Spitting out Coolant

Logo

Spitting out Coolant

This is a discussion on Spitting out Coolant within the General Ninja 650R forums, part of the Kawasaki Ninja 650R category; Hey Guys, I have '14 Ninja 650. I recently did a coolant flush and switched to Toyota Pink antifreeze. I filled up the reservoir a ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustAJ

Thread: Spitting out Coolant

  1. #1
    Newbie redted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    2

    Spitting out Coolant

    Hey Guys,

    I have '14 Ninja 650. I recently did a coolant flush and switched to Toyota Pink antifreeze. I filled up the reservoir a little above the "HI" line. I noticed a little bit of coolant spit out on the ground from the previous ride when I take it out. I did the flush at 8500mi, I'm at 9100mi now and have added 4-6 ounces of pink since then. Does this happen to any of you guy running non-Kawa coolant? Also my fan turns off when I turn the bike off - Do your bikes do that?

    Appreciate any insight, I'm taking an 800mi trip to Iowa for the 4th of July and I don't want to bring coolant with me.

  2. #2
    Up-And Comer CrateCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    32
    Thanked
    1 times
    I haven't had that but did have the top of the reserve tank crack open due to sun damage to the clear plastic. That was about a year ago (my 650 is a 2013).

  3. #3
    Site Elder JustAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    91343
    Posts
    975
    Thanked
    36 times
    The only time I had it happen was when I was having issues with my radiator cap. It wasn't sealing properly so she'd spit. But it was also accompanied by a bubbling sound shortly after I shut it down. If it's only a little then don't worry. Having to add more after a flush is normal since there is always *some* air left in the works even if you fill it slowly and super carefully.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Up-And Comer Balazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61
    Thanked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAJ View Post
    The only time I had it happen was when I was having issues with my radiator cap. It wasn't sealing properly so she'd spit. But it was also accompanied by a bubbling sound shortly after I shut it down. If it's only a little then don't worry. Having to add more after a flush is normal since there is always *some* air left in the works even if you fill it slowly and super carefully.
    I have this exact same problem with the spitting and bubbling. How did you fix it? New cap?

  6. #5
    Site Elder JustAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    91343
    Posts
    975
    Thanked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazar View Post
    I have this exact same problem with the spitting and bubbling. How did you fix it? New cap?
    Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put hte "old" cap back on.
    redted likes this.

  7. #6
    Up-And Comer Balazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61
    Thanked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAJ View Post
    Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put hte "old" cap back on.
    Great tidbit. Thanks for sharing. I am planning to do a coolant flush and troubleshoot it this weekend. Glad I haven't bought a cap yet.

  8. #7
    Newbie redted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAJ View Post
    Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put the "old" cap back on.
    My cap is sealed, good tip none the less. I tracked the pink drips from the ground up and I found the source of my leak: the band clap connecting a rubber tube to the water pump. I must have put it back on improperly after the flush. My bad.

  9. #8
    Supreme Being Ozninjaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,306
    Thanked
    549 times
    ....and yes, your thermo fan will turn off with the ignition.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity - Martin Luther King Jnr.

  10. #9
    Up-And Comer passive101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    123
    Thanked
    6 times
    What type of grease can be used on the cap? I notice I'm leaking coolant on my 2017

  11. #10
    Site Elder JustAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    91343
    Posts
    975
    Thanked
    36 times
    Regular old everyday grease. And just a tiny amount, enough to coat the rim in a thin layer so the parts don't stick.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Tags for this Thread