RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. Need some help with fitting the carbs back into the intake manifolds. Currently the carbs sit too low due to the air box pushing them down or the slightly longer fuel line I just put in to replace my broken one.
I can’t get it to stay in the manifold long enough to maintain a seal. It either pops out on the left or right, or rotated backwards, causing a nasty lean condition.
I’ve loosened up my throttle cable thinking that might be the cause but no luck. I’ve tried everything I can think of for about 6 hours, and I’m just about out of steam.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Did you have the intake boots off (from the carbs to the head) or just the carbs, boots from carbs to airbox, and the airbox?

The intake boots that attach to the head should be numbered from left to right, 1, 2, 3,4

It should line up, albeit a PITA and knuckle scraper to get them back on.

I usually put the carbs onto the intake boots first, then reach down thru the airbox and attached the boots from the airbox to the carbs.

The boots are different sizes for the 2 inner and 2 outer as I recall. If they are stiff you can always soak them in some hot water to loosen them, but i never needed to do that. The have an angle to them to reach the outward carbs and if you have them twisted wrong that would be why the carbs are low in the back and don't line up.

There should basically be a straight line from the rear boots to the front ones.

My guess is either the airbox is too low (if you took it out) and/or the boots between the carbs and airbox are not rotated correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the second you said they were numbered I think I see my problem. If the pic is correct on what the numbers look like, then I only have the #1 and #2. For all 4 carbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe there are two of each, because the two sides, cylinder 1&2 and cylinder 3&4 are mirror of each other, so they would use a #1 and #2 style boot for each side.

I've had luck standing on the footpegs, reaching my hands to the carbs, with the intake clamps loose enough for me to easily rotate them by hand, I push on side in first and wiggle the other one in while holding the other side shut, the wiggle it up and down a bit while pushing and they should all fit snuggly, you know they are in because they feel like they pop into place. and as GG stated, start with the intakle boots then the airbox boots, the airbox is loose in the frame and it will adapt to the angle of the carbs somewhat.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
The "boots" between the carbs and the engine are labeled 1 thru 4.
The "boots" between the carbs and the airbox are different as I recall. As said above the outer two are the same, and the inner two are the same.

Assuming the airbox was not removed, and regardless if the boots between the airbox and carbs are all the same or 2 and 2, it's just a matter of rotating the boots to fit.

Install the carbs onto the engine and fasten them first. Then do the boots from the airbox to the carb one at a time. They will fit.

Reactions: Doubloon
1 - 5 of 5 Posts