RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my bike in for its first service and would like to know what should really be serviced on the bike. I purchased a leftover 2000 ZR-7 with 1 mile on it and now have 1000 in a month and am ready to take it in. Also should they do this service for free? Also what should be the oil that is put in be, possibly synthetic.

Thanks
Mark:)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
The service manual spells out just what should be done in the maintenance chart. The 600 mile service should include:

Carb sync
Idle speed check
Throttle play adjust
Valve clearance check
Air cleaner clean
Head bolt torque
Brake light switch check
Brake fluid level check
Clutch adjust
Steering check
Muffler, exhaust pipe nuts torque
Misc. nuts bolts check
Engine oil change
Oil filter replace

A dealer will charge about $240 dollars. The first service is not free.

Use regular oil for at least 7,500 miles. Some people like synthetic oils, others do not.

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st service & price

The manual describes the service program. I paid the equivalent of 100 US dollars for my 1st service at the same dealer who sold me the bike. The dealer chaged for 1.5 hours, oil and filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would ask the service guy / mechanic for a peak at his manual. The stuff in the owner's manual is not the same in the dealer service manual. You might be suprised what they are supposed to do and what they really do. Sometimes they do / charge you for work that isn't called for.

david

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm about to take mine in for my 3000 mile check. I spoke with the service manager today and asked him about checking the valve clearances. (I didn't have it done at 500 miles either.) He said that if it were his bike, he would wait until the 6000 mile interval to do this. According to him, these things hardly ever need valve adjusting until then, and when they do, the amount of adjustment is so small that it's hardly worth the effort. But he did say that he would be happy to take my $180 if I insisted on having them checked.

The rest of the stuff is rather routine and inexpensive anyway, and it's good to have it done in the warranty period. I think I'll wait for the valve clearance check/adjustment though. Comments?

Oh and here's another thing sort of off topic. He said that for carb work, they will not perform adjustments to carb settings (needles, shims, float levels, etc.). The only way they touch that stuff is if you buy a whole "dynojet" kit for $120. Then add $150 to install it.

kelly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts