Anyone ever pull a trailer with thier ZR?

Logo

This is a discussion on Anyone ever pull a trailer with thier ZR? within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; I'm thinking about building a single wheel trailer to pull behind my zr7s and wondered if anyone had done the same (or a double wheel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone ever pull a trailer with thier ZR?

Obo

I'm thinking about building a single wheel trailer to pull behind my zr7s and wondered if anyone had done the same (or a double wheel trailer)

I'm debating about the attachment point on the bike: using the rear axle for a low mounting point vs making a bracket that attaches to the threaded attachment rails.

high mount example
    mqdefault.jpg

low mount example
    lacrosse24035.jpg

The trailer will have suspension on the wheel, but I'm toying with which will yield a better ride.

I plan on using an old U-joint for the front movement point.

Hitch_Cleat_Joint.JPG
    Last edited by Obo; 01-15-14 at 05:35 AM.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

I would think the low mounted point would yield the best handling.

I've always wished for a small trailer on some of my trips. Three days in a trip and I'm jealous of the goldwings and their luggage rig.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Do eeeeeeet. I would prefer the high mount. That's how most hitches work. Check out the Goldwings and other touring bikes. Yes you can do through the axle too, but I'd go high.
    Two weeks vacation does not make a life

2009 KLR 650 x2 One for him, one for her!

Blog: http://smashrides.blogspot.com/
    Spotwalla: [URL="https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=c37454d3920cc59fd[/URL]

High mount would probably be stronger.

Having said that I would buy one of these TOMORROW if I had the money: moto-mule a trailer you pull with your dual sport motorcycle. The builder said he'd make a hitch for the 650R if I bought one.

But I can't fab my own hitch.
    Don Clements likes this.

Spotwalla: [URL="https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=c37454d3920cc59fd[/URL]

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Having said that I would buy one of these TOMORROW if I had the money: moto-mule a trailer you pull with your dual sport motorcycle. The builder said he'd make a hitch for the 650R if I bought one.

But I can't fab my own hitch.
    I thought of you and Karla's off road antics when I saw this:

offroad-with-single-wheel-motorcycle-trailer.jpg
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

I promise when we get 2 dual sports I'll be posting a lot more video of our antics!

heres the thing..i talk with ALOT of bikers crossing the border as we wait on the ferry..many of which have trailers(these guys useualy left canada on the east coast and ran a loop of the states and are on the way back in)..the hight mount is great IF you have the frame for it(we really dont) and then there is the need for a beefier spring and shock etc..which hurts the handling except when fully loaded...the swingarm mount ...the general concensus i got was this was IDEAL for the fact that unless the trailer is silly heavy it floats and moves with the bike instead of fighting it..the only down side to it was the ability to light up the rear a lil easier if the trailer is too heavy..most of the guys with a swingarm mount basicly say..you cant ever feel the trailer back there..itsl ike its not there ever

i randomy snatch up old honda dirt bikes ..and have considered making bike trailer for my zr7

long story short...
    for sport bikes..swing it..for fat frame heavy cruisers frame it..for dirt bikes well...they are the anomily..toooooo light to go swing arm..youd fight for traction unless the trailer is silly light..but they have no real frame either...the general idea i had here was swing arm it but load the bike with almost enuf weight of a 2up ride and that should counter the trailer enuf to be a solid setup....

something else to consider is hitch removal...the swingarm setup is easyest to remove
    Smash and gantt like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    I'm glad you posted sh0rt cause I wanted to vote my opinion based on observation, not experience, if only to give pause to the question. I say swingarm is the best option by far for ZR. Goldwings and other big baggers have low frames behind all the luggage work designed to take a hitch mount. And they dont have their tails swingin' in the breeze like a ZR. Touring bicycles hitch mount to the chainstays, which is the swingarm equivalent, on both suspended and non-suspended bikes. Imagine on a suspended bicycle having your hitch mounted to the underside of your seat! Not good. Keep it low, linear, and leanable.
    Smash likes this.
    2001 ZR-7s (ZR750H1).....R.... "Ol' Red"
    1995 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide "Grunt Pig"

Obo
    While I agree a frame mount will add weight to the rear spring it is the easier way in my opinion.

I'm trying to think of an easy way to mount it to the swing arm and be removable in short fashion, but am having trouble seeing how given the rear end setup on the zr's.

If it was as easy as drilling and welding some tabs on the swing arm then sure it's doable, but I'd worry I'd negatively affect the swing arm by drilling it. If only we had a hollow rear axle or something....

I thought about putting brackets under the wheel alignment indicators, but I was worried they'd end up pulling the rear wheel out of alignment or over tighten the chain.

I did see another high mount alternative, but it's a bit ugly. It basically puts the majority of the carried weight over the single tire on the trailer.

Here's a video of it
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Obo, look at the Motomule site for inspiration.

Obo
    Well. I've found a link saying you should NOT attach it to the moving rear swingarm.

Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle | Selil
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

of course it does..but they basicly mean it should be attatched to a "fixed point"..in our case the swing arm IS a fixed point...yeah it moves but is far stronger than the rear frame of our bikes...thing is ..thats for traditional hitches not a u-joint..or even taking into acount of sport bikes or the like its written for baggers heavyweights where yeah attatch to the frame by all means..youve got the weight and frame to do it

you attach to the swing arm..where is the load?.....solidly on the rear wheel with no adverse pull/push
    attach to the frame and where is your load?..your load is squatting the rear but PULLING UP on the front end...

do you want the front of your bike lighter every time you give it throttle it increases your chance of lifting the front wheel ..yes being attached to the swing arm means it has more sheer force if your corner too hard..but that same sheer force from a frame mount is move to the FRONT wheel

basicly a trailer on a bike is pick your poison...do you want to always have control of the front wheel or rear wheel?

front wheel control=swing arm
    rear wheel control=frame

no 2 ways around that on our lightweights

Quote Originally Posted by Obo View Post
    While I agree a frame mount will add weight to the rear spring it is the easier way in my opinion.

I'm trying to think of an easy way to mount it to the swing arm and be removable in short fashion, but am having trouble seeing how given the rear end setup on the zr's.

If it was as easy as drilling and welding some tabs on the swing arm then sure it's doable, but I'd worry I'd negatively affect the swing arm by drilling it. If only we had a hollow rear axle or something....

I thought about putting brackets under the wheel alignment indicators, but I was worried they'd end up pulling the rear wheel out of alignment or over tighten the chain.

I did see another high mount alternative, but it's a bit ugly. It basically puts the majority of the carried weight over the single tire on the trailer.

Here's a video of it

Wow that high of a mount would make me nervous. I would think with it being that high above the center of gravity of the bike would be a bad idea. Would try and pull the front tire off the ground under acceleration, and the rear tire on heavy braking. ?? And for that much money I'd rather save quite a bit and buy a Motomule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links