RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bleeded the brakes fully, there's was some dirty brake fluid in there, but now it still feels very spongy, a friend of mine said there could be air in the master cylinder, dont know how to get it out.
I have it sitting right now with 2 ty-raps around the handle and im leaving it overnight. Also when the brakes engage it bites good but there is just to much of a dead zone, it has to be on mode 1 near the handle because all the other ones are far to close
IMG-20190720-WA0014.jpeg

On thing that struck my eyes is that it does this when you press the lever
In the link is a video

https://afrojacked.stackstorage.com/s/RiIP4nomf5f03y1

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, in order for that method of leaving the brake lever pulled in overnight to work you must: 1) use bungee cords so there is constant pressure that can take up any slack that may occur (zip ties do not tighten by themselves); 2) You must remove the master cylinder reservoir cover to allow air bubbles to come out from it.

To bleed properly, connect a hose to brake caliper drain hose and lead it onto a container, then quickly pump the brake lever about 7x or so, on the 7th pump, hold it closed as you loosen the brake caliper drain bolt. Brake fluid will flow out of the drain bolt as the lever goes to the handlebar, hold the lever, tighten the drain bolt, then release the lever. Repeat this until you feel the brake lever get firm. You do this for each of the front calipers (separately not at the same time). You may need another person to help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to throw it out there. I always thought my 03 z1 brakes felt mushy. Bled and bled. Nothing improved. I read that it’s just a known soft brake. A popular upgrade is to get a gsxr master cylinder. Has a larger cylinder thus feels firmer. I got a used one in good condition off eBay for like $40. It’s bolt on, our levers and thread on the brake line nuts are all compatible. All you’ll need to do is rig a master cylinder reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts