RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is in the right place for this thread but...

I looked at a '91 VFR 750 today and might buy it. I just thought I'd see what everyone on here thought. It has some cosmetic flaws which I'm not extremely concerned about since it'll be my first bike. (I've done some field riding on dirtbikes but no street experience) A friend of mine rode it and said everything felt good on it.

The guy who has it now said he has has it for about 3 months and got it from a freind who had it for about a year. It has been through at least 3 owners and one of them had raced it or taken it to a track according to what he told me. The muffler has been cut of a little after what appears to be the cat. He is asking $1700 for it and it books for about $2700. It is showing almost 17k on the odometer.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Buyer beware on these old bikes with multiple owners. The first thing I'd do is take it down the road (or have your friend do it) and let go of the handlebars. That'll check the alignment. Second, I'd get it wound up and let off the throttle, let it wind down through the rpm, see if there is any exhaust problems or leaks. Then I'd probably coast and pop the throttle open just to see if there is any hesitation. But for $1700, you could let a lot slide just to fix later. If you can, post pics.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Those engines are really bulletproof. IIRC, its also got the gear driven cams, which sounds really cool. Later, sometime late 90s or early 00s they went to chain drive.
Anyway, mechanically, they are really hard to tear up, and with that kind of mileage, you should be good...

I learned to ride on that things predecessor...a 1987 VFR700.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buyer beware on these old bikes with multiple owners. The first thing I'd do is take it down the road (or have your friend do it) and let go of the handlebars. That'll check the alignment. Second, I'd get it wound up and let off the throttle, let it wind down through the rpm, see if there is any exhaust problems or leaks. Then I'd probably coast and pop the throttle open just to see if there is any hesitation. But for $1700, you could let a lot slide just to fix later. If you can, post pics.
Here is the link from craigslist.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/746085117.html

My friend rode it today. I don't know if he let go of the bars when he rode it. He said there wasn't any smoke or backfiring. He took it up to about 80 and he said he didn't notice anything odd. For the most part as long as I can get something I'm not gonna have to work on right away and be able to finish out the riding season on, I'll be ok.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Those engines are really bulletproof. IIRC, its also got the gear driven cams, which sounds really cool. Later, sometime late 90s or early 00s they went to chain drive.
Anyway, mechanically, they are really hard to tear up, and with that kind of mileage, you should be good...
+1. VFRs will run forever. For more info, surf over to www.vfrdiscussion.com. Tons of great info on all generations of VFRs there, including early '90s bikes.

If it's in decent-to-good condition, $1700 is a pretty fair price IMO. Keep in mind you'll need tires right away, so figure $2k with the cost of buying and installing new tires.

This is not the best first streetbike, but if you have dirt experience and a good head on your shoulders you could be OK. Please keep in mind, however, that even a 17-year old 750cc bike can get you in serious trouble (i.e. danger) very quickly. This bike is no slouch - it will move!

BTW, VFRs went to chain-driven cams with the 6th generation bike, which has been made from '02 to present.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts