RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I want to say first of all I appreciate anyone that reads this post for your time and input. I’ve been working on this issue for some time and now that I have exhausted all my options I wanted to reach out for help, being that I use this forum to research any existing issues someone else might of had to cross reference with my own, I thought this would be a good place to start.

So I recently recovered my 2014 Ninja 650R, it was stolen recently and from what the police report states is that during the police chase the thief downed the bike. Also, the police popped the gas cap open for what I assume was to inspect the tank for anything illegal. Anyway so here’s a break down of what I’ve done so far to the bike:

-replaced fuel injectors
-disassembled/reassembled fuel pump cleaned
-replace down/tip over sensor
-Emptied remaining fluid in gas tank which I assume was old gas/water
-replaced kickstand sensor
-replaced gas cap
-checked all fuses
-checked for any FI codes (there are none)
- checked for any blockage in fuel line
-checked for any blockage in air box
-checked plugs in wire harness
-replaced old battery with new Yausa battery
-replaced spark plugs
-checked for compression which was good
-checked for spark which was good

So if I spray starting fluid directly into the air housing it runs off of that momentarily but cuts off so it has to be a fuel delivery issue, i’ve checked that the fuel pump is working and replaced the fuel injectors. I’ve been doing some hardcore investigative research and I found a YouTube video that is spot on with my problem.

https://youtu.be/ISGcFcf-JoQ

I left the user a message but no reply and it’s been about three weeks, so if you can take a look and listen to how he tries to start up his ninja you can have a spot on idea of how it sounds right now at this moment.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on with the starter kill switch in the on position? also check things like the kick stand switch and the tip over switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve replaced the kickstand switch sensor and tip over sensor, when I turn key to on the fuel pump primes, also when I flip kill switch on and off it does the same.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you pulled the injectors to make sure they are squirting fuel? The video you posted sounds like a weak battery but you have already replaced that. It's hard to diagnose a bike without seeing it. where are you located?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The injectors are not throwing fuel which is causing the bike not to start, I will pull them out today to double check but since the bike starts momentarily when I use starting fluid i assume it means fuel isn’t being shot out of injectors.

I live in Houston Texas.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Once you figure out if the injectors aren't shooting fuel, you might need to get a multimeter and start checking the connections to the injectors. Also might want to see if the bike is building up enough pressure from the pump to actually supply the injectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I’ve checked power to injectors and there’s current and just now I’ve changed fuel pump but still no go. It does the exact same thing.. I’m going to try and add more fuel to tank but I doubt that’s the issue. I’ll keep updating as I go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I checked starter relay and it checks out good(thought it would be worth checking out, also added more premium gasoline and still a no go. I’m going to review the manual and check for other possibilities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked for spark already it looks good and healthy, I’ve sprayed starting fluid in fuel housing/intake and it runs off of that for a few seconds.

I thought it might be the ignition switch since the bike was stolen and previous switch had signs of forced entry(I assume with flathead) but I just replaced and still no go. I was thinking it might be a bad ECU?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update, I disconnected the camshaft sensor and noticed that the bike was not reading an FI code with it being disconnected which is odd. Also I’m not getting pressure build up inside tank.. so I’m assuming the fuel pump that I replaced doesn’t work? I’m going to check the relay out and update later.

If anyone has any ideas I can go off of that would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure the throttle bodies are facing the right direction? Accidentally flipped my zx10 throttle bodies building my Z750/953 without thinking and it did all kinds of weird stuff. If I remember correctly the injectors would only spray if I held my hand over the openings to create a vacuum. Felt like an idiot but they went on in either direction lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the throttle bodies and they can only be placed in one position, i can’t tell if injectors are spraying when I place my hand over but I feel the suction and with starting fluid it runs for a bit off of that. I’m going to check some more and I’ll update when I find something out. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts