RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Vaquero has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. I had it towed in because the tranny locked between 1st and 2nd. I couldn't shift it out of 2nd.

The service department just called to tell me the shifter forks were bent. He said that could "only" be caused by hard riding. He also suggested it wasn't covered under warranty for this reason (abuse). Of course I haven't been hard on my bike and no I don't race it. I am just a normal rider who put 12k miles on it in two years. Well after a few calls let's just say they are going to fix it under warranty but I wonder if anyone else on the forum has experienced or heard of this problem on the Vaquero?

On a side note, I had previously mentioned hard shifting between 1st and 2nd back at 5k miles and again at 7. They said nothing was out of the ordinary back then. Lucky I kept those service order notes. Don't throw those out guys!!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Welcome to rider forums. I have only heard of a couple Vulcan 1700s that had transmission issues. Their issues happened in 5 gear at highway speeds. The repair was covered under warranty. It is in the dealers interest to not repair under warranty because they get paid a reduced rate from Kawasaki. If you have a relationship with them they are more likely to go to bat for you. I have 45,000 miles on my '10 Voyager and no tranny issues.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Your dealer is a joke. It's not up to them to make that call...it's up to Kawasaki. They should be on your side. It can only benefit them to do so.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It may very well be abuse-- from some idiot hitting it hard in the showroom before you ever bought it. You documented the problem with them several times. They need to fix it. Try to work with Kawasaki, not the dealer. If that doesn't get you anywhere pretty quickly, lawyer up and ask for a buy-back under your state's lemon law.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts