RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the head last night on my '07 650R and noticed a thin even grey layer of gummy (not hardened) sealant below the head gasket. I'm almost certain some kind of sealant was applied by Kawasaki at the factory. Neither the Haynes or Kawasaki service manuals mention sealant when changing out the gasket. Anyone have a definitive answer as to whether a sealant is necessary? The picture below is after sealant residue was removed.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Engineering

· Registered
8,812 Posts
Unless you have specific experience on sealing head gaskets, you do exactly what the Kawasaki manual says.

Often times I have spots where I use sealer and other spots that I clean with denatured alcohol and would never allow sealer within 1/2" of that location. If it doesn't specify some sealer, move along.

Throw the Haynes manual in the trash. These manuals are full of errors and mistakes. They are more for entertainment than use....especially when we know hmethibgow to find @ semi-legal copies of the real Kawasaki service manual. I don't know how legal they are. No one's ever arrested me for having them.

I know of Haynes manual where the manual was wrong about about the bikes carb. It wasn't a small mistake.

It had the owner looking for a Mikuni carb and wondering who swapped a Keihin carb on his brand new bike.

Reactions: motocopter

· 見る
3,025 Posts
Unless you are the original owner of the bike, you don't know if it has been stripped down previously. I've worked on a lot of bikes over the years and don't ever recall using a sealant on a head gasket, rocker cover gasket - yes. Head gasket....nope.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Upon close inspection of the new Kawasaki head gasket it appears to be factory coated with a soft grey substance. I believe that is what adhered to the metal on the old gasket and that likely no sealant was applied at the factory.

· Registered
8,812 Posts
That's why I love oem gaskets. They are lubricated for when the parts guy gives it to you in the......

No, seriously, they do that. Even the clutch gaskets will have sealer built in, if needed

Reactions: motocopter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts