RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts and mod gurus - just wondering if this is feasible, and if so at what cost? Had my Scarlet about a year, but would love to throw OEM ABS from the 2012 model on her.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Anything is possible, some things just aren't practical. Go to one of the online parts houses and compare the ABS and non ABS bikes. You'll be able to see right away all the parts you would need. The ABS pump alone is $881. The ecu if you can't use the existing one is $657. A few hundred more in speed sensors, lines, brackets, etc...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Probably cheaper to trade for a 2012 and buy the red parts!

·
Registered
706 Posts
And a new main wiring harness... On and on...

As JSharp said, it's just not practical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well damn.. That's not really in the cards for me. Hard enough to get the wife to go along with small mods, lol. Thanks for the input though guys, really appreciate it.

I've made it this far without ABS, might as well leave it as is :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh. Took Scarlet in for her 4k service and new tires today. Wife made the mistake of not picking me up for an hour and after looking at everything in person I see this as a doable modification still.

I just checked a bunch of OEM parts websites and everyone is right:

2 speed sensor rotors (1 front, 1 rear)
2 speed sensors (1 front, 1 rear)
1 main harness (stupid two plug difference..)
pump assembly
2 hose assemblies (1 front, 1 rear)

Do not see where this hooks into the ECU on the parts websites yet, so I might not have to bite the bullet there... Honestly, my bike is almost paid off and this looks to be a roughly 2,000 modification. For me - it would be cheaper to do the modification myself.

I want to keep my bike, I just want it to take a few parts from a (hope I don't jinx anyone!!) cadaver/donor 2012 ABS model..

Thank you all for the help! There's a local custom bike shop in Vista, CA that does all sorts of crazy modifications (Like an automatic GSX-R 750). I think I'll meet up with them and see what a ballpark estimate is, since they'll be more in tune with buying parts from totalled bikes. I will keep you guys updated if I actually get some traction with this!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well, if you used all Kawasaki OE parts they'd just bolt on and work. Nothing would need to be fabricated. I suppose that's the upside...

It's a good point about depreciation. These things lose value so fast that the parts might not cost any more if you can scrounge them from places like FleaBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts