RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Four friends and I are planning a 2076 miles trip to California from Wisconsin riding our bikes. We had all done 300-500 miles trip but had never gone beyond that so need some advices and tips on a few things. All five bikes recently underwent safety/maintenance inspection checks, oil change, etc this last weekend in anticipation of the trip in one week. What are some things we need to bring along in case of emergency out on the road? Some of the more basic things comes to mind and we have these prepared: First Aid Kit, GPS, cell phones, rain gears, and extra clothings. Do we need to worry about bringing along an extra motorcycle chain, brake and clutch lines, etc? Tools to perform the maintenance? I want our group to be sufficiently prepared for this trip.

Last but certainly not least of our concerns is that one of our rider is going on his 07 250R. We are slightly concern that his 250R may not be able to make the long haul. Anyone has experienced with the 250R on long trips? The bikes we're riding on the trip is 1 Suzuki 750, 2 650R, 1 Yamaha FZ6R, and the 07 250R. Any tips/advices for this trip is most welcome. Thank you.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Hi everyone,

Do we need to worry about bringing along an extra motorcycle chain, brake and clutch lines, etc? Tools to perform the maintenance?

Anyone has experienced with the 250R on long trips?
I wouldn't worry about chains, brake, clutchlines, etc...just make sure you thoroughly go over your motorcycles before the trip; especially if one of them is older or hasn't been maintained recently. Basic tools would be essential, allen keys, wrenchs, plyers, etc. As far as the 250 is concerned, it's not a slab motorcycle with its power tapering off around 70mph... so if your doing a lot of slab riding the 250 rider may feel a little inadequacy. Other than that, I don't see any problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The dude on the 250R will be fine. There are people who have ridden those bikes across the continent. Just keep it at 65-70mph on the slab.
Things not to forget on a long trip: Cell phone charger, earplugs, clear visor for night riding, small tire pressure gauge, eyeglasses (if you wear contact lenses - not being able to see can really screw up your trip) warm gloves, compact first aid kit, ibuprofen, spare bike keys.
It really helps to have some sort of intercom system (Scala rider) if you are carrying a passenger, or between the last and first rider in case someone gets stuck at a light and lost, if everyone has one, even better, makes a HUGE difference and adds to safety. I never take a whole bag of tools. Frankly, if a breakdown is that bad, your gonna need more tools than you can carry. If you join the AMA for $36 a year, you can get a tow/pickup just about anywhere in the USA.

Plan your trip, keep your group together, practice safe riding formation and have an absolute blast!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bring a can of chainlube
ups change of clothing to final destination.
When you get there ups dirty clothes back home or
wear your old crappy clothes and toss them out as you wear them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow! Thanks for the great read and I didn't know the little 250R can be such a nice ride. Safety is our biggest priority so we'll be riding speed limits only.

If you join the AMA for $36 a year, you can get a tow/pickup just about anywhere in the USA.

Plan your trip, keep your group together, practice safe riding formation and have an absolute blast!!!
Am a member of the AMA and I do have the Roadside Assistance. My group is really safety oriented and keeping each other safe is practically our rule. There is nothing worse for any of us than to lose a close friend due to stupidity we could've prevented. Thanks for the advice and we'll certainly keep it safe.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Its good to read that safety is your #1 priority.
Travelling in a group of bikers is a lot of fun. Take a camera along as well, and take a lot of pictures - also, I'm not sure if you wear earplugs, but on a long trip they really help to reduce fatigue.

good luck! I'm totally jealous.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Share emergency contact numbers with each other in case something happens and you have to contact their wife/parent/etc.

Plan your route and give a copy to someone. Check in periodically so they can track your progress. Where are you planning to cross the continental divide? It might get might cold this time of year and even snow.

Synthetic clothes, socks, etc can be rinsed out at night and will be dry by morning. That means less clothes to carry.

Do a practice ride with all your gear, like a one-nighter so you can make sure everything carries well on the bikes and you didn't forget something important, or find out that you really don't need something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure you have enough tread left on your tires to make the trip. If you aren't sure, put a new rear on just to be safe. Long miles on the highway eats sportbike tires. Like already mentioned, bring good raingear. It helps insulate from the cold wind first thing in the mornings as well as rain. Soft foam earplugs will keep you from having tinninitus at the end of every day, but begin to make the insides of your ears sore after a week or so of wearing them. Don't pack too much; two pairs of socks and underwear, along with a few layering options, and a pair of shoes to walk around in (off the bike when your riding boots are soaked) is plenty.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you planning to cross the continental divide? It might get might cold this time of year and even snow.
The route we had chosen is to go down into Illinois, across Interstate 80 into Iowa, Nebraska, then Wyoming to Utah, followed by Nevada into California. Hopefully we don't run into snow this time of the year.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Legal speed limits with the occassional 30-40s bursts should be more than enough for us on the trip. No need to open the throttle to max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts