RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the situation I have. I use the choke for cold starting, the bike gets warm, then didn't want to idle. I went to adjust the idle screw. However when I turn it, the hose connected to it turns as well, preventing the screw from actually turning. My thought is, there is something missing that should hold the screw or hose in place so it can be turned. Is there a spring sitting between the screw and the hose? I've been searching for a exploratory view of it. But have not found one. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I went to adjust the idle screw. However when I turn it, the hose connected to it turns as well, preventing the screw from actually turning.
My gut feeling is that you are turning the wrong thing.....or trying to.
I don't think any idle screw ever made has a hose attached to it.

And your reported problem indicates that you need a healthy dose of carb cleaner in the gas for a few rides.

How long have you had the bike ? Some need to get REALLY warm (HOT) before they will come down off the choke completely.
Has there been any changes made to the stock pipes or air filter ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And after looking closer it's not a hose, looks like heat sync. I'm sure, according to both the owners manual and the repair manual. That I have the right thing. Black knob with flat/Philips center. Left side coming from carb. Trying to post pics, so far unsuccessful. :/

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I use the choke for cold starting, the bike gets warm, then didn't want to idle.
Carb was just rejetted. Dave walker hole shot kit, and hole shot exhaust.
And after looking closer it's not a hose, looks like heat sync.
The screw that needs to turn is at the OTHER end of that cable with a plastic sleeve around it. The sleeve has no purpose other than keeping the cable clean and dry. It SHOULD turn when you turn the knob.

If someone else (a shop) did the re-jetting, take it back to them to get it properly adjusted.

If the idle adjustment is working, turning it clockwise should increase the idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. When I turn the black knob, it doesn't want to turn. Not clockwise nor counter clockwise. I'll take it to the speed shop tomorrow, see what they say. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Might be too late but some of those are made so that you have to push DOWN on the knob to engage the cable ......or maybe pull out.
If the knob spins freely, try pushing or pulling to engage the "notch".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so here is the situation I have. I use the choke for cold starting, the bike gets warm, then didn't want to idle. I went to adjust the idle screw. However when I turn it, the hose connected to it turns as well, preventing the screw from actually turning. My thought is, there is something missing that should hold the screw or hose in place so it can be turned. Is there a spring sitting between the screw and the hose? I've been searching for a exploratory view of it. But have not found one. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
I just bought a bandit myself and ran into the same problem you did. That little guy is the idle adjust. Follow the hose back to the middle of the carb setup and you can see what is twisting when you spend the knob. I twisted all the way right I went for a drive. About 5 miles in I realized it was way too high and started to back it out to the left during my ride until it got perfect

1 - 11 of 11 Posts