RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 2000 ZR-7 with Yoshimira exhaust and 5800 miles. Dealers is asking 4800. I want to offer him 4200 out the door. What is a reasonalbe offer? Are there any major flaws with the 2000. I am a new rider. Most of my limited experience is on a yamaha 250 dirtbike. But I love the feel of the ZR-7. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i got mine brand new for $5500 out the door in san diego (expensive place to live). i think your pricing is about right but that's just my opinion.

flaws:
the seat sucks - easy to fix, get a corbin ($300) or reshape it yourself.

the front fork is soft. do the pvc upgrade ($1) or get progressive springs ($80).

idle hesitation. just an annoyance really, not too hard to live with. various fixes from free for backing out the idle mixture screws to around $400 for a k&n filter, jet kit and slip on muffler.

you might also want to get a windscreen of some kind if you do a good deal of freeway riding.

details for all of these mods and accessories are here and on the home page http://www.zr-7.com

scott :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
It'll probably take a while to notice the slight problems (or maybe I'm just slow), but they are nothing to get in a tizzy over. To be absolutely honest, there's nothing really wrong with the bike, it's all what you want out of it. If you're expecting an explosive sportbike from hell, this ain't it. If you want an all around do all bike that's reliable, somewhat sporty and the pure essence of a "standard", you've come to the right bike. It will hold it's own in the twisties, great commuter, good on the freeway, a real good starter bike and a good bike for folks that just like to ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise so far. I am not looking to race. I enjoy riding. Between work and school, when the weekend comes around, i just like to ride and get away. It's been hard to get to far away on a dirt bike

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
Enjoy the ride! :cool:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi bluestreak,

Martin said it very well. The stock bike is very good.

Just a couple of things to consider.

The 2001 ZR-7S comes with a fairing and has better suspension in the front. Also seeing that the ZR-7 your looking at doesn't have a stock exhaust, it may have been dropped. Look at it real close.

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About checking to see if it was dropped. OUtside of making sure all the paint matches and frame is straight, is there anything I can check that might give away their little secret.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Take a close look under the bike. See if there is any evidence of a crash. You could always ask the dealer to ask the previous owner where the stock can is.

Another thing to ask would be for the bikes maintenance history. It might be due for a 6,000 mile service.

Andy

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,811 Posts
Martin and Andy's advice is sound, these guys know what their talking about. All I can add, is the bike has a good can with the Yoshimura on it. Tom :cool:

N

·
0 Posts
bluestreak said:
Looking at a 2000 ZR-7 with Yoshimira exhaust and 5800 miles. Dealers is asking 4800. I want to offer him 4200 out the door. What is a reasonalbe offer?
Considering that the dealer probably paid about $2500 to $3000 for that bike, I'd start at $3200. Unless he's heavily armed, it probably can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I havent been able to find many of theses bikes used to compare prices, so i need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
bluestreak, I have a 2000 ZR-7 in mint condition that I would sell for $3900, $300 less than your offer to the dealer. I live in Michigan, but I'm not afraid to make the drive, especially since there is business I'd like to take care of in Tennessee anyway.

My bike is in mint condition and has about 5700 miles on it. All stock, with a Targa windscreen. If you'd like more information, E-mail me at [email protected].

·
Registered
660 Posts
The dealer set the price at Blue Book. Real value is probably about 4K. Triple's is a good asking price. I'd imagine you can find similar prices locally.

You are going to be needing a 6000 service with includes valves and card sync. Many dealers view this as their chance to bend you over. If you get it from the dealer, make this a part of the deal. 4K OTD plus they do the service before it leaves the shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Triple - Thanks for the input. Berto has found a bike for me in Atlanta. He's checking it out for me. I like your offer though. I just want to follow up with Berto first.

Jet - Thanks for the info on the maintenance. I wasn't sure what kind of maintenace was needed.

This is the most useful board I have ever been apart of.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,741 Posts
Triple,

I was actually considering buying this '00 model bluestreak was talking about before I found my bike. Wasn't trying to make back door deals from under you! (think you were keeping the ZR that day?) He might need to finance and not like your loan rate - hey, it's not my business or anyone else's.

Bluestreak,

I was gonna stop by and take a second look later this afternoon to see if I can add to the info I gave ya. Uh... take a look out your window. Is there a guy on blue bike in your driveway? Michigan plate? you're on your own buddy!

Berto

·
5,741 Posts
Bluestreak,

Took a second look at that bike... 5800 miles, it's got the original front tire and is on a 2nd back tire. Back tire appears to have about 1500 miles on it - at a guess. It does have extras, D&D slip-on, pretty loud, and the Kawasaki backrest & luggage carrier that seem to only add to appearance, not real functional. From what I can tell, it's been dropped on the left side - the outermost part of the tailsection on that side is somewhat scratched, the end of the handlebar shows it also AND it definitely shows up on the bottom (rounded) case cover. It doesn't appear to be from a crash. The area around the chain shows a quite a bit of a sandy grit collection and the rear wheel sprocket shows wear on the top half of the teeth. Maybe not lubed/cleaned and or chain adjusted enough; I think that wear is more than normal. The dealer ran it for me last time and still sounded rough and some hesitation after 4-5 minutes. Told it needed new spark plugs (might read that valves/carb sync/plugs). It had a windscreen mounted to it at one time - the type you should mount on the handlebars, but had the mounts with homemade adapters (hose clamps) still in place mounted to the top of the forks?! It's had two owners and was purchased originally from the same dealer.

Doesn't look like it was thrashed otherwise, peg feelers untouched and tire wear on rear tire didn't come anywhere close to the edge of the tire tread. He wants $3800 for it.

Just want you to be informed in case you decide you really want to make that trip.

Psssst! I heard there is this guy in Michigan that will deliver! No freight, prep, doc fees. Look out in your driveway!

Berto

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey, bluestreak, I just sent you a prettty thorough E-mail. Let me know that you received it, when you get a chance.

This must be some bike, Berto, you sure you don't work for this dealership? :smilewink

·
5,741 Posts
Triple,

I thought I hacked up that bike pretty good in that description for Bluestreak - I didn't see alot of these things last week because I really didn't go there to look at that bike. You know, I would be second guessing myself now based on what I saw! Personally I think you're asking a reasonable price for your bike. From what I saw, I'd look at yours first.

No, I don't work for these guys, never been to their dealership until last week! It's really not even close to my house.

Seriously though, I might consider your bike as a second bike if I can get the 0 down, no payment til next year deal! At 8% interest.

Bluestreak, No, I don't get a cut on any of Triple's sales. And don't owe him any favors (that 5 years of bondage was hell, though).

Berto

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
bluestreak, i don't know either of these guys except from this forum and i've got nothing vested in the outcome. the bike at the dealer sounds like a bad idea. if it needed plugs and that was it the dealer would have intsalled them for $10 to have it run right. i'm guessing something more serious is wrong. worn chain and sprockets after only 5800 miles?!? it's been negelected if not abused. i've got 2000 more than that and mine look fine. same indications from the rear tire being replaced. sounds like the owner enjoyed a lot of straight line acceleration, amybe wheelies. it's very probably never had the valves done, maybe no oil changes either.

i think triple is a pretty straight up guy but i can understand being nervous about buying a bike sight unseen. here's my 2 cents: set it up with triple to have the bike taken to a local shop near him and looked over, you pay for this so that th shop is answering to you not him. this probably isn't really necessary but will give you peace of mind. have them check it over: chain, compression, steering bearings, fork bushings, the works. they can tell you if anything is wrong and what it would cost to fix. this usually costs about $75-100. since the bike isn't coming from the shop they've got no reason to lie to you, they don't care if it sells or not. it's a small price to pay to make sure the bike is ok. i'd suggest this with any bike not coming from a dealer.

scott :)

BTW, those home made windshield clamps might actually be from the oem kawasaki windshield. it's kind of a turd.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
bluestreak, Scott's idea isn't bad. If you wanted to pay for an inspection, I would see about setting up an appointment for you with a local dealer. However, that would probably delay the sale some time, and like I told you in my E-mail, the quicker this is over with, the better. The money I make from this will go straight into other vehicles.

I think I have a better idea, though. Buy my extended warranty, too. I purchased a 4-year extended warranty, that doesn't run up until 2005. No matter how many miles you ride, every part of the bike is covered by Kawasaki. With the warranty, it won't matter if something goes wrong with the bike or not-- Kawasaki will fix it. Personally, I think these bikes are pretty die-hard machines, and you won't have to worry about it. But if you buy the warranty, you can forego the inspection and ride worry-free anyway. It's up to you, of course.

I paid $440 for the warranty last March. I would sign it over to you for $225. With the warranty, your total purchase price would be $4125.

Let me know--

Eric
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts