RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have checked through this forum and found many topics on clutch adjustment but none of them seem to fix my problem. I have 2010 ninja 650R with about 14000km (8 699 miles) on it and the clutch is slipping under load (hard acceleration). I have adjusted the adjustment screw at the clutch all the way in and still nothing has improved. So I have moved onto the clutch adjuster near to the actual clutch plate (IE further down the line). However, I have adjusted what the manual calls the adjuster in both directions (IE turned it to the left testing and then to the right and testing) and I am still getting slip under high load. So does this mean I need a new clutch plate or any I am doing something wrong (I admit the bottom adjustment nut has me a little confused).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Maybe your clutch springs are flogged out. Might be time to upgrade to Barnett clutch springs.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeah, you probably won't be clutching with one finger anymore lol.

you'll notice the difference right away, especially if you let go of the lever after its pulled in, it snaps back pretty hard. I'd recommend doing it next time you have to replace the oil, since you'll be draining it anyway - if you're thinking about switching over to synthetic, that'd be a great time to do it.

Some things I ran into were:
1) DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SPRING BOLTS the ends will snap, forcing you to order a new one... but worse than that is, if it snaps too far down you'll have a MAJOR headache getting the 2nd half out of the hole. (don't ask how I know :p)
2) clutch cover might be kinda tough to get back on, I ended up using a rubber mallet on the side to help line up the holes.

good luck if/when you choose to do it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like Im having the same issue. my bike is going on 17000 miles.
The hollow freeplay adjusting bolt next to the lever snapped on the freeway going 90. Now my bike wont exceed 30 miles per hour on any gear im in. I will attempt to replace the clutch kit with a Barnett kit, im looking into the 18% stronger springs but im a bit confused on the material for the friction plates Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, etc.
If someone could help out in this matter please feel free.
BTW im running synthetic on the bike already.

On a side note. I feel that replacing the stock kit is for the best. But if I were to just replace the springs, the bike would run? Just want to recognize this in the future.

·
Banned
786 Posts
yeah, you probably won't be clutching with one finger anymore lol.

you'll notice the difference right away, especially if you let go of the lever after its pulled in, it snaps back pretty hard. I'd recommend doing it next time you have to replace the oil, since you'll be draining it anyway - if you're thinking about switching over to synthetic, that'd be a great time to do it.

Some things I ran into were:
1) DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SPRING BOLTS the ends will snap, forcing you to order a new one... but worse than that is, if it snaps too far down you'll have a MAJOR headache getting the 2nd half out of the hole. (don't ask how I know :p)
2) clutch cover might be kinda tough to get back on, I ended up using a rubber mallet on the side to help line up the holes.

good luck if/when you choose to do it

I didn't drain my oil. On the kickstand you really don't lose any either. I lost less than 1 oz. you can get the exact same size bolts from autozone. I snapped 2, lol. Next time you bust a low torque bolt, try dabbing a bit of superglue on the end of a nail, stick it to the broken bolt and let it dry, then just twist it out. I managed to use some needlenose pliars and pushed them against it to twist ut out.

I also put shorty levers on mine, so I still 2 finger clutch. It's a major pain in stop-and-go traffic though.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Sounds like Im having the same issue. my bike is going on 17000 miles.
The hollow freeplay adjusting bolt next to the lever snapped on the freeway going 90. Now my bike wont exceed 30 miles per hour on any gear im in. I will attempt to replace the clutch kit with a Barnett kit, im looking into the 18% stronger springs but im a bit confused on the material for the friction plates Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, etc.
If someone could help out in this matter please feel free.
BTW im running synthetic on the bike already.

On a side note. I feel that replacing the stock kit is for the best. But if I were to just replace the springs, the bike would run? Just want to recognize this in the future.
If your bike won't exceed 30 mph I think you're having different issues. The freeplay adjustment bolt pulls the clutch cable tight, so if it was over adjusted your clutch wouldn't engage all the way, but with it broke, I'd think it wouldn't disengage all the way when you tried pulling it... Are you sure a safety limiter hasn't been tripped preventing your bike from exceeding 30 mph? What kind of full synthetic are you using? I don't think just replacing clutch springs is going to solve your issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts