RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure how many people read this section of the forum, however, im sure ill get a few response's. Im picking this bike up next week and i've been trying to do some research on the bike. I know it was 2001 bike of the year for 600's and its obviously a tried and trued bike. Being a college student on a tight budget it is really all i can afford and figured it would be the best bang for my buck brand new. I was just curious if anyone has ever ridden one and what is your feedback. Unfortunately i cannot perform a test ride on it because these new jersey dealerships are caught up in liability issues. any opinions would be great.

p.s i already ordered a fender eliminator kit for it :ithank: hope im not jumpin the gun haha

·
Registered
629 Posts
I haven't ridden one, but the reviews I've read are very positive. The ZZR600 was the 00-02 ZX-6R, so it is definitely a high performance bike. I have actually been eyeing it as a replacement for my 02 ZR-7S. I say go for it, just be conservative initially until you get used to the performance. The only downside I have read about the bike is that the suspension needs to be upgraded.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
it's a solid bike. even if the suspension issues aren't ironed out, I am sure that it is more than enough bike and chances are you'll never push it so far to make it an issue. the only thing i have heard from other people is that it is carb not FI. once again, I don't think that for your needs it will be a great issue. you'll be more than happy, it's an attractive bike, it's fast and there is a giant aftermarket for it and parts galore. good luck man, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
jsmith6 is right...the ZZR 600 is carbureted, not fuel injected. He's also right about tons of modifications being available for this bike.

I came very close to buying one of these a couple years ago instead of my VFR. Never did get to test ride one, but still hope to someday. Though it's a older machine compared to today's supersports, this is still one heck of a nice sportbike. Definitely not a slow, tame bike. Treat it with a lot of respect, as it will bite you quick if you get too happy with the throttle too soon.

Instrumentation isn't the best, but it has the basics (but no fuel gauge). Wind/weather protection is good compared to most sportbikes. Should be cheaper to insure than most newer sportbikes. Has a good sized tank, so range is very good. If I remember correctly, the tank has a reserve you'll have to access using a fuel petcock. Not sure about fuel economy, but I'm guessing it averages 40+ mpg. Suspension is adequate for the average rider. You may want to upgrade it for more serious riding later on.

Again, tho this is an older design now, it was once Kawasaki's flagship 600cc sportbike. You need to realize some people (and police) will see it as a 'crotch rocket'.

One thing I would ask is why buy a 2008? As far as I know, they've been making this bike exactly the same for the last few years. You could save yourself a lot on insurance by buying an older one. Might already have a couple good mods on it, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TimC you make a valid point as to buying used. Im very stubborn and i have gone down the "used" road a few times not with streetbikes but with quads and dirtbikes. I just don't like the potential risk of picking up someone elses headaches anymore just to save money in the short term because i've found myself losing money in the long term because of going the used route. The way i take care of my belongings is meticulous and somewhat obsessive so i basically wouldn't be satisfied if i were to get a used bike. Im not comfortable with not knowing what its really been through so i decided to go new and by going new im doing it right once. I have never bought anything new and i think for the first time in my life buying a new streetbike isn't such a bad idea. Thanks for the replies. I like what i hear and i am continuing to build confidence in this bike

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
...it still is a crotch rocket! name change or not (nice try Kawi!). I would echo the "used bike" idea also, unless a dealer makes you some offer on a new one that just cannot be passed up. as for MPG, my 07 ZX6R get 39-45 depending on how hard I flog it, so I would say it is similar although a buddy of mine with the actual ZX6R (before they named it ZZR600) said he gets 40 tops. Try and find someone with one, pick their brain, then buy it out from under them. A wad of cash can change anyones mind about not selling....

·
Registered
130 Posts
i had an 05 for 2 years-great bike,you wont be disappointed.you can probably get a good deal from the dealer on one also (around 7 OTD).

you can pick up a Jardine slip-on for around 225 bux (get the race baffle) which sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
TimC you make a valid point as to buying used. Im very stubborn and i have gone down the "used" road a few times not with streetbikes but with quads and dirtbikes. I just don't like the potential risk of picking up someone elses headaches anymore just to save money in the short term because i've found myself losing money in the long term because of going the used route. The way i take care of my belongings is meticulous and somewhat obsessive so i basically wouldn't be satisfied if i were to get a used bike. Im not comfortable with not knowing what its really been through so i decided to go new and by going new im doing it right once.
I know what you mean. Sometimes you just want to be sure. With many sportbikes, even low miles might not been the bike hasn't been abused.

When I was shopping for a VFR two years ago I really wanted a brand new bike. But I found a mint condition, bone-stock '04 with only 4200 miles on it - being sold by a guy who takes excellent care of his vehicles. We came to a fair agreement on price and I bought it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'll put my two cents in and say mine is for sale for $4500 obo - It is a nice bike - Runs right with the Z1000 and I actually prefer the riding postition on the ZZR.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I had a 250R on order, but Kawasaki may have cancelled it, my dealer hasn't heard anything yet. I think it was suppossed to be delivered yesterday, but being in Iraq it's a little tough to keep up solid comms with the dealer.
Anywho's... If the 250R doesn't go through, I'm going to pick up a ZZR600.
The bike is more capable than anything I can throw at it. Compared to the new SS's it's outdated, but It's still more than I'll ever need.

The price is great considering what you're getting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had one for 18K miles...loved it soooooo much, my reason for getting the z1k is more power, not that the zzr didnt have it, it just didnt have it down low, fantastic, reliable, solid bike. I got almost 55mpg average. seriously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys i got her. I dont have a membership to any sites to post up the picture of her when i got it at the dealership but you all know what it looks like. I got it in black. Picked it up wednesday and i have 220 miles on it already:dance: I honestly cant get enough of it. I bumped the compression damping both front and back and now she isn't as bouncy in the turns. Sometimes it sucks weighing 210lbs for bikes setup for guys in the mid 100lb range. The bike is super stable though, i pretty much have 100% confidence in turns. Man i cant wait until that 600 mile maintnence is up so i can really start rippin it. Anyway thanks for the advice and what not, i defnately made the right choice!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
sonny....I am at Buerhing awaiting processing to in-country. I am coming for you. Maybe we can get some bikes, trip wire and go fer a ride!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I wonder if you'll go through Tallil.
Good luck with the wireless internet there, that pissed me off.
If you have anyone at Tallil, have them look me up at the 542nd.
They can ask for SPC or CPL Deal.
I'll be at "ali asaleem" on Friday to fly out on R and R.

Damn shame I won't be at buehring !

Oh, on subject, I bought the ZZR for $6995 otd. I pick it up next Tuesday.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congrats!!!! i keep hearing these prices and i keep laughing my *** off, keep them up! my dealer gave me 5K TRADE IN on my 18K mile 06 :ithank::ithank: Glad they didn't catch thier mistake before i could sign the papers :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I was looking at the ZZR600, but I told myself that the next bike will be FI so that's one reason I turned away from it. IMO all 2008 street bikes should be FI. The ZZR is a great looking bike and should last a long time.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
probably not...

it's going to be straight from ali al saleem to mosul or saleem to BIAP to mosul saleem isn't bad, don't let those stupid civilians push you around though. they tried that crap with me and i got smart....and about kicked off my flight.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I RARELY get in trouble, I just hide out when I'm on any new post or situation.
You? Not so much!

The only drawback IS the carbs on the ZZR.
There are positives too though. Carbs are cheaper to modify and I fully understand how to tune and synchronize them.
I did enjoy programming my bike with my laptop but I like tuning with my hands too.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
oddly enough Sonny, it seems that when you and I run into each other, we BOTH get in trouble. at least (as of 1Sept) as a CPT, I can get away with a lot more crap.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Congrats in advance Captain. My XO thinks she has a friend in your unit or battalion (another Captain), but I can't remember the info at the moment.

We'll get in trouble again. Good news is I'm well supported by my unit this time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts