RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pump my clutch lever up to 5x 3 different times before the engine will start. After riding and shutting it down , I still need to pump the lever if I let the bike sit for say 30 minutes. Is this the master cylinder needing to be rebuilt ? There is no loss of fluid

·
West Coast Moderator
13,090 Posts
Is the level up to the full mark (or between the lines)?

How does it shift? I didn't know it had a safety switch on the clutch (?).

·
West Coast Moderator
13,090 Posts

Read through that thread and see if anything is applicable to your situation.

·
Administrator
2,643 Posts
I need to pump my clutch lever up to 5x 3 different times before the engine will start. After riding and shutting it down , I still need to pump the lever if I let the bike sit for say 30 minutes. Is this the master cylinder needing to be rebuilt ? There is no loss of fluid
The clutch master cylinder has a switch on it so that when you pull the lever the switch engages and allows you to start the motor. Check to see that the little plunger is not sticking/binding. Maybe try a squirt of WD-40/RP-7 to loosen it up and lubricate it.

·
American Legion Rider
35 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with hydraulic clutches but I assume they function similar to brakes. So is it possible, even though you state the correct amount of fluid is there, that there might be an air bubble in the system? Like is it possible you added fluid when it was really really low and therefore some air might have entered the system as one source? Bleeding might resolve the issue then. Just throwing that out as a possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so I gave the switch on the master cylinder a spray of Wd-40 and I put dielectric grease on the electrical connection on the master cylinder.
One of those seemed to fix the issue. I’m guessing the switch was dry and sticking.
i don’t get why it would make the engine turn over like it had a dead battery until I pumped the clutch

·
West Coast Moderator
13,090 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't making a good enough connection. Maybe not fully engaged.or some corrosion in the contacts. I sometimes work with electricity at work and we get both of those occasionally in panels or outlets.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts