RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I did it this weekend...tore my 2006 Z750S down so I could take out and put in a new head cover gasket. Almost everything is back on except the gas tank. Here is why I'm posting: I'm an amateur mechanic. My biggest concern is always torquing. I don't really trust my torque wrench and the digital torque adapter I also have. Especially when threads are soak in oil. I'm extremely concerned about stripping the threads in the engine(which would seem to completely destroy the bike). I tightened the head cover bolts down by hand till I couldn't go anymore. Then I started wrenching some in order and it turned really easy and never seemed to get tight(I know my torque tools to know it wouldn't even register so I didn't even get to them). I just couldn't get myself to get the torque tools out and go until it got tight for fear it will strip the threads. I have them all so that there is no obvious seams/openings on the gasket. It looks tight. All bolts are giving some tightness. From my recall 87 in-lbs isn't super tight(the official setting).

2 Questions:

1. When I try it Tuesday what should I look for in case it failed? Will the gasket literally blow away out from the head cover? Will an engine light go one?
2. What is the front left sensor within the head? Is the sensor only the little metal nipple in the center of the rubber? Or is there more to that sensor past the rubber? I ask because I always had a little leak in the front left like I heard everyone has and I though maybe it is the big gap between the rubber plug of the sensor and the hole made for it in the the head cover. So I tried to fill that gap with black gasket sealant. Was that totally stupid or what? I'm hoping that sensor is just the little metal piece which I left alone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The gasket you replaced sounds like the head cover gasket, (or valve camshaft cover gasket) not the head gasket??? Get yourself a good inch pound torque wrench and torque it to spec. These are two fragile tu try tew tighten by hand. 87 inch pounds is about 7 foot pounds, but a foot pound torque wrench will not be accurate enough at that low of a range. The Harbor freight torque wrenches are a pile of cow dung. You don't have to buy a professional mechanics wrench but you do need one that is fairly accurate. Some parts stores will rent you one as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Pual.

I just went with it as it was. So far after 4 smaller rides it seems to be okay. No leaks visible.

Now onto taking engine holder bolts off to install sliders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts