RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

So this is my first time on this forum but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am so sick of the fairing on my ninja, even though it looks great, I am tired of taking it off to do maintenence. I had to remove for various things and Ive seen pics and others making their 650r to a streetfighter or naked bike and I was wondering what would I need to do that? What my research has concluded so far is I need a new headlight and mirrors and turn signals. I was looking at a Honda Sonic headlight or a Z1000 headlight or a er6n healight. That is the trouble I'm having to find a great looking headlight without major $$ or pain to install. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Getting + fabbing up the headlight mount is the hardest part.

I would skip the $80 Ebay headlights unless you will do a projector retro. Their lighting is awful.

There are so many ways to go, it's really hard to choose one route. The easiest way IMO would be to keep the stock headlight/gauges/bracket, but get the bracket cut shorter + rewelded to put the light closer to the frame. It won't be super pretty, but then you can fab up a fiberglass shroud or something and be done with it, rather than spend more $$$$$$ trying to get **** figured out

I have a GSXR headlight mounted to my forks, and it works OK, but took a bit of $$$$$ and time. I am looking to work with a fabricator buddy of mine to put together a fully custom headlight w/TRS bixenon projectors and a fiberglass shroud. It's gonna look like a Kawi Street Triple

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like your bike would look good with that set up. I have also seen lights from a site like aztec8 or something, do you know if they are worth it? Also does a z1000 headlight mount good to a 650r 06? And how much does that light usually cost? But thanks again for the tips. I love the way the bike looks already but the streetfighter look is sick!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye out for your retro sporty, I have a pair of MH1's from TRS on my bandit and I hate the housing that I have them in. I'd be interested to see how it's done right. :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I actually started with the Aztec8 kit, and was really disappointed. $300, and the light would not stay level, AND had terrible output. I also didn't like that it made my bike look old.

Z1000 headlight might work, but the shroud is expensive and the fork spacing might not be the same. Also the headlight on the 650 (and 08+ 250) are the same part # as the 03-07 Z1000 so you just need everything but the light.

Thogert it will probably be a while. Parts are gonna come in in a trickle. I will start by throwing an HID kit into the GSX-R headlight. If that output is good I might just stick with this.

·
Banned
284 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I believe I have seen people doing the 636 fork conversions on the 650R, and you can do that to the Z1000 as well, so the measurements are probably close.

I believe the older 650R actually use the same headlight as the Z1000. I know the newer 250R does.

If you want the complete Z1000 front end, you'd have to swap in a Z1000 triple to mount the front headlight frame to it. That's probably going a little further than you want to go.

I modded my Z1000 headlight with 2 BMW Bi-Xenon HID projectors, and it's NIGHT and DAY in light output difference. I ride a lot at night, so I went with that mod. It cost about 500 total for the BI-Xenon HID set up with bulb and ballast. A spare Z1000 headlight would probably go around a hundred. The cowling and all that would cost some too...

Best bet, if you like the look of the Z1000, is to swap the 650R in and grab a Z... a little extra power as a benefit to, and no modding required :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts