Engine Start Hesitation

Logo

Engine Start Hesitation

This is a discussion on Engine Start Hesitation within the Kawasaki Versys 650 forums, part of the Other Bikes category; Strange thing started happening just yesterday; When I push the start button there is a 1/2 second delay or more sometimes before it kicks over. ...

Engine Start Hesitation

Strange thing started happening just yesterday; When I push the start button there is a 1/2 second delay or more sometimes before it kicks over. It's not turning over, it just seems like there's a pause, like the relay in the switch isn't connecting perfectly or something. I assumed it might be a battery issue as it's a 2014 and I left it outside all winter this year without a battery tender on it. So I replaced the battery. On first start it seemed to be the solution, but this morning it was the same odd delay. I also went out and gave it a try a few minutes ago and while everything powers up properly on the key turn, the first push of the start button gave me absolutely nothing. Almost like the button wasn't even wired.

So, anyone seen anything like this before? It's a super clean 2014 Versys 650 with not a single upgrade, bone stock, and well taken care of. I'll be checking out all connections when I get home tonight but thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe there's a random but well known fail point in the system. Worth asking, right?

Cheers everyone, looks like good riding weather this long weekend here in Portland, OR. Hope it's going around.

Ever figure it out? I have a 2015 versys 650 that is doing the exact same thing. Put in a new battery and tested the solenoid. No voltage at solenoid when I push the button. The problem comes and goes.

Electrics aren't my strong suit, but I'd make sure the sidestand cut-off switch and the clutch safety switch contacts are clean. Maybe flip the kill switch on/off a dozen times, too, in case those contacts are getting dirty.
    2015 Versys 650 ABS
    (Former owner 2003 ZR-7S)
    ZR7OA No. 984, AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Nat'l Cycle V-Stream windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, SW-Motech luggage rack and side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, RKA 13L tank bag, RKA 36L rack bag, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, Hyper-Lites, seat riser mod, decalectomy

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Solved the problem by replacing the RH switch. $111.00 at rocky mountain atv.

Put in a new battery and tested the solenoid. No voltage at solenoid here
 when I push the button. The problem comes and goes.
    Last edited by Migdalia; 01-02-19 at 01:53 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links