RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 kawasaki ZR-7 h3 I bought a few months ago bike is fairly decent payed way too much but I liked it. I got to ride on 6 of so different occasions before it dies coming up a hill to a stop light. I was on the throttle pretty hard was a nice long hilly windy road with 55 mph speed limit. It died, to me like felt like maybe fuel flooding out the motor. It started back up at light but had to keep revving at 2500 or so made it the half block home. Started and wasn't running right it bogged when trying to give fuel. So I pull the carbs on 4 occasions due to reinstall I'd crank when it would fire it would idle consistent for a few sec then rpm would go to the moon. So I'd kill and remove carbs from intake slide out to side and readjust an go through them thorough. My question is can I swap to a 05 zr-7 throttle body I ordered them and also full engine wiring harness for 05 zr-7. One main of the issues is no spark on left coil 1&4. I ordered new pair of coils at same time. Will I have many issues installing throttle body and harness? Thanks for any help. Sorry for dragging out my question just needed to explain my issue and what I ordered to replace. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Stuff from an 05 zr7 or zr7s will fit an 03 fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....but what is the 'throttle body' of the 05????.........I'd like to know
Screenshot_20210605-040537.png
this is everything I ordered but I goofed and didn't realize the throttle body set I ordered didn't have any injectors in it found a few complete with hoses fuel rails injectors vacuum lines etc for around $100 will most likely end up ordering another throttle body but this time complete setup ready to slap on

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
OK, so don't order any more stuff yet!!

They did make an 05 zr7/zr7s sold in at least Canada that was the same as the earlier years. 05 was the last year. All were carbureted & air cooled. All stuff is cross compatible with the earlier models.

They also made a z750s that was fuel injected from 2005 onward. This one is fuel injected, liquid cooled. Looks different because it is different. Different bikes and not compatible.

If the seller puts zr7 or zr7s in the listing and 05,06 that's because they don't know the diff or are trying shady selling tactics.

The zr7/zr7s are not the same at all as a z750 (which is really more like a baby z1000)

Long story short the wiring harness may or may not be correct. Hard to tell by the photo here. The listing says both models of bike in it, which it can't be. If it's from a zr7/zr7s you're good. If it's a z750, sorry nope.

The 2nd photo is fuel injection stuff. Not going to work. Not even if you bought injectors and a computer and a proper wiring harness and the sensors and all the extra parts and some extra one's you likely have to fabricate to make it all fit up if it would fit at all.

As for the coils, I can't say. They appear to be aftermarket and I'm not sure what the specs are other than what they say. They may or may not be fine.

I took by the original post when you said it was 05 zr7 stuff going in your 03 zr7. That would work. If you had said z750 I'd have said no, not just a simple swap. I guess the throttle bodies should have been a flag for me to ask more questions. Sorry if I led you astray.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
.....but what is the 'throttle body' of the 05????.........I'd like to know
In FI engines the throttle body controls the air intake for the FI system, pretty much like butterfly valve on a carb.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank for the 'lesson' but you are missing the point, ......no offense.

.........was simply trying to point out there is not such thing as a 'throttle body' on a ZR-7 no matter what the year........... and prevent Chris from wasting his money.........used sarcasm to achieve it. ................... Obo did the rest rather beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Thank for the 'lesson' but you are missing the point, ......no offense.

.........was simply trying to point out there is not such thing as a 'throttle body' on a ZR-7 no matter what the year........... and prevent Chris from wasting his money.........used sarcasm to achieve it. ................... Obo did the rest rather beautifully.
Yeah - I got your point, but you did ask "but what is the 'throttle body' of the 05????" without specifying a model - and as Obo pointed out - there was a 2005 FI model. You're welcome to the lesson.

·
Registered
187 Posts
FI bikes have a fuel pump in the tank, also.
The designations for the zr7S bike and z750 bike can be confusing if for the zr7S you use the Kawasaki ZR750 model name which is on the title.

For example...
My ZRX1200 has model name ZR1200
My ZZR1200 had model name ZX1200
It should have been the other way around in my opinion. It used to confuse my poor insurance agent who's English was her second language. She was constantly mixing up the insurance on them when I had them both on the road. I didn't mind though, she was easy on the eye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts