RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone yet determined what parts are needed to swap out to make the 2014 factory side cases work on our 11-13 bikes?

Surely it can be done? I am guessing....

Needs swapped:
subframe
rear pass peg mounts

rear fender - if you like and want to keep the OEM fender / turn signals. If you run a tail tidy or fender eliminator, you won't need

Maybe needs swapped:
under tail - nope
rear seat - doesn't seem to - nope

Anyone done it yet or made up a parts list?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I thought about switching too ... untill I saw the price of those side panniers, & how much smaller they became, & how much wider the bike became.
I'm removing my topbox, replacing it with a tailbag. I loose 24 liters because of that. Space I really did use on big trips.

It's not worth it in my opinion. I stick to the Givi side cases, for the tiny percentage of km's I need them.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Subframe is not a cheap part... about $500 if I remember correctly. And you may have to buy all the other tail section parts to go with it if the design is different enough cause fitment issues. I was going to put a Z1000 tail section on my Ninja 1000, but the total cost of it made those ugly handles seem a whole lot more attractive! BTW, the handles make excellent sliders for the tail section... too bad I know this from experience.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I found the subframe for a little under $400. Add the pass rearsets and you'd be over $500 just to be able to spend the $$$ on the 14 bag kit. Then I'd need to have the color inserts painted white....

BUT......it'd be NICE.....and cheaper than buying a new bike....and Im partial to the white anyway and I don't want all that traction control whizbang stuff on the 14 anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not directly related to thread but after a long wait I got the sw-motech side bags. Very impressive finish and perfect size. The bike is still narrow enough to do regular lane splitting without even thinking of them. They don't sag at all thanks to the bottom bars. Which was the biggest problem of the nelsonrigs I returned. The wide Velcro fits under the passenger seat. Basically it's everything you could wish for, besides having a hard lock and key (well also rain protection but they come with covers and I live in CA). Then put your precious stuff in the top case...
Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle accessories Tire Automotive exterior

Footwear Motorcycle accessories Personal protective equipment Vehicle Shoe

Reactions: ebinho

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
That guy did a great job. Looks really good.

Super high on his "kit" prices thoug, they won't sell for that much money. People obviously know now that it can be done with the mounts that come with those bags with some modifications.

The freaking Green bikes are BEAUTIFUL!! Makes me wish I had waited for the Green and ABS.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Green gets compliments. I had one guy, and his wife, comment yesterday. She pretty much accidentally said, "That bike is pretty..." He immediately shouted out, "I ride a Harley.." So, I'm just standing there. Trying to ride, load my stuff, get my helmet on... Not wanting to get into conversation....

I mean, at a certain level..We cant see a lady getting in her car and shout out...Nice T's..or Nice A....Or, you shouldn't unless drunk. Then its ok.

So, I said thank you, and turned away. I was putting my headphones in and I hear, "Yea, I've the got my colors vest and all....."

I'm thinking, "I dont wear a vest because I dont like looking like a 1970's pedophile...but I just say, "Nice."

Thats the bad part about a nice car, or nice bike, or nice woman for that matter....No one you ever want to notice, will notice...or they do notice but have class enough not to say anything.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, enough ***** talk, back to the side cases haha :glassesti

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about doing this. I've found the OEM parts online for the best price I can at Procaliber.com anyone ever deal with them?

My only thing is I'd have to get the color panels painted and I worry that the paint would be a shade off, and that would really chap my arse. Other than that, I am REALLY thinking hard on this.

The hard bag option was one of the things that initially drew me to the N1K............

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless my mind changes by tomorrow......I'm gonna do it.
I'm gonna order the 14 bags, subframe and pass pegs.

I may find out I'm wrong and have to order more parts or just bail all together, but I'm gonna jump. Factory hard bags were a draw to this bike for me but the Givi brackets made me not order them. The 14 bags are sweet and I think it won't be *near* as involved install as some think or claim.....guess I'll find out for sure, and I'll post pics of the whole details either way it works out.

Just wonder if it makes a difference if I order the blue or green bags? Gonna paint them white, with primer, so should it matter which color I order?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woot - parts are ordered. Went with the green color. Now the wait...........:blackeye:

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My concern with that method of using the pre-14 subframe is the structural ability of the subframe to deal with the stresses of the side cases (more so weighted down and full). Looking at pics of both versions of the subframe, Kawasaki obviously made changes to deal with the added stress the bags would apply. Now, I have no idea if those changes were to over lawyer-proof (I'd guess that was a big part of it) the possibility of a failure - it could very well be that you can run the cases on the pre-14 subframe forever with no issues, BUT it would sure suck if the subframe failed and broke off on a trip 1000 miles from home.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The 2011 subframe was not that great ;)

There is a case on the UK forum, with a topcase, of a subframe that broke.
Mine went in for repairs today, as my screwholes where not round anymore, and I had a play of my tail of 7cm !

I'm done with a topcase ... 24-36L SW-Motech Evo tailbag arrived today.
Going to check the new setup (SW motech pannier holders) this Monday to a trackday.

Edit: just saw our soccer game, seems our next candidate is the US ;)

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Huge amounts of leverage works against top cases.

Babbits Kawasaki is awesome for oem parts. Not always the cheapest, up front, but their shipping dept rocks. They have a shipping fee of...whatever. If it turns out to be less, the nuts refund it! Go figure! http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/c/kawasaki_motorcycle
/parts

Service Kawasaki (HONDA) is also great.

If the subframe will handle a 150lb passenger, you might be ok with 20lbs of bags....Different force than top case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually ordered the parts from partspitstop, and they were nearly $100 cheaper than the next one which was procaliber. Babbitt was way more as were all the other usual referenced oem suppliers.

Hope to have the parts within the next week or so. Still gotta deal with having the color inserts painted. Need to start talking to some local body shops I guess. That's the only part that really concerns me, the paint matching.

I'm still undecided as to what I am going to do about the turn signals. Thought about getting the 14 rear fender and just extending the turn signal wires and having it 100% oem, but that rear fender is $60+. That would nearly pay for an integrated tail light setup and I can just remove the oem turn signals all together and still run the oem fender. The only integrated tail light that I've seen and like is the moto dynamic smoke and it's out of stock currently. I detest flashing brake lights, so just normal light operation is a MUST for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got an email from PartsPitStop that the key lock cylinder kit is on backorder from Kawasaki with no expected available date. Said they'd hold my order and ship when the cylinders get in. That SUCKS.

I sent them an email and asked if they'd go ahead and ship what they got now and send the locks when they get in. I could be mounting / painting in the mean time.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Roland from salt lake city is raising his hand, and has a question....

Yes, says Kawasaki's parts manager.....Uh, wouldn't it be a good idea to order the same number of lock cylinders for every saddle bag set? I mean, the set costs 1500.00 and is useless without the lock set, right? It sounds like you might avoid having complete sets of these lying around, in the prime selling season, and a lock cylinder costs, what, maybe 5.00????

Ok, ok..you are rightI understand. I just dont understand...I get it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cases came today. Pass pegs and subframe weren't in the box though. Cases are nice but I was surprised to see the 11# weight limit sticker inside. Oh well, I know that has some lawyer proofing built in. Hopefully the other parts will come soon and I'll get to get started on the install and documentation.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
I think the Concours 14 bags have a serious weight limit, too. I remember thinking a guy could not carry his bowling ball in it...

I weighed my stuff when my wife and I went away for a weekend. Her side bag was 7lbs worth of..whatever the hell they carry. I suspect its old World War One manuals or such. My stuff was 5...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts