RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Ninja 650 Instrument Panel Rattle/Vibration Solution

Have been reading threads on the forum about the instrument panel rattle/vibration noise.

Always wear ear plugs, but noticed the rattle/vibration @ 4000RPM since new on my 2012 Ninja 650. Placing my hand on the instrument panel made the noise go away. Removed the windscreen & associated mounts/fairings. Did not take many photos yesterday, but next time I have it apart, will take more detailed photos.

When looking at the three Phillips Head screws that secure the instrument panel to the rubber cushion/mounts, noticed about 1/16" of play (Ninja has only 500 miles so far) between the rubber cushion and instrument panel with three Phillips Head screws completely tight & bottomed out on the panel plastic, believe this is where the rattle/vibration comes from. Decided to get rid of the play and install an additional piece of 1/8" rubber gasket material between the instrument panel and three rubber mount cushions. Reinstalled the original Phillips Head screw compressing the 1/8" gasket material, but not tightening the screws too much. The gasket material got rid of the play & rattle/vibration noise.

Planning to replace the gasket material with rubber O Rings with 1/8" cross section thickness (whatever Lowes has on the shelf) , next time I have the windscreen off. Will probably use silicone sealant (not sure about using Loctite on plastic) to secure the Phillips Head screws from vibrating out since I don't want to tighten them too much and strip out the plastic female mounting threads in the instrument panel.

1/8" rubber gasket material 1"X1" with 3/8"X3/8" hole (cut out with razor box cutter) sandwiched between three instrument panel rubber cushion mounts & instrument panel. This will be replaced with 1/8" cross section thickness O Rings next time I have it apart.

Rubber 1/8" gasket material material sandwiched between top two OEM rubber mounts and instrument panel. The lower gasket material installed is hard to take a photo of, so only showing top two mounts:

Closer look at one 1/8" rubber gasket material installed between rubber mount & panel:

Panel after installing gasket material:

Took the Ninja for a test ride yesterday with neighbor on his Honda. The rattle/vibration noise is gone:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice, I used regular weather stripping that I doubled up. Worked like a charm. I do suspect your repair will likely outlast mine.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Have been reading threads on the forum about the instrument panel rattle/vibration noise.

Always wear ear plugs, but noticed the rattle/vibration @ 4000RPM since new on my 2012 Ninja 650. Placing my hand on the instrument panel made the noise go away. Removed the windscreen & associated mounts/fairings. Did not take many photos yesterday, but next time I have it apart, will take more detailed photos.

When looking at the three Phillips Head screws that secure the instrument panel to the rubber cushion/mounts, noticed about 1/16" of play (Ninja has only 500 miles so far) between the rubber cushion and instrument panel with three Phillips Head screws completely tight & bottomed out on the panel plastic, believe this is where the rattle/vibration comes from. Decided to get rid of the play and install an additional piece of 1/8" rubber gasket material between the instrument panel and three rubber mount cushions. Reinstalled the original Phillips Head screw compressing the 1/8" gasket material, but not tightening the screws too much. The gasket material got rid of the play & rattle/vibration noise.

Planning to replace the gasket material with rubber O Rings with 1/8" cross section thickness (whatever Lowes has on the shelf) , next time I have the windscreen off. Will probably use silicone sealant (not sure about using Loctite on plastic) to secure the Phillips Head screws from vibrating out since I don't want to tighten them too much and strip out the plastic female mounting threads in the instrument panel.

1/8" rubber gasket material 1"X1" with 3/8"X3/8" hole (cut out with razor box cutter) sandwiched between three instrument panel rubber cushion mounts & instrument panel. This will be replaced with 1/8" cross section thickness O Rings next time I have it apart.

Rubber 1/8" gasket material material sandwiched between top two OEM rubber mounts and instrument panel. The lower gasket material installed is hard to take a photo of, so only showing top two mounts:

Closer look at one 1/8" rubber gasket material installed between rubber mount & panel:

Panel after installing gasket material:

Took the Ninja for a test ride yesterday with neighbor on his Honda. The rattle/vibration noise is gone:

I love red bikes

·
Registered
827 Posts
Too bad we don't have a contact at Kawasaki engineering.... Your fix should be added as an OEM part in future models... Should outlast the bike :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Too bad we don't have a contact at Kawasaki engineering.... Your fix should be added as an OEM part in future models... Should outlast the bike :p
The panel was not secure against the original rubber mounts allowing the vibration/noise with the mounting screws completely tight, on my new Ninja. Next time I have the wind screen off will replace my home made gasket/spacers with manufactured O rings or O ring type gaskets that are commonly found at the auto parts or Lowes/Home Depot and post photos/descriptions.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Visited Auto Zone today and bought a package of 3 rubber oil drain plug gaskets to replace the home made spacers. The oil drain gaskets work fine getting rid of the panel vibration rattle. Decided not to use sealant to lock the Phillips head screws because they seemed to be tight enough when I replaced the home made spacers. Almost forgot, the package of three gaskets cost $3.50.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i did a fairly detailed writeup of my fix for this same issue over on the general forums: http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/72647-2012-2013-instrument-cluster-area-rattle-fix.html

i put some sound deadening type foam material behind the cluster itself and installed it back the way it was. your method is a little different and if you use the actual o-rings or gaskets or whatever it will probably be a little cleaner. either way both of our methods fixed it. i sent an email to kawi about it and they sent back the standard reply "we apologize you are having vibration issues with your 2013 ninja 650, we recommend taking it to your nearest certified blah blah"....which really gets me because i am good friends with the dealership i bought mine from and they had to order it for me and put it together, presumably with a test ride too and they let me buy it, rattles and all.

at the end of the day i guess that's the main issue with a parallel twin is the monster vibrations however i don't see how something like that got through kawi full testing the production version of the bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i did a fairly detailed writeup of my fix for this same issue over on the general forums: http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/72647-2012-2013-instrument-cluster-area-rattle-fix.html
Expect to find issues with all bikes and thought I noticed the rattle on the ride home from the dealership. Placed my hand on the instrument cluster and the noise went away.

Found this forum & your thread after ordering R & G sliders & radiator guard from the Ninja 650 store. Appreciate your write up & videos. Your thread got me started working on how to resolve the issue on my Ninja.

There are issues that many motorcycle manufacturers don't correct or are "very" slow to correct on otherwise "great" motorcycles.

On my 08 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, the stock windscreen creates "large" amount of turbulence or helmet rattle, enough for "me" to get rid of the bike if not corrected. Many, not all, experience this problem. I ended up buying an aftermarket "very low" sport bike style screen and now have smooth air around my helmet. The other issue I had with this bike was front wheel wobble or headshake around 45MPH with the 19" front wheel. Checked run out on the front wheel, tightened the triple tree bearings, as per OEM recommendations, and still had the headshake. Changed to a different style tire and the headshake went away. Still was not completely happy with this bike because I wanted a larger selection of front street tires. Don't DS ride with this bike because I have a CRF for that. Ended up installing an SV650 17" front wheel and now have a large selection of tires to choose from. Have a 120/70/17 Pilot Power to install on the front of the Strom next. It's a comfortable 90 degree V-Twin day ride bike for two up or solo that is very capable in the twisties. Now it's perfect for "me" & my Wife says to never sell it!

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,16535.0.html

Bought my Wife a 1999 Ninja 250. She does not want to ride larger bikes & likes this 300lb Ninja. First problems for "me" with this bike was removing the air box to get at the carbs. Came up with an air box mod that allows the owner to retain the stock air filter or install a aftermarket K & N filter "without" rejetting the carb and now it is "very" easy to remove the air box. Of course I needed to do "lots" of testing after the air box mod and found this Ninja to be a very capable twisty machine.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74317

The Ninja 650 is my solo twisty machine! :alcy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2012 Ninja 650 last week and the rattle from the cluster between 2000 and 2500 rpm was really annoying. I therefore read a few posts on the forum and based on their replies I removed the cluster and added isolation to the bottom of each fitting lug to space the cluster then added small blocks of foam rubber around the housing.

The rattling was still as noisy as ever.

I found that if I put pressure on the speedo the noise reduced or even disappeared so I investigated further and found a thread about the LCD display in the cluster coming loose.
I decided to open up the cluster last Saturday and found it a relatively easy job.
The problem is that the LCD display vibrates in its mounting. It is held at the top by the electrical supply tracks but at the bottom it is help by two small posts which have silicone blobs on them to hold the LCD display. These blobs had perished so the screen was now rattling against the plastic just beneath is.

I carefully applied black silicone sealant to the lower edge being careful not to let it spread onto the screen above or beneath. (You could use clear or even white)
I allowed it several hours to dry then reassembled the cluster and tested the functions before reassembling the fairing nose.
The next day I tested it. The rattle has gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts