RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does every 2013 650r owner is facing this rattling problem. I intend to get one 3-4 months down the line. Its now making me think to really go with Kawi 650r

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2012 650r (or ER-6F here in Germany) also has a slight rattle at 2500 rpm. But it only happens in a very small rpm band so it doesn't annoy me much.
Maybe in spring I will try this fix.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im confused.. Some are calling it a 'rattle'; others a 'vibration'.. Im calling mine 'buzzing'! I presume they are all the same? On mine, its definitely located in the instrument cluster, and is a distinct buzz you hear at the mid rpm range, whether you are accelerating through the range, or riding steadily in it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Im confused.. Some are calling it a 'rattle'; others a 'vibration'.. Im calling mine 'buzzing'! I presume they are all the same? On mine, its definitely located in the instrument cluster, and is a distinct buzz you hear at the mid rpm range, whether you are accelerating through the range, or riding steadily in it.
It's all the same thing. I finally got my bike all back together after fully disassembling all the fairings, headlights, gauges, etc and putting foam or ruber literally EVERYWHERE that two pieces touch. Decided to do a quick check before putting the windshield on by tapping on the headlights and front fairings with the bike off. Sure enough, still a buzz. Seems to be coming from inside the headlights. I couldn't pin point it no matter how hard I tried. The good news is that the noise when the bike is running is quieter than it was before when I had earplugs in so at least it has been drastically reduced.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's all the same thing. I finally got my bike all back together after fully disassembling all the fairings, headlights, gauges, etc and putting foam or ruber literally EVERYWHERE that two pieces touch. Decided to do a quick check before putting the windshield on by tapping on the headlights and front fairings with the bike off. Sure enough, still a buzz. Seems to be coming from inside the headlights. I couldn't pin point it no matter how hard I tried. The good news is that the noise when the bike is running is quieter than it was before when I had earplugs in so at least it has been drastically reduced.
You can detect it by just tapping on it? Im pretty sure mine comes from the gauge cluster itself as depicted in Capt's video, but Im not 100% yet.. I have to investigate further.. But the confounding thing about this whole matter is it seems there is more than one type of buzz, and more than one source of the noise! For some, it seems to be the fairings buzzing against each other; for others, its the headlight area; and for others still, its emanating from the gauge cluster. Someone even reported it was the ring around the gas cap.. WTF? With such diverse accounts of the buzzing, locating and solving becomes a lot more nuanced and complex.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yep if I knock on the headlights or around them I hear a buzz come from behind the headlights somewhere. Kinda sounds like a little bee or something, lol. Could be something different but I assume the fairing buzz is the same thing just louder due to stronger vibes from the engine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Try putting 2 fingers on your instrument cluster while riding, next try the same two fingers on your windscreen if you have an EZ Pass attached. I found both to be driving me up the wall before the fix.

Also don't forget your license plate. Mine liked to vibrate against the frame the dealer put on with rivets. Bad dealer, bad! No bone for you!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i recently found my gas cap was rattling the other day similar to what i have read on here before. i couldn't pinpoint the sound since it sounded like it was coming from somewhere else but i got lucky and found it. removed the 5 allen screws from the outside ring and applied blue threadlocker to them and let it cure for 24 hours. all fixed!

interesting thing to note is only 3/5 of those screws actually hold the cap down, two are for show and don't screw into anything LOL...strange tidbit i thought.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Finally got around to doing the fix today, thanks to Cap'n and all those who've posted here. After performing the fix precisely as demonstrated here in text and in video, went for a ride and found it was still buzzing. So took it apart again and this time got rid of the side foam pieces and built up the center foam piece. After tightening the 3 screws which hold the instrument cluster on (not the easiest screws to access especially the bottom one!) , I went for another ride and this time it seemed good; I thought I had nailed it.. But when the dust shield went back on and I took it out again, the buzz was back! I dont know for sure if it was the dust shield that was the sole offender since I hadnt tested it before I applied the foam to the back of the gauge cluster with the dust shield removed.. So its possible they were both offenders, but I know for sure, on mine, it was the dust shield and its contact with the fairing which was definitely at least part of the problem. At any rate, I applied a bunch of 3/8" wide foam bits under the dust shield where it makes contact with the front fairing near the allen screw holes... After testing it, it still buzzed, but I found that by applying pressure to the dust shield near the allen screws, I could silence it. Unlike some others, I was able to do a preliminary test with the bike parked by revving it to just over 4k a few times.. as it went through the 4k to 5k rpm zone, it would give a minor but telltale buzz if not fixed, and be silent if it was... If I could get it to be silent with this test, then that was cause to ride test it. The foam applied to the dust shield contact points with the fairing was not, in and of itself, the fix... However, I realized that perhaps i wasnt applying enough torque to the dust shield allen screws, being afraid of ruining the well nuts that the allen screws went into. By doing a portion of a turn on the long end of the allen wrench, thats all it took, with, I assume, the foam applied, to shut her up. Went for the obligatory ride, and sure enough, buzzing was gone.

Wanted to be sure and give a big shout out to Cap'n, as I wouldnt have even tried it had it not been for his excellent and detailed videos and text advice...

Update: It came back :( These plastics just want to resonate at 4k -5k rpms.. Period... However, today, after it came back and on further investigation, tapping on the upper fairing pieces that surround the gauge cluster shows rattle and looseness near the left lambchop and toward the center quick rivet between the tank and gauge cluster. That whole area on the tank side of the gauge cluster surround is suspect.. I took it apart, added a bunch of foam bits, and for the time being, that appears to have worked. We'll see if it lasts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a new 2013 650r. After owning a Jeep, I'm fairly used to squeaks and rattles... But on the bike I'll take them as a cue that the bike is calling to me, asking me to spend time on her. I've fixed just about every part on my Jeep at one point or another, and it's given me the confidence to know there isn't much I can't fix on it now. That same confidence with the Ninja will be reassuring while on the road, and if nothing else it will give me something to do in the garage on the weekends. :alcy:

Thanks for being the guinea pigs and finding this stuff out for us! Thanks also for sharing, and especially to the captain for documenting it so well in the videos!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just bought a new 2013 650r. After owning a Jeep, I'm fairly used to squeaks and rattles... But on the bike I'll take them as a cue that the bike is calling to me, asking me to spend time on her. I've fixed just about every part on my Jeep at one point or another, and it's given me the confidence to know there isn't much I can't fix on it now. That same confidence with the Ninja will be reassuring while on the road, and if nothing else it will give me something to do in the garage on the weekends. :alcy:

Thanks for being the guinea pigs and finding this stuff out for us! Thanks also for sharing, and especially to the captain for documenting it so well in the videos!
Just be aware that while most of them seem to vibrate/rattle some, the exact cause will vary on each bike, whether its the headlights, the front fairing, or the gauge cluster itself. .I made mine better after spending a day on it trying lots of remedies, but the bottom line is, it comes and goes, still... Youll see that the effects of the engine vibes on the top/front plastics between 4k and 5k rpms are brutal, and I dont have a lot of confidence that it will ever disappear completely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have good news and bad news for OP. The real problem with this rattle was discovered by the OP of this thread:

Google this: "solved-the-case-of-the-buzzing-rattle-on-2013-650"

Unfortunately I cannot post URL link because this is my first post...lame

Unfortunately his image links have long been deleted from his thread. But if you read his post you can still get a sense of what he is trying to convey even without the images. This is the ONLY solution that worked for me. In fact after reading the pasted link above you can actually SEE the plastic window INSIDE of the instrument cluster vibrating against the cluster housing with your own eyes if you look closely and use a flashlight. Again, this is a problem within the instrument cluster itself, NOT the surrounding components. This is why so many riders were still having problems with the rattle after trying to silence it simply with foam stripping.

NOTE: You will have to disassemble the actual instrument cluster ITSELF and apply this fix from the OP thread found above.

Do this and you will be filled with joy, love and a strong desire to simply sit on your Ninja all while revving it rattle-free!

A thought:
For some riders the fix suggested by the OP of this thread was temporary and for others sometimes "permanent". I theorize that the additional foam stripping was just enough to tweak/malform/slightly bend the instrument housing (at a micro level) when the instrument cluster was bolted down hard against the frame...to the extant the rattle was fixed. When looking at the internal plastic window vibrating on the internal housing one can see that a very fine rattle is the cause of such an annoying and loud noise. Quell that noise and rejoice!

Hope this makes sense...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts