RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always ignored what i call "Cookie Cutter" Gixxers but i recently had an opportunity to snag a 89 1100 and it looked so 80's-riffic (yeah, i just made that up) that i am actually considering it. Does anyone here know anything about these bikes? I know that the first years were off the chain but i also found out that in 89' they strengthened and tightened some things on the 1100.

I guess what i am asking is "if i can get this bike for 1000.00 or less, should I?"
she runs and seems mostly stock.

any help or advice is appreciated. this doesn't change anything, My Z is still my favorite beast!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can get it for less than a grand, I would snap it up. If it is in good shape though it is probably going for about 3k. These were just about the meanest thing on the streets back in the late eighties. I rode one back in high school in 1991, loved it wish I still had it. Alot has changed in twenty plus years though. No matter how much suspension work you do it probably won't ever feel as tight as you Z. Horsepower wise it should be between 110-130 hp. Plenty of power little more torquey than the Z. The 89's did have some dubious suspension issues, at least that was the rumor. I never had any problems. My Z had some suspension issues also, but I cure them by setting up the suspension for my weight. Same could be done for the old Gixxer. Fun bikes with that retro cool factor. If you can get it on the cheap it would be fun to mess with. I would think twice if he's asking more than 2k. I have seen the prices on these all over the spectrum. The highest being close to 6k. I'm looking for an old sportbike myself, I'm trying to convince my old lady I need a third bike. I may be fighting a losing battle but I like the old Honda's. Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.allpromotorsportsllc.com...4988X11K13K2010J6I54I24JPMQ3632R0&veh=1750903
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can get it for less than a grand, I would snap it up. If it is in good shape though it is probably going for about 3k. These were just about the meanest thing on the streets back in the late eighties. I rode one back in high school in 1991, loved it wish I still had it. Alot has changed in twenty plus years though. No matter how much suspension work you do it probably won't ever feel as tight as you Z. Horsepower wise it should be between 110-130 hp. Plenty of power little more torquey than the Z. The 89's did have some dubious suspension issues, at least that was the rumor. I never had any problems. My Z had some suspension issues also, but I cure them by setting up the suspension for my weight. Same could be done for the old Gixxer. Fun bikes with that retro cool factor. If you can get it on the cheap it would be fun to mess with. I would think twice if he's asking more than 2k. I have seen the prices on these all over the spectrum. The highest being close to 6k. I'm looking for an old sportbike myself, I'm trying to convince my old lady I need a third bike. I may be fighting a losing battle but I like the old Honda's. Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.allpromotorsportsllc.com...4988X11K13K2010J6I54I24JPMQ3632R0&veh=1750903
Good luck to you.
you mentioned that they are strong bikes, would you think that my wife could not handle the bike or is it forgiving provided your easy on the throttle? I know it's an 1100 but it's also two decades old so i thought with different cam in the throttle i could make it a little more manageable and probably will also change the gearing to make it less torqy. what do you think? If it's just to much for a novice rider you can be honest, i can take it. I dont think she will let me buy the bike just so i can have a second bike but if i tell her its for her i might be able to sway it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If she has never ridden, then it is way too much bike. Remember they use to race these bikes at the Isle of Man TT. Then banned them for a couple of years due to safety issues. If she is small then it will probably be too heavy. These are tall bikes and a bit on the portly side by todays standard. The throttle cam honestly might not be worth the trouble. These bikes had carbs and at times can be abrupt in their power delivery. Taller gearing might make it easier to handle but they already almost hit the c-note in first gear. Shorter gearing will just make it accelerate faster. If I remember correctly it would hit 60 around the three second mark. Your money might be better spent on a different bike, if you are seriously looking for a bike for the wife. Look for one that won't wheelie at the drop of a hat.

You mentioned it was twenty years old and might be manageble with a steady hand. Think of a 454ss chevelle, four decades old but still a powerhouse. It can be handled but will bite hard when poked with a stick.:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she has never ridden, then it is way too much bike. Remember they use to race these bikes at the Isle of Man TT. Then banned them for a couple of years due to safety issues. If she is small then it will probably be too heavy. These are tall bikes and a bit on the portly side by todays standard. The throttle cam honestly might not be worth the trouble. These bikes had carbs and at times can be abrupt in their power delivery. Taller gearing might make it easier to handle but they already almost hit the c-note in first gear. Shorter gearing will just make it accelerate faster. If I remember correctly it would hit 60 around the three second mark. Your money might be better spent on a different bike, if you are seriously looking for a bike for the wife. Look for one that won't wheelie at the drop of a hat.

You mentioned it was twenty years old and might be manageble with a steady hand. Think of a 454ss chevelle, four decades old but still a powerhouse. It can be handled but will bite hard when poked with a stick.:)
Greatest reply ever, love the analogies. I actually went and saw the bike. Unfortunately it is the K model which had the worst handling and stiffer frame. don't know what i was thinking. The damn thing has over 130 horses. she has ridden, but nothing like that. once i shook it around and got a feel for the weight i was intimidated so i can't imagine her on it. smack of reality right to the face!!:2far:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts