RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have found a lot of info on a zx636 arm into a 750, but can not verify if the 1st gen z1000 arm will bolt into a 1st gen z750. Pictures look like the linkage offset on the z1000 arm is on the opposite side, but I thought the frames were interchangable.

Can anyone lend a hand?

My 2004 z750 has been updated with 1997 zx6 41mm fully adjustable forks and a 2006(ish) zx636 shock. I am now looking to replace the steel arm with an aluminum jobbie, and am hoping for the easiest bolt in swap. I have also looked at the 1st gen zx636 unbraced arm.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI, Sorry for hijacking your post. Need a few info. I got a z750 2004 and looking into the same mods as you. Can you please share some info how you did the ZX6 fork conversion?

Also did you mange to get any info on the Z1000 swing arm. Have been searching the web couple of month now with no luck. Thanks you. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all,

I have found a lot of info on a zx636 arm into a 750, but can not verify if the 1st gen z1000 arm will bolt into a 1st gen z750. Pictures look like the linkage offset on the z1000 arm is on the opposite side, but I thought the frames were interchangable.

Can anyone lend a hand?
My 2004 z750 has been updated with 1997 zx6 41mm fully adjustable forks and a 2006 zx636 shock. I am now looking to replace the steel arm with an aluminum jobbie, and am hoping for the easiest bolt in swap. I have also looked at the 1st gen zx636 unbraced arm.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
G
I am not sure on the 2004 but the 05-06 Z750S swing arm has the shock mounts located with the shock mount offset to the left and the 03-06 first gen Z1000 swing arm is located on the right so they are not compatible.
I have seen a thread on here for both a unbraced ZX6R and the newer braced swing arms but they both required some form of modification to fit.
I am in possession of a swing arm from a 1997 ZX9R that I was going to try and mount up.
I will let you know if/how it works out for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
unfortunately 04 -06 750's are all the same. Shame cause a friend was selling a very cheap z1000 swing arm but no luck there.

One more question please. You said you got 1997 zx6 41mm fork on the Z750. Did you use the calipers and axle from the same model? or you got the upper form and used it with your Z's lower forks? If you did the last one how did you fit the over sized hex bolt on the bottom of the forks.

Again thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
unfortunately 04 -06 750's are all the same. Shame cause a friend was selling a very cheap z1000 swing arm but no luck there.

One more question please. You said you got 1997 zx6 41mm fork on the Z750. Did you use the calipers and axle from the same model? or you got the upper form and used it with your Z's lower forks? If you did the last one how did you fit the over sized hex bolt on the bottom of the forks.

Again thank you very much for your help.
The first poster has the 1997 front end so maybe he can answer this.
I also have a front end coming from a 1997 ZX6R F model.
It looks like the wheels are a direct swap (same bearings) but wont be able to confirm anything until I get the front end in.
If you check out the ZR-7 forums you can find quite a bit of info regarding this swap although the ZR-7 front wheel is not the same as 04-06 Z750.
What I read about using the stock 1997 ZX6R calipers is that they tend to require frequent servicing to keep them working properly.
Their are a lot of options on calipers with these forks as opposed to our standard forks that have that odd caliper spacing which requires adapters and limits you to specific caliper spacing as well which can be pretty expensive in the long run.
After looking at this route (because I have already put $ into springs and Matris cartridge kit) for my stock modified forks I decided it would be less expensive to go the ZX6 F model forks route instead of the more popular 2004-06 ZX6R USD forks/brakes/wheel with 03-06 Z1000 triples because the costs to obtain all of these parts has become rather expensive by the time you are all done
I also decided to go with the Nissin calipers from the first gen Z1000 that will bolt up to the ZX6R fork with minimal modifications and the use of some special bolts I sourced from a link on the ZR-7 forum and ordered through my local Fastenal dealer.
I got all of the required information from these forums as well as the ZR-7 forum.
I am estimating the total costs to do this conversion with everything (the used parts, new upgrade springs, gold valves, seals, and oil) is going to run @ $4-500.00 versus $7-800.00 to go USD forks.
Once I have my front end done I am going to sell the Matris cartridges, springs and some custom preload adjustable fork caps.
Will list them here on the for sale area and if no one buys them I will put them on Ebay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would take those cartridges off you but postage to UK + customs would be a killer. Thank you for all the info though and apologies again for hijacking your post.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been wondering if the 1st gen z1000 swingarm fits the early z750 for awhile. It's a shame they won't work. Funny they would do that when the frame is virtually the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts