·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Z 1000
81,000 kms
Stock exhaust shortened 2" top/4" bottom
Stock airbox lid cut

I'm having trouble with my Z cutting out, most notably when slowing coming into town after a long highway ride. Starts well, idles well and rode find on the highway for ~100 kms. However when I pulled into the city after the highway ride and slowed from 120 km/h to around 50 km/h, the bike died at a stoplight. When I shut the key off and turning it back on to crank it again, the FI light was flashing steadily while cranking. Same problem for the next 10 minutes as I tried off and on to start it, then it fired right up and idled and drove fine. I had the same problem on my return trip (ok on the highway, died when slowing in town, wait a while and bike starts fine).

It seems to me like something is overheating, but when traveling at higher speeds on the highway there is enough air flow to cool it. Coolant level is good, and the fan still comes on automatically at 100 degrees celsius as it should. I replaced the fuel pump in the last 8,000 kms while diagnosing another problem. It was very hot outside while experiencing this problem, however I have ridden in similar weather with no problems in the past. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
2003 Z 1000
81,000 kms
Stock exhaust shortened 2" top/4" bottom
Stock airbox lid cut

I'm having trouble with my Z cutting out, most notably when slowing coming into town after a long highway ride. Starts well, idles well and rode find on the highway for ~100 kms. However when I pulled into the city after the highway ride and slowed from 120 km/h to around 50 km/h, the bike died at a stoplight. When I shut the key off and turning it back on to crank it again, the FI light was flashing steadily while cranking. Same problem for the next 10 minutes as I tried off and on to start it, then it fired right up and idled and drove fine. I had the same problem on my return trip (ok on the highway, died when slowing in town, wait a while and bike starts fine).

It seems to me like something is overheating, but when traveling at higher speeds on the highway there is enough air flow to cool it. Coolant level is good, and the fan still comes on automatically at 100 degrees celsius as it should. I replaced the fuel pump in the last 8,000 kms while diagnosing another problem. It was very hot outside while experiencing this problem, however I have ridden in similar weather with no problems in the past. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
I've heard that if your timing is advanced at all or off a tooth the bike will not start once it gets hot...have you messed with the timing at all? You might also want to check your battery.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was going to say fuel pump until you said you replaced it. Symptoms are dead on for a weak pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When your bike cut out, did you loose power ie. dash went blank?
This is happening to mine ! Last summer, it was cutting out , all winter great, getting warm now, cuts out again

Help guys !!!!

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
When your bike cut out, did you loose power ie. dash went blank?
This is happening to mine !
May be a different problem.
When everything goes dead and there is no "smoke" then you have to suspect
the battery or the main cable connections or maybe a loose main fuse.

If the battery is over 3 years old, I'd be thinking about replacing it.......after I removed, cleaned and reconnected ALL of the
main power points.....and the fuse.

Could be related to the ignition switch too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you checked your valve clearances lately. If they are on the tight side a hot motor will make it worse and you will loose compression which causes low RPM problems. It would be almost unnoticable at higher RPM's. They almost always tighten as opposed to becoming loose because of the valves settling in the valve seat as the motor wears over time. While you have the tank and all the crap off checking the valve clearances also run a compression and leak down test. Then you will know your motor is OK. I would then have a fuel pump pressure test run as that will tell the tail of the pump. The pump will not work with just the key on as the motor has to be running so you have to bypass all that crap and hot wire the pump. A dealer or good moto shop can do that for a reasonable price. You could just remove the tank and take it too the shop which will save you some labor costs and you will already have it off checking the valves and compression anyway. Please let us know what you find.
I just looked in the Z1000/Z750 maintenance section and there is another thread about a Z1000 cutting out with some very good information. I would read that as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was cutting off after a 45 min ride in 90+ weather and we flipped the voltage regulator bracket to move it away from the fender I believe it was overheating the ecu and now it’s running fine in hot weather
I did that to my 06 z1000 and my bike still cuts out when it's hot out and only does it when it's cold out and riding it hard. I flipped it over and put a hi flow computer fan on it... Almost got hit by my buddies because it cut out on me and he was on my tail and that loss of power slowed it down fast.. need to find what this is. Did all the basics like kick stand switch,fuel pump ,evap tank vent, I hit the kill switch and it will run fine for a bit and does it again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts