RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to tinker and so Ive already done a z1000sx fork swap on my bike. I was inspired by previous forum members like @1179 and others, I like the look of the thicker gold forks on these bikes. The performance will also be increased as the zx forks are compression, rebound and preload adjustable on both legs.
The opportunity (and cash) came up and a set of zx10r forks are now on their way to me.
This thread is to document how easy it is to do. I wished i started tinkering with this thing earlier and hope that it inspires others to try working on bikes and share the experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The forks i bought have an axle but dont have spacers... These are rare as they were only on first gen zx10s and not shared with any other model.
Part number is 92152-0210
According to two Dave’s racing “The spacers are 12.5mm wide, with an internal spindle diameter of 20mm and an external diameter of 30mm”

....though kawasaki lists them as L=13mm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seals changed out but struggling to find time to work on the bike. Found a forum post on kawiforums from user 6maniac who used some old z1000 lower triple bracket to anchor the abs sensor off the lower mudguard mount. Not elegant, it sticks out a bit but it’ll do the job if I can’t figure anything else out

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see that you’ve extended the pinch bolt and then added a bracket on that and thats neater than the others ive seen.... Thanks for posting @1179 !
I dont know about others but I really like what you’ve done. You’d be one of very few people who have retro fitted ABS to their bike. It deserves its own thread and if your not up to it id be happy for you to put up any photos you have here or in my other threads. Its given me food for thought and helped me decide on going with zx10r forks :) My budget isnt happy but i am !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another work I have done is modified the regulator/rectifier.:alien:
As you know I live in Hong Kong, the weather is hot and humid, when dust and dirt accumulated in the corner of the R/R, under humid environment with earth leakage, it leads to damage the electronics.
I start riding this bike in fall 2015, I have replaced 3 sets of R/R in 2 years, the Kawasaki technical guy remains no recommendation for this issue, so I do it in my way.
I modified that since mid of 2017, no more R/R burnt and no complaint:LOL:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve not had this problem myself and I live in Australia but I’ve seen many threads here with people that have had issues.
Seems you’ve added a fuse and something else in the circuit as well??

·
Registered
18 Posts
you ground the spacer or the wheel ?
interesting that many people pay big money to have a wider wheel when it seems so easy!
There has some preparation before swap the 6R wheel:
  • Trim couple of mm on brake disc side, the depth of cut should align with the rear brake caliper. I'm unable to provide my measurement because I had modified the rear disc with ABS ring before
  • 2 pcs of NSK 6304 bearing or equivalent model because 6R rear shaft is bigger
  • Trim down the spacer on brake side to overall 12.75mm (measure by yourselves), the depth of cut may vary depending on the clearance between swingarm, caliper and the wheel spacer
  • select 180-190/55 17 rear tyre and enjoy!
IMG_20180213_122238.jpg IMG_20180210_183929.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, for information - The 08-10 top and bottom yokes are unique and fit the 650 bolt on. The z1000 top and bottom yokes are similar in that they bolt up to the frame ok but have a different offset and cant be used with 10r forks because the bottom clamp diameter on the forks is 54mm. Looking for a 2008-2010 zx10r top clamp now. You could probably use zx10 tops from other years but they use a nut on top rather than the allen head bolt the 08 top uses and so will need machining of the bolt hole to fit. Not hard just not bolt on as i need them to be

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Fitted it all up. The top triple arrives soon but couldnt resist putting it all together for a photo
few issues for consideration. The 04/05 forks don’t have the little recesses for the calipers and so I’ll have to machine my spacers down. This is only required if you’re using bigger than standard discs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts