RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I fell over on my new Z1000 today. The bike is 99.8% ok, but there is a bit of a scrape on bottom-front of the clutch cover.

I know I could just replace the cover, but I'm not sure how much that would cost. It would probably just be easier and cheaper to paint the affected area with touch up spray.

I know the 2010 Z1000's have a glossy black finish.

Can anyone recommend a good touch up paint to use? Preferably one that is similar the engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Are there after market case covers you can buy yet? I would look into those, I have fallen over on my bike on both sides and thankfully I had case covers. They did get scratched up but not as noticable if it were just a case cover.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought my Z with a scrape on the left side engine cover. I used a dremel tool to smooth down the scratches, then bought some semi-gloss engine paint from autozone. It's good for 500 degrees. It matches pretty well and since its low on the bike, nobody will even notice.

I think it's rustoleum engine paint. Should be easy to find at any parts store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my Z with a scrape on the left side engine cover. I used a dremel tool to smooth down the scratches, then bought some semi-gloss engine paint from autozone. It's good for 500 degrees. It matches pretty well and since its low on the bike, nobody will even notice.

I think it's rustoleum engine paint. Should be easy to find at any parts store.
Yeah. I bought the same stuff from advance auto.

I've been doing tests on other things to see how it would come out. So far, it seems like it may be able to do the trick.

How many coats did you put on?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was in a hurry when i did mine, it was about 2am, and I was drunk. Obviously I wasn't riding.... So what I did was spray some of the paint into the cap, and used a little model paintbrush to put two coats on. My scratches were just a small area, and on the left side, so...when it's on the kickstand you can't even see it. I wasn't too worried about doing the greatest job. Like i said i bought it that way, so I just wanted a quick fix, but it actually turned out really well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After trying the rust-olium on metal, I noticed it came out a bit too glossy.

I tried the duplicote and that seemed to work a bit better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts