RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Discovered this forum over the weekend when searching for help with my 550.
My bike sits alot. . .maybe 100 miles driven the last 5 years. Original owner. 10k miles. Haven'tever had acceleration problems till this weekend. Just charged battery and went out for a ride. Bike starts and idles fine. Under load she boggs down something terrible. Thought it might be bad gas. Drained tank and put in E091. Still not right. Changed spark plugs. Checked vacuum lines. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Any ideas? Thanks!
A double dose of a good carb cleaner would be next on my list.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout.
Then run it a couple of times over a couple of days.
Also check the air input and exhaust for blockage (critter nest).

If you aren't going to ride more than 20 miles a year, you would be doing the bike a favor to sell it to someone that will ride.

And if you are going to keep it, you need stabilizer in the gas........and if the tires are original, they are DANGEROUS by now. Past dangerous.

How old is the battery? It might not be holding a charge.
A load test would be a good idea.
When was the last oil change ??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Like Easy Rider said gas formulas nowadays aren't good. You most likely need to clean the carbs (remove disassemble and clean) . Then once the bike is running good use fuel stabilizer , Startron or Stabil marine are two good ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A double dose of a good carb cleaner would be next on my list.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout.
Then run it a couple of times over a couple of days.
Also check the air input and exhaust for blockage (critter nest).

If you aren't going to ride more than 20 miles a year, you would be doing the bike a favor to sell it to someone that will ride.

And if you are going to keep it, you need stabilizer in the gas........and if the tires are original, they are DANGEROUS by now. Past dangerous.

How old is the battery? It might not be holding a charge.
A load test would be a good idea.
When was the last oil change ??
Thanks Easy Rider and schmoo for the ideas.

Been using stabilizer for years.
Tires 4 years old, new sprockets and chain then too.
Battery 2 years old. Oil and filter last year.

Gonna change the air filters, have a big old K&N on the left side that has grown in size!
Then the stock triangular thin foam one on the right side.

Will keep you posted over the coming weeks, thanks again.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Gonna change the air filters, have a big old K&N on the left side that has grown in size!
Then the stock triangular thin foam one on the right side.
Just putting on a "high flow" filter like a K&N will make it run leaner; often enough leaner to make
the performance worse.

I suggest a stock filter....unless maybe the carbs have been re-jetted.....and a good dose of carb cleaner.

And finally, if you didn't have the battery on a tender, it could be bad now too.......but that likely would show up as hard to start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I put in a full bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner Wednesday and a stock air cleaner today. Seems to be getting better. Going to find some Gumout or Berryman and add that when I top the tank off in a few days. Going to start riding everytime I get a chance the next few weeks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out this morning for an hour. Decided to mess with the choke lever while crusing. If I pull it all the way out while at 3k or higher acceleration is no issue. Runs like new! Fast! So this must be a air/fuel issue thankfully. Any other ideas? Thanks again for the help so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last three weeks she's back to normal. No more accelerating issues!!!!!!! I've been using E091 gas and adding 4 oz. of Blendzall. Nice. . .

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I've been using E091 gas and adding 4 oz. of Blendzall. Nice. . .
All that probably is an unnecessary extra expense going forward.
What is Blendzall ??

If there was some gunk in the carbs or tank, it likely is gone now.
Might want to go back to just regular gas and see how it does.

A dose of carb cleaner is a good idea every couple of months but you should NOT have to use it all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
www.blendzall.com
Blendzall is a fuel additive that has racing castor in it, smells excellent when burning.
I use to use Klotz Gold Formula thirty years ago but it's not made anymore.
With winter approaching I'll probably finish off this tank and store with regular and some Stabil
and I'll be sure to start her up every few weeks to prevent this issue from happening again.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I'll be sure to start her up every few weeks to prevent this issue from happening again.
Actually that is a bad idea.......for several reasons. If you can't actually ride it, you should just leave it alone.

If you don't get it up to temperature, condensation will form in the pipes and crankcase.
If you DO let it idle long enough to get hot, the plugs might foul up.
Then.....it takes several weeks for the fuel to evaporate from the carbs; then you start it and there is a new batch in the bowls.
Then THAT evaporates. It is possible to accumulate more junk that way than just leaving it sit.

Making sure the carbs are clean going in is probably your best insurance........along with the fresh fuel and stabil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually that is a bad idea.......for several reasons. If you can't actually ride it, you should just leave it alone.

If you don't get it up to temperature, condensation will form in the pipes and crankcase.
If you DO let it idle long enough to get hot, the plugs might foul up.
Then.....it takes several weeks for the fuel to evaporate from the carbs; then you start it and there is a new batch in the bowls.
Then THAT evaporates. It is possible to accumulate more junk that way than just leaving it sit.

Making sure the carbs are clean going in is probably your best insurance........along with the fresh fuel and stabil.
Well now that you mention that stuff I'll be sure if I start it I'll ride. Thirty plus years and this was the first time with problems.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fired her up this past weekend. . .started right up!!! Rode about 20 minutes. Accelerated just fine!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been riding alot the past 5 months. Still running strong! Really feel the power kicking in at 5K rpm.
Here's a link showing some pics and specs from a 1982 Cycle Magazine.
Kawasaki Z550 GP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well several years later I've stumbled upon another issue. After turning on key and pressing start I hear a click once under the seat and the lights go out, no engine movement. Solenoid maybe? voltage regulator?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts