the rate.

Two weeks later, she called back and had failed. They are horrible and expensive for my ninja, but not on the c14 ABS. Notice I said "ABS"

ABS is an interesting accessory for a motorcycle and insurance companies. You are basically on the honor system.

I know my yz 250 and ninja 1000 have abs since I installed it the same day.

4 of these and send them a picture.

MARK,FR FENDER,ABS 56052-0784 $4.09

Reactions: motocopter

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Try progressive for the c14. I have a big mouth agent who represented all of the other people she PROMISED she could beat the rate.

Two weeks later, she called back and had failed. They are horrible and expensive for my ninja, but not on the c14 ABS. Notice I said "ABS"

ABS is an interesting accessory for a motorcycle and insurance companies. You are basically on the honor system.

I know my yz 250 and ninja 1000 have abs since I installed it the same day.

4 of these and send them a picture.

MARK,FR FENDER,ABS 56052-0784 $4.09
I have progressive. They beat out geico when I picked up the c14. Doesn't the vin Lethem know if it is an abs model?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I dont think the vin on motorcycles is sophisticated enough to tip them off? Must not have been. They wanted a picture, which was no problem.

Progressive was cheap for the c14, but they were going to buy a new company jet if I insured my Ninja with them. Long story short, I ended up with towing coverage on my yz 250 mx bike and a premium of 283.00per year on both ....213 per year for the c14, 80.00 on the yz.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I rode mine across town yesterday. Mine has a powercommander and a special map from Fuel Moto that allows secondary butterfly removal.

Throttle response is amazing, and the bike pulls from a stoplight like you cant imagine.

This lower gear they added makes no sense when they could have just added a less restrictive secondary map. My bike just lets you shift out of first at a later time, which is great.

The new windshield vent is cute, but the shield itself is still too small.

I mention how incredible its front brakes are, but this still catches my by surprise every time i ride it. Hard to believe they are stock.

The new seat is not a sargent, and thats enough said. If only my 08 were candy green.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
twa, I was looking through your Trophy list and realized I wouldn't want to look through the windscreen or give up KIPASS! The horses is a toss up.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Makes me glad I jumped on the deal for the Triumph instead of waiting for the updated Concours.
Makes me glad I jumped on the deal for the 2011 instead of waiting for the updated Concours.

Or should that read "updated" Concours?

My insurance dropped almost $7/mo with State Farm going from Triumph Explorer to Concours.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
twa, I was looking through your Trophy list and realized I wouldn't want to look through the windscreen or give up KIPASS! The horses is a toss up.
No looking through the windscreen. I look over it unless it is in the highest position and I slouch.
Kipass was OK, but they didn't take it far enough. You have to use the key to get into the bags. I can leave my bags unlocked. You have to use the key to fuel up.
If you put the key fob in your jacket pocket and the stow the jacket on the bike, someone could ride away with it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts