RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmmm.....looks like I know what I'll be stepping up to when (if) I ever outgrow my 650R!
I would be going that path too but it wont have the awesome 650r sound. so i want another 650r

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice write-up. If I didn't absolutely LOVE the look of the Z1000, I might be annoyed by the new Ninja 1000. It sounds like it has a little more upright riding position, and between that, the windscreen, and the larger gas tank, it would be very appealing.

I do wonder if those side boxes might be something adaptable to the Z. I hope to do some sport touring of my own on my Z, for trips when I don't care to take my DR650.

Rob

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think it was a nice write up as well. I think this is going to be a thinking man's bike, in that, upon first glance the uninitiated think "crotch-rocket" and the sportbikers may think its doesn't have the "stones". (But we know otherwise :glassesti )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great but I'm hooked on the naked(ish) streetfighter riding since getting my Z1000 so this doesn't float my boat as much as it would have a year ago.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agreed. Nine months ago I would have been all over the Ninja 1000, but I love my bike more and more each time I ride it. It gets a LOT of attention, whether parked or stopped at a light. Lots of stares, people pointing, etc. :)

Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Funny, in Europe it is not named Ninja, But Z1000SX. I wonder if it has something to do with insurance costs etc!? A ZX10R (Ninja) surely cost alot more to insure than a Z1000 over here.
I noticed that the swingarm is 5mm longer, at the SX over the Z1000, and weight increase are told to be only 1Kg more than the Z1000 (i think it sounds a bit under rated)?
If i were to buy a Z1000 and do a full exhaust mod, with PC and airfilter, it would cost as much as a Ducce Streetfighter (non S version).
No prices released, as of yet, at the Z1000SX.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently test rode a Z1000 at a demo ride and was absolutely floored. I was dead set on buying it until I discovered the Ninja 1000. Now I'm terribly conflicted on which I want to get, and I didn't get a chance to ride the N1k at the demo ride.

Z1000 Pros:
Shorter gearing (I think this is right)
Looks much better
More fun without all the plastic

N1K Pros:
More wind protection, adjustable windscreen
Hard bags easily added
Extra gallon of gas
Much better instrumentation

Do you guys think the N1k is going to perform noticeably different from the Z1k? This is really my biggest concern. The Z1000 was just so much damn fun and the engine was amazing. I don't want to lose that for comfort.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hadn't heard anything about gearing changes on the N1k. After some study, I determined that the Z's stock gearing is identical to that of the CBR1000RR. I suppose it could stand to be slightly taller, but really, I don't think it's a huge deal.

The ONLY real advantage _I_ see with the N1k is the extra gallon of gas. The windscreen would be nice, yeah, but each person really needs to figure this out for themselves. Meaning one man's ideal windscreen is a buffeting piece of crap for another. I have my Z1000 set now. I put the ERMAX screen on mine and then elevated it another half inch with longer spacers on two of the screws, and it's perfect.

I bet it will be possible to adapt the hard bags to the Z1000. If not, I already know Givi makes a top-case mount for it... I have it, but it doesn't work with aftermarket tailkits, so I have some cutting and welding to do to make it fit. It won't be hard, but will take an afternoon when I have the time and access to the tools.

The instrumentation on the Z is fine. Yeah it'd be nice to have a real tach, but I can read the bargraph tach just fine. And, when you're WOT, if you're looking at either tach, you're likely to be dead soonafter anyway. ;)

Also, the N1k will weigh a good 20 lbs more than the Z, so there's a slight performance difference there if you want to get picky.

IMO... if you can find a leftover 2010 Z1000 at a good price, jump on it. But if you're paying anywhere near MSRP, the N1k is definitely worth consideration. I think it will be every bit as much fun as the Z.

Clear as mud? :)

Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Excellent reply Rob, thanks! To be fair, the majority of those extra 20 pounds has to be the extra gallon of fuel and the extra plastic :)

I think I'm leaning more towards the Z1000, partially because of what you mentioned in that I can probably find a leftover 2010 model for a bit cheaper. There's a nearby dealership selling them for $8700 base price and $9800 "out the door" after all fees and taxes. May be even lower when I go to buy it in January. There's also another $500 off with Kawasaki's current promotion, assuming I buy it before 12/31 or if it spills over a little into the new year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you can, get it now. There's no guarantee a leftover 2010 will be around in January. Just work on the dealer. You can get it cheap enough. I got mine for $7800, though I took a $1500 hit on my trade, which was to be expected. Add in $200 in dealer/reg fees and I was set. Oregon has no sales tax which is nice.

Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Graduating in December, won't have a full-time job to afford the bike until January. Insurance for us youngins ain't cheap and I doubt I'd get financing without full-time income.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We picked one up this week. We had the rear shock and front forks redone too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
...Insurance for us youngins ain't cheap...
This kind of statement always makes me laugh. I mean it's true no doubt... but young people always say stuff about how hard they have it as though older people have always been older or had it easy back in the day. I know this is true because I was a young man once, paid plenty at the time too... and at a time when I had so little. Not that there is anything wrong with this, it's part of growing up... it just is what it is. Someday you'll snicker when your insurance renewal arrives and it is a fraction of what it is today. Then you'll read some post on a forum from a 20 something telling how his insurance is so much $... which will be true. He he... hang in there. Insurance goes down as you become less of a risk. I know you know this... We all pay our dues, it's just your turn to pay more. :killingme

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man, I got a chance to see the new 2011 Z1000 and the new ninja 1000.
Being a Z1000 (2004) owner, i expected to love the new Z1000, but it was the Ninja 1000 that took my breath away. I know what my next bike purchase is going to be. That bike is beautiful!

I'm gonna force them to let me test drive it - they said I could if i rode my z1000 up there so they know i can handle a liter bike.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Just got my Motorcycle Consumer News the other day. They rode and reviewed the Ninja 1000. They loved it, gave it 5 out of 5 stars, and favorite streetbike of 2010.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts