RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought 09/10 6R complete frontend.. actually I was thinking to buy forks off from 08ZX6 which is direct fit to z1000 triples but found very good deal on ebay (including everything, calipers, triples,clipons,steering damper.. everything included )

anyway.. right now I'm thinking to use this setup with zx6 triples(with clipons ofcourse) but dont have any idea it will fit or not .. I'll try this first .. if it's not suitable I'll go with z1000 triples (need to modify z1k triples a little)

I'll write all of my experiences with pictures later.. I dont know if anyone tried this before so any help will be appreciated :))

btw, thanks for your help dynagrego :))

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
What year Z1000 are you trying to put these forks on?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the complete frontend yesterday, except steering stopper and steering lock, it's almost bolt-on. stem lenght, nuts same. actually stem of zx6 is 1cm longer than z1K but because of the thickness of zx6 triples, its OK.

z1K fender is not suitable, so I need a new one for zx6.

steering stopper is not so big problem, normally the 03-06 z1k stopper is located on the front, zx6 back.

ignition switch of z1K is directly fits in to zx6 upper triple. I can live wo steering lock but with a small welding operation it'll be ok.

wheel&axle. zx6 spacers are narrow than z1k spacers, I used z1K spacers with zx6 axle, but it's also not enough.. it needs a little bit wider spacer.. no problem.

electronics/cabling: the connector which is connected to the clutch side is completely same except two pin, it's using for LAP button I think. I can even use this part also.
for the throttle side, brake switch located on different locations,but no problem.

speedo bracket: since I'm not using stock front fairing, my speedo cluster was located on my handlebar with bracket.

but now I'll go with clipons. cuz of this, upper triple of zx6 is not suitable .. there are two little hole on triple, I'll use this holes to put a new bracket.. not so big problem..

riding position: dont have any idea, but I'm going to change the rearsets with gilles.

steering damper: frontend came with ohlins damper, I'll make a bracket like hyperpro

I'll update the thread when I finish the other things ..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looking good...., I wish that I didn't live on the second floor so I could bring my bike inside this winter to work on!

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's the cats meow!!! I was wondering if the BPF diameter (43mm, IIRC) is the same as my 05 Z1K, from what I've read online, and reviews, the new BPF is supposed to offer incredible performance.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That's the cats meow!!! I was wondering if the BPF diameter (43mm, IIRC) is the same as my 05 Z1K, from what I've read online, and reviews, the new BPF is supposed to offer incredible performance.
Yea I am excited to see the final product and get a performance review

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i bought some parts(bolts, nuts etc) , still waiting for them, then I'll update the topic with pictures.

steering damper update: I'll try to use ohlins (it looks easy to install ohlins thn hyperpro, but hyperpro rsc is better than zx6 ohlins)

reversed ohlins stock bracket + 2 long bolts(approx 2x longer-maybe little bit more- than hyperpro bracket bolts) with hyperpro bottom bracket, it should be OK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
installed the fork completely including 320mm discs (zx7R discs) with spacers.
rear shock update :I was checking hardracing.com for ohlins shock, thn I found that gen1 z1K and 96-98 gsxr750 using same model of shock (46PRCLS), surprisingly I found hyperpro shock off from 98 gsxr750 on ebay ..
anyway, I bought it. lenght of this shock is almost same with the stock one, upper side is completely direct bolt on. bottom side was not OK, because of unitrak arm. with a small operation I fixed it (1+1mm from both sides and 1mm total from bearing covers).

here are the latest pics.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Project looks like its coming right along, keep up the good work!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts