RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on the other site and a few looks with no replies yet. I'll ask on here.

Question I have for many of you is this.

12 volt AGM battery vs. 16 volt AGM Battery , Has anyone done this? Surely all of the electronics can handle the 16 volts.

We done this in our T/S Beretta racecar and it made a difference in the performance level of all of the electrical components, ie.. fans ,water pump, fuel pump. It has not hurt any of the lighted components. Yes, I checked with all of my manufacturers for their voltage compatibility before I placed one of them in. Now we have two of them in there. It sure spins over fine.

The V battery place in Nebraska is where we have benn buying the 16 volt AGM batteries.

Just thought I would ask ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ohm's Law formula for Voltage...

V=IR

The Voltage(V) is equal to the Current(I) times the Resistance(R).

The Voltage is directly proportional to the Current. If you increase the Voltage then you increase the Current. As long as this doesn't exceed the current limits in the electronics there should not be a problem.
Personally I would not change to a 16 Volt battery.:nerd::2cents:

·
Registered
694 Posts
There is a little problem with your formula. As an electrician I can say without a doubt if voltage goes up current goes down as long as resistance does not change.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As an electrician I can say without a doubt if voltage goes up current goes down as long as resistance does not change.
I'd agree with that. A more useful equation is the relationship between power, voltage and current: P = V * I. Since the power requirement (Watts) will remain the same, then an increase in voltage means a lower current is drawn (which is a good thing because it's less likely to heat up your wiring).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I had posted this I realized this was not such a great idea after all. We do not use an alternator in our race car , just 2 -16 volt AGM batteries. The 16 volt batteries have to be charged with 1. special charger and if in an automobile or likewise a 16 volt alternator and that price would be out of the question as an additional expense for what may be very little gain in a motorcycle scenario. So , I apologize for not considering the alternator in my initial thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts