RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a UK spec 2004 ZR-7 with a dynojet and K&N filter fitter. All carbs are set to the same needle height but one cylinder is running rich. The bike also hesitates at low RPM.

There are loads of old threads on this forum that look like they originally had pictures but I guess those threads are so old now, the photos are gone.

Can someone point me to the location of the mixture screws on my UK spec'd bike. I assume I need to wind it out (anti-clockwise) to weaken the mixture? The other 3 cylinders seem to be running around the same colour on the spark plugs...

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The arrows show where they are. They may be covered by caps if they've never been adjusted (as per the 2nd pic)
I'll find the old write up shortly and post it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's perfect, thanks.

I only need to tweak the mixture on one of the outside carbs. I guess 1/4 of a turn at a time? Do I need to rebalance the carbs if im meddling with the mixture?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The common best spot is about 2 1/2 turns out. You gently turn them clockwise until they stop, then turn them back out.

If you end up completely removing them there's an order for the parts to go back in. It goes rubber o ring, washer, spring, needle. It's not uncommon for the O ring to stay inside, or go bad as mine did and i had to replace them.

Here's the bad ones (in bits on the top)

And here's the new ones.

I likely could have just found new o-rings and made sure I got all the old bits out of the carbs, but I put in new everything just to be sure.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
1/4 at a time is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I've never balanced my carbs and I've had them apart and cleaned at least 4 times. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I assume screwing the jets clockwise in to the carb weakens the mixture(gives more air) because the jets are on the engine side of the carb.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I forget if they adjust the air or the fuel. Normally they adjust air if the screws are before the carb, and fuel if they are after the carb - but I can't recall for sure. The are called pilot air screw, so I'm going with air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts