RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sweet bike! Almost hard to believe there's a ninja 650 under there. Great Pics.
So as an update to the build.

The bike helped me win two class championships and #6 overall at WSMC in 2009. I am still a little slower on it than my old SV and have not fully adapted to the different engine characteristics but I still get the impression it turns better than the SV and I know the straight line speed is better (I'm just slower on corner entry and exit).

I lowsided it in February (cold tires in morning practice with 45F air temp) and and the Woodcraft sliders were instrumental to minimizing the damages. I ended up with a small dent / scrape on the tank, and some rashed body and that's about it. I had it race ready in less than an hour after the crash including putting new tires on it.

I got the bike repainted with some gracious help form Cyclemall and more folks are now letting me know how much they didn't like the previous orange and black. :barf: Ha!

I have a PCV and Autotune on it and with a little tweaking on the dyno at Cyclemall, it is putting out about 86HP or so with a top end that just keeps going. It made less on the Hypercycle dyno when it was fresh but that could be part not fully broken in and part dyno to dyno variation. At any rate, keeping it on boil between 9krpm and 11krpm should make this thing fly, and I hope to get my lap times down more in the future.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice.
You can thank Arata for the hp not dropping off @ 10k.
What fuel are you running?
I've let a couple of top SV racers take mine out for a session.
They all say the same as you.
Just the opposite with me. I was almost a second faster at every track,
on the 650R over by built SV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The dyno run was done with HP4S fuel (it's in small type on the dyno plot). My corner entry problem is too much engine braking compared to the SV. I think the high compression pistons and a heavier crankshaft might be part of the reason. I have a theory that a slipper clutch will pick up my corner entry speed, and that will carry through the corner a little better and put me at better rpm's on corner exit.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The dyno run was done with HP4S fuel (it's in small type on the dyno plot). My corner entry problem is too much engine braking compared to the SV. I think the high compression pistons and a heavier crankshaft might be part of the reason. I have a theory that a slipper clutch will pick up my corner entry speed, and that will carry through the corner a little better and put me at better rpm's on corner exit.
I thought you had a slipper. Makes a hell of a big difference in corner entry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Kevin said a slipper took off 1+ seconds at Willow and I didn't believe him. I think a good rider can ride without one but I think I would benefit from one. If I could use my Bridgestone contingency to buy one I would be golden... :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
it is putting out about 86HP or so with a top end that just keeps going.
86!
Damn I'm about 9 down on you, but I only have cams, and some throttle body work
I so wish I could do the Cal State Championship, and come down to Willow again.
I really should get a slipper.
With the amount of shifting we have to do at Sears Pt I know it would help.
Hell just adding a quick shifter knocked almost a second off my laps.
:smashfrea

·
Registered
518 Posts
What did they do to the motor?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Long time since there was an update. The bike ran strong throughout the 2010 season and even though I had to miss a double points weekend for family, I got 7th overall and won 3 class championships on it at Willow Springs. I ended up running a 1:30 on it and just missed 29's by a tenth. I replaced the 2-way Penske with a 3-way Elka and that was nice. The high and low speed adjustment was definitely a nice feature. No matter the brand, I would recommend a 3-way shock on this bike to make up for the lack of a linkage.

Since then, I moved out East to Connecticut and haven't gotten to race out here yet. I'll be looking to hit New Jersey Motorsports Park next year with the bike. I pretty much missed the 2011 season but am looking forward to getting back out there in 2012. Bike still looks good and is running strong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reviving this, if the OP is still active. What part # Ohlins damper you used? And, what was the fork mount part #? Reason I ask, Zoran will make me the damper mount and incidentally I also have ZX-10 R frontend to swap with

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just for posterity, I raced this bike in MotoAmerica this year! Updated to a 2 mil overbore, installed 2016 ZX-6 forks with K-Tech cartridges and Nissin monoblock calipers, Brembo RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder, and an OZ front wheel. Bike made 92HP on the new build with VP MGP fuel. I’ve been racing this thing for 10 years and it’s still doing well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AusEr6guy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Heck yeah that's awesome! Great to see our bike still out there in the field, of a professional race series no less.

Can't believe you hopped that thing up to 92hp! Good on ya! I have been racing mine for 5 years now and I'm just sending it out for a mild SS build this upcoming year. Hoping I'll be around 70hp+.

Hey, we should be in your neck of the woods on July 4th weekend in NJMP. The LRRS series is making it's way down there for a points earning event with CCS. Hopefully you can schedule that in and we can meet. Not too many other 650's in the fields.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts