Ronald's Bike Project!

Logo

Ronald's Bike Project!

This is a discussion on Ronald's Bike Project! within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; Hey guys! As my first thread on this forum, I wanted to give a little introduction. I had a few pocket bikes growing up, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ronald's Bike Project!

Ronald's Bike Project!

Hey guys! As my first thread on this forum, I wanted to give a little introduction. I had a few pocket bikes growing up, and rode a dirt bike around my neighborhood for a year or so when I was 14, but never really got into actual riding until these past two years. My brother and I picked up a 1967 Kawasaki D1 in December of 2014. We finally got it running after over a year of fiddling with it off and on. It's not in pristine condition, but it's a blast to ride! Fast forward to summer of 2016, at 20 years old, I decide to get an actual bike! I picked up a 2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S at a great price. That great price might have been due to it being in an accident, not running, and missing many pieces... But! I got it running, ordered new parts for it, and made it overall road worthy(ish). It isn't the prettiest bike out there, but I love it. (Though 750cc is way more than I need)

1967 D1:

My Pride and Joy:

So far I've:
    • Replaced Clutch Cable
    • Replaced Front Brake Lever
    • Replaced Front Wheel Bearings
    • Replaced Rear brake pads
    • Cleaned the Carbs
    • Changed Fluids
    • Replaced Front Fairings (missing when bought)
    • Installed Exhaust from Kawasaki ZR750
    • Replaced Rear Turn Signals (removed flush mounts)

So that's it so far! But here is where the project continues. I'm studying industrial design at the University of Houston, and am currently enrolled in course called Materials and Methods. Essentially we are learning about methods of manufacturing and different material processes. As an assignment, we have to do fiberglass lamination and mold making. Lucky for me I've been fiberglassing since I was 12! We could do anything we wanted, as long as it was fiberglass, so I figured why not something for my bike? So a belly pan it is! I've always loved the simple design of the Gimbel belly pan on the market (but not the price tag it has!), so I wanted to do something of equal simplicity, but still look really stunning.

So after sketching out a few ideas and 3D modeling something that I liked, here's where I start.

Laser cut cardboard pieces:

Assembly:

Getting an idea of what's to come:

Final assembly:

Fiberglassing starts:

Trimming:

Mocking up:

Bondo time!:

After sanding and priming:

More Bondo and sanding:

Primed and spot putty applied:

Sanded:

Primed and clear coated. Ready for molding!:

After all this is done, would any of you guys be interested in me doing a run of these? Let me know!
    Last edited by rafinger; 11-10-16 at 12:04 AM.
    HilbillyKat likes this.

Obo
    Looks good. I'm surprised with that skill you didn't go the extra mile and make a lower fairing.

https://www.riderforums.com/zr-7-acce...-fairings.html

BTW red is the fastest zr7s.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

rf bp.jpgAND red is easier to find in the tall grass in the ditch. LOL BTW, really nice job on making the chin fairing. I went the easier route and modified one to taste and made mounts.
    Obo likes this.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Thats cool as can be, well done, on the glass.

I suspect that d1 is 100cc's? That was one of Kawasakis best motors.

I wish you woudl buy a ninja 1000 and make a fiberglass replacement for the exhaust shield on the right side of the bike.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

My first bike was one of these (1965?) 50cc to 65cc (depending on the year) Harley 2-strokes imported from Italy in the video below- they made them up to 250cc. I bought it very used in 1971 when I was 12, with paper route and lawn mowing money. Mine was a medium brown color, with a small pair of Vise-grips on top of the engine to shift with since the handlebar shifting was gone. My second bike was a 1970 100cc 2-stroke Kawasaki, bought used in 1972 when I was 13.
    -
    -

-
    -
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Obo View Post
    Looks good. I'm surprised with that skill you didn't go the extra mile and make a lower fairing.

https://www.riderforums.com/zr-7-acce...-fairings.html

BTW red is the fastest zr7s.
    Thanks! I'm actually not too keen on the look of a full fairing for this bike... I figured a belly pan was enough for me But maybe if a decent amount of people are interested, it might be something I'll consider!

Quote Originally Posted by carryall View Post
    AND red is easier to find in the tall grass in the ditch. LOL BTW, really nice job on making the chin fairing. I went the easier route and modified one to taste and made mounts.
    Haha very true! But nice job modifying that one to your liking! Making things your own is always an awesome feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    Thats cool as can be, well done, on the glass.

I suspect that d1 is 100cc's? That was one of Kawasakis best motors.

I wish you woudl buy a ninja 1000 and make a fiberglass replacement for the exhaust shield on the right side of the bike.
    Yep! I believe it was the first motor to use the Superlube system! So it's a pretty neat piece of history. Well if you have a spare Ninja 1000 lying around I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands...

Quote Originally Posted by ZedZedR600 View Post
    My first bike was one of these (1965?) 50cc to 65cc (depending on the year) Harley 2-strokes imported from Italy in the video below- they made them up to 250cc. I bought it very used in 1971 when I was 12, with paper route and lawn mowing money. Mine was a medium brown color, with a small pair of Vise-grips on top of the engine to shift with since the handlebar shifting was gone. My second bike was a 1970 100cc 2-stroke Kawasaki, bought used in 1972 when I was 13.
    Both those bikes sound awesome! The Harley sounds super interesting indeed. I love odd bikes that had different methods of functioning than more "traditional" bikes. My D1 has a rotary shifter where you shift down to first, down second, down third, down fourth, and down again and you're back in neutral!

Also! I found the thread from the guy who owned the bike before I did! Pretty cool:
    https://www.riderforums.com/general-z...vage-bike.html

If you could come up with a complete lower cowling...you could probably sell quite a few of them. They were big sellers on GPz750s...and I'm sure they would be on those as well!

Obo
    I have a lower, and a seat cowl.

This was before I added hard luggage.

IMG_2835.JPG
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

something tells me that old lady of yours would shine up brighter than youd imagine just like my 74 xl100...all i did was dissasemble and clean/polish EVERYTHING...the trick was in useing the right chemicals..the end result is a "survivor" of a bike that looks neerly as good as it did when it was new

as for your new chin....i dig it..but like many otehrs i cheated..course i went the long way around and modified 88?89? ninja 600 bodywork to fit..from the pan up to the windshield...so when im asked what the bike is "its an air cooled ninja"

obo i want your seat cowl!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyKat View Post
    If you could come up with a complete lower cowling...you could probably sell quite a few of them. They were big sellers on GPz750s...and I'm sure they would be on those as well!
    Well hopefully I can sell a few of these if people are interested! I'd really love to do a run of these. Perhaps with the earnings from that I could maybe do a full fairing!

Quote Originally Posted by Obo View Post
    I have a lower, and a seat cowl.

This was before I added hard luggage.
    So that's what my bike is going to look like when it's done... Haha but that's super nice! I really dig the seat cowl

Quote Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
    something tells me that old lady of yours would shine up brighter than youd imagine just like my 74 xl100...all i did was dissasemble and clean/polish EVERYTHING...the trick was in useing the right chemicals..the end result is a "survivor" of a bike that looks neerly as good as it did when it was new

as for your new chin....i dig it..but like many otehrs i cheated..course i went the long way around and modified 88?89? ninja 600 bodywork to fit..from the pan up to the windshield...so when im asked what the bike is "its an air cooled ninja"

That picture is actually from 2014! It's in... slightly... better condition now. I plan to do a complete teardown and restoration on it when I can find the time to do so! All of the chrome bits are rusted beyond what chemicals and elbow grease can fix. Definitely needs sandblasting and proper chroming to get it looking proper. The actual painted bits though are in great condition! But I'm glad you like the chin!
    I actually made a video of it around the time I got the D1 running:
    1967 Kawasaki D1 - On the Road

And I forgot to post that I made two other videos working on the ZR-7S! I tried a different style of video with these two. I was trying to emulate a calm feeling of just work without music or dialogue being distracting. But tell me what you guys think! Would dialogue be better?
    Replacing Zip-Tied Exhaust with New Bracket - Kawasaki ZR-7S
    Repairing and Replacing Turn Signals - Kawasaki ZR-7S

But an update on the project! Mold waxed and buffed and support walls made. Clay Added to fill the gaps. PVA applied. Two Layers of Gelcoat. Waiting now to fiberglass!

Last edited by rafinger; 11-09-16 at 06:19 PM.

you would be supprised on that d1 about how much of that chrome can be at the least made VERY presentable.....my xl100 i swore the wheels wouldnt come back...and if you told me that they did id still call you a lier...."bar keepers best friend" that stuff works amazing wonders!!!!..the other one is "never dull"

ill go digging for before n after if ya want...it sat on one of the islands off the coast of seattle from new in 74..i got it a year ago thru a friend..it was his grand parents..tags expired in 1977 and still had fuel in it

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
    It's an Ermax model, just like the lower cowl. From some discussions Carryall and I have had it will only fit the stock seat, not a Corbin.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

I agree shortlife, Never dull works very well, Simichrome is another that works great for old and slightly pitted chrome. A cordless drill with a small buffing wheel will save the end of your finger from going numb and speed things up considerably too! Old spoke wheels are the hardest and most time consuming project on restoring some old bikes.ct left rear.jpg
    Obo likes this.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by rafinger View Post
    And I forgot to post that I made two other videos working on the ZR-7S! I tried a different style of video with these two. I was trying to emulate a calm feeling of just work without music or dialogue being distracting. But tell me what you guys think! Would dialogue be better?
    Replacing Zip-Tied Exhaust with New Bracket - Kawasaki ZR-7S
    Repairing and Replacing Turn Signals - Kawasaki ZR-7S
    Man you can sand fast Music or audio is really up to you. It works either way.

I'm not a fan of that exhaust can. The rivet holes down the side and at the front look like it was homemade at least from the pictures. It may look better in person. I'd be tempted to paint it black or something, but that's just my opinion.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

20140830_180930_resized.jpg If you do chose to paint it black, here's the absolute best spray paint from a can I have found and used on exhaust. It's a semi gloss but way closer to a gloss than a flat finish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links