RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please be kind. I did my best to get the most accurate figures I could I am just looking for the best comparison I can find. The rest is where I need you guys for what I left out. I will buy one of these. My last bike was a '12 Ninja 1000 ABS

-----------------------2014 Ninja 1000---------------------------------2014 Honda VFR 800

Price------------------$11,999.00-------------------------------------- $13,499.00
Weight-----------------509lbs-------------------------------------------536lbs
Horsepower------------125bhp at rear wheel--------------------------95bhp at rear wheel
Brakes-----------------high end monoblock-----------------------------high end floating
Suspension-----High end adjustable with hand knob------------------High end adjustable with tools
final drive------------chain-----------------------------------------------chain
Traction Control:------4 stage with rain mode--------------------------1 mode always on
ABS--------------------standard------------------------------------------standard
Swingarm-------------conventional--------------------------------------single sided
Centerstand-----------not available--------------------------------------standard
Heated grips----------kawasaki option-----------------------------------standard
gear position indicator---not available-----------------------------------standard
seat height ---------------32.3---------------------------------------------31 or 31.8
quarter mile--------------10.6 sec-----------------------------------------11.3 sec
0-60-----------------------3.0 sec------------------------------------------3.4 sec
top speed-----------------150mph GPS------------------------------------146 mph
Variable value timing-----no------------------------------------------------yes (this is a negative)
Luggage------perfectly integrated givi factory option---------------------forthcoming
build quality--------------8 of 10-------------------------------------------9 of 10 (subjective)
alternator output---336w, 136w reserve max, unconfirmed #s---------470w, 110w reserve max, many reported isues
Engine maps------2 maps, full power and 70% power rain mode-------1 map full power
MPG-----------------------39 mpg------------------------------------------40 mpg
Valve Adjustments-------15K-----------------------------------------------16K plus VVT complexity cost
Lights---------------------Halogen-------------------------------------------LED
Know issues----need to bleed oil at oil change to prevent cavitation-----electrical system/rectifier know issue
------------------------(probably not an issue)
Seating position-----Stock all day comfortable sport touring--------------much weight on wrists due to low clip ons (see options)
Available accessories---heated grips----------------------------------------15mm bar risers

Reactions: rowdyred94

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The cheaper bike has more power, less weight, better brakes, more electronics, and has been highly praised by the motorcycle media for years... it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yeah - though I did not really research the Honda - I sort of threw it out becuase of cost, insurance and what seems to me to be that it is just 'less' bike for more money. I imagine that the bags and the heated grips may drive the price up to the Hondas - AND the only thing you will NEVER have with the Ninja is a center stand....which is easily over come with track stands.

Maintenance you perform is going to be about the same - I can take everything off the bike and I can do the valve check myself (but prolly won't) I just don't see myself purchasing the Honda...... sorry - the Ninja specs are more attractive to me.......It just seems to me that the Honda will be more expensive to operate over the years than the N1K, without a performance enhancement over the N1k. While, you are missing the torque specs - and I do not have time at the mo to go find them - meh - they should be similar. and the MPG difference is not signifigant as YMMV..........

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having owned both makes, whats making me consider the honda are the cavitation issue and build quality of the kawi. I experienced the cavitation problem and the damn rear sprocket would squeak on the ninja if i didn't lube it every couple hundred miles. On my kawi versys a peg just snapped off under weight. Inspection showed it was previously cracked from factory. Which is a better 100,000 mile bike? the $1500 now isn't really my concern.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I owned a 2003 Honda VFR for 45,000 miles of riding. Pretty much the same bike you are considering right now other than it did not have ABS or traction control. I held on to my VFR, waiting for someone to build a better all around street bike. I was completely happy with the VFR.

I now have 10,000 miles of riding on the Ninja 1000.

If I were choosing between the two now, knowing what I know.........the decision is easy. Go to your local Kawasaki dealer without hesitation and get the Ninja. If it has a 190/50 rear tire, exchange it for a 190/55.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The Z750 has specs equal to the Honda, yet the price difference is even more significant. Just shows you how overpriced Hondas are. My 1st streetbike was a Honda and the oil pan cracked and starting leaking oil after only 1000 miles. I don't think Honda is any more reliable, maybe better finished, but certainly not worth the premium. Both 800 and 1200 VFR's are way overpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had a few Honda VFR's (see my sig line) and as much as I loved them, my Ninja is better in nearly everyway and cheaper. The only thing I miss is the sound of the V4 with a good pipe. Otherwise, I don't miss my Honda's so much. I won't be selling the Ninja for the VFR. Especially not at that price.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If the majority of the riding is going to be interstating i would go honda.
Otherwise the ninja.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Why is VVT a negative? The concours has VVT, My car has VVT. What are the negatives?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Valve adjustments are way $$$. Used to see lots of VFR's for sale just before the 16K mile service.
OK. A pocketbook issue, not a performance or reliability issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
There are things I like about the Honda, but 30/30 kills it for me (30 more lbs, 30 less hp). I'm all about performance on my Ninja.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Honda has been riding on their ego for a long time. It amazes me that the Honda faithful still allows them to do that. I have to believe they're feeling it in the sales department. I've always despised Honda's arrogance and corporate mentality. I've owned a few Hondas but only when they happen to introduce a bike that stands above the rest. For me that's happened 6 times out of 20+ bikes.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Honda has been riding on their ego for a long time. It amazes me that the Honda faithful still allows them to do that. I have to believe they're feeling it in the sales department. I've always despised Honda's arrogance and corporate mentality. I've owned a few Hondas but only when they happen to introduce a bike that stands above the rest. For me that's happened 6 times out of 20+ bikes.
I agree. I've owned eight Honda motorcycles, seven cars and a lawnmower. There are still things I like about some of them, but overall you are correct. I just traded my wife's 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD a couple of weeks ago. I was very disappointed in the car to the point where I really didn't enjoy driving it that much because of a lack of refinement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why is VVT a negative? The concours has VVT, My car has VVT. What are the negatives?
While Ive never ridden a Vtec bike it seems every review I read complains about the abrupt transition from 2 to 4 valves. Then there is also the significant adjustment costs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Always loved the v4 power. Had a 83 magna and a 86 Vfr. 95 hp just doesn't cut it anymore. Honda need to get off there *** and do it right. I was very excited for the Vfr 1200 until it came out. Too ugly and over engineered. Now looking at a Aprilia rsv4.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Fotoboy, I knwo what you mean, and agree, but You know what, though? 95 is plenty...hell, 80 was plenty. Its just not enough when compared to what else is available, for much less money? If you mod up a Ninja and allow for the price total of a vfr, your looking at 146 hp.

Build quality advantage to Honda? On whos chart? Kawasaki does thing sin an odd manner. Sometimes you cannot even see what they spent extra money on. Not really a fair comparison, but try this. Open us a cr 85 Honda engine, then do the same with a kx85 engine. Then tell me which company spent money for high quality parts vs good enough.

I've had zero mechanical issues with my Ninja. The styling is slightly goofy (for me), but the panels and paint hold up very well. It doesn't use oil and has never done anything bad/ Never been back to the dealer. The replacement green fairing center sections I ordered match the bike itself which was a year older.

Reactions: rshaug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love my 2011 Ninja 1000. Lighter than the Honda and very comfortable on the highway. Excellent power , no mechanical issues . You can lose a fair amount of weigh with just slip ons. That will get you under 500lbs. Even the adjustable windscreen has proven useful on the road. So for my money I would go with the Ninja .

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I don't know where you are located. But..if possible..you should contact my dad's shop in Irving, Tx. His name is Sammy White. He's been in business longer than any other Kawasaki dealer in the US. He will give you the best price anywhere. Kawasaki City Ask for Bart.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts