RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished a 1.5hr drive through the rain and got to the garage. I shut the bike off promptly then decided to move it. I attempted to start the bike ensuring the kill switch wasn’t activated, neutral light on, new battery. The light turned on, fuel pump was working, and..CLICK! The lights and dash screen cut out as soon as I attempted to start it. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they were good so I’m thinking it could be the starter. Any other ideas for troubleshooting this?

· Registered
8,812 Posts
How old is your battery? Do you have a meter you can use to check it's voltage?

This sounds exactly like my bike did when it's battery took a dump. My battery was 5 years old, so testing it was a waste of time, but I did.

As it was sitting, it showed 12.4 v. That isn't great, but in many cases, it's enough to start the bike. However, with this battery you could watch the display drop down into the 10.2 area when I hit the starter.

If you don't have a meter and your battery is over 2 yes old, you are probably safe to guess that it's bad.

Reactions: motocopter

· Registered
990 Posts
The "new" battery is still suspect.

Still, after an hour and a half and presumably charging, get a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine at a high idle. Let's us know what you measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts