RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Bandit dies under acceleration

18K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  txhogcowboy 
#1 ·
Hello guys, new here. Just purchased my first bandit the other day. 1996 bandit 600s. The guy I got it from says that it ran perfect until it sat for a few years. He said that he took the carbs apart to clean them and didn't adjust the floats correctly. Afterwards it had a hard time starting, and once it was finally started it would die if you gave it the slightest amount of throttle. I took the carbs off, adjusted floats and put it back together. It seems to be a little bit better. but still not rideable. The bike now starts instantly. allows you to give it a little bit of throttle, but still dies out. I was told to sync the carbs, my plan is to do that tomorrow. But i'm still confused. It seems like most of the info I can find is for bandit 1200, i got the b6. Any input would be much appriciated :)

#3 ·
So i took the carbs apart (again) double checked and cleaned everything. Talked to the guys at the bike shop. I also showed them my carbs, They said they couldn't see anything wrong with them. They also told me to check valve clearance. I took the valve cover off. adjusted all the valves and started it up. Still runs like crap. Nothing has made a difference at all. Im lost!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

#5 ·
I just made an account to specifically reply to your post so you can get your bike going!

Do you have a jet kit in it? What did you set the fuel air mixture screws to?

I'm asking because I just got a 01 bandit 600 and the guy put in a stage 1 jet kit but when cleaning the carbs (missed cleaning the pilot jets) set the fuel air mixture screws to 1-7/8 turn out (stock setting) but the jet kit requires more air since its putting in more fuel. They should have been set to 2.5 turns out, so I did that. I gained SO MUCH POWER in my mid band. Before it was bogging down when I got over 5k RPM (too much fuel).

Hope this helps!

Also, I don't think you have any problem with your coils, if you're running fine at low rpm then they are working, might check the timing advancer, could be wrong and sending the wrong signals at high rpm.

#6 ·
had a Kawasaki ZR-7, that would die at anything over 4-5krpm, found out it was a build up of crap/oil/water in the inner part of the air box (carb side of the filter).
might be something simple like that, is easily overlooked.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks magruder13, thats awesome that people would make a account just to give their input :D Anywayz, I have factory jets in it. Pilot screws are set to 2 turns out. I have been messing around starting at 1.5 turns and went to 2.5 turns, It seems to run best at 2 turns. Part of my problem was that the float in carb #2 was sticking closed. I adjusted that. They all open and close properly now. The bike actually runs! I did a few laps around my neighborhood for the first time. Still has some problems though. Im guessing carbs still need adjusted. It usually wants to die on the first rev, but if i rev slightly, then let the rpm's drop, then rev again it seems better. I need a hand with this!!!! Only know 2 people that are knowledgeable in these things, and its hard to get either person to come over. Would hate to have to take it to a shop. I dont like those guys hahaha

Oh and the air filter and box are clean. Filter is brand new. Although it hasn't been on for most of the carb cleaning & testing

#13 · (Edited)
A bike that runs well cold at idle and poorly when up to temp is running rich. What size are your pilot jets? Did you do a carb soak with Berrymans and make certain all passages are clear, I.E., blowing passages with compressed air after a dip? Manifolds cracked and leaking air? Vacuum block of boots dry rotted?

#14 ·
help?

hey i know this isnt my post but i got a 1991 bandit 400
runs okay starts ildes i can ride but when i try and go past 4krpms it struggles till 7k rpms then after that it takes off fast
it seems between 4k -7k it wants to die like it loaded up wit fuel or it starving for fuel idk

i cleaned the carbs , no air filter took it out was very dirty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.