Pulsing front brake N1K -- can't take it anymore

Logo

This is a discussion on Pulsing front brake N1K -- can't take it anymore within the 4th Gen Z1000/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z800, Z750 & Z-750S category; What's the latest recommendation for front rotors and pads for N1K? From what I've seen here on the forum for pads: DP SDP947HH or VESRAH ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kenors
  • 2 Post By whynot
  • 2 Post By Obo
  • 1 Post By rcannon409

Thread: Pulsing front brake N1K -- can't take it anymore

What's the latest recommendation for front rotors and pads for N1K?

From what I've seen here on the forum for pads:

DP SDP947HH

or

VESRAH ZD-355CT

And for rotors, I'm looking at Galfer DF 184 CW

My bike is a 2014 bought new in 2016 now with 12K miles.

Do you re-use or replace the mounting bolts?

Thanks ...
    Last edited by whynot; 04-20-19 at 09:48 AM.
    2014 Ninja 1000 -- 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 -- 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S -- 1980 Suzuki GS1000G -- and some vintage British

Good timing. I've been fighting this issue for a while and I think I've found the perfect answer for me. Brembo rotors and DP pads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Disc-...gAAOSwFAtb7Zzt

The rotors are shipped from Italy but only took 5 days to get. Very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The DP HH pads bedded very quickly and this setup provides a very linear feel. Not super grabby but with the harder you pull, the stronger it brakes and one finger for me lifts the rear wheel.

I'd been through 3 rounds of scotch pad and cleaner on Kawasaki rotors to smooth them out and tried different pads to no avail. Finally bi the bullet and I'm really happy I did. I also expect this combo will NOT start pulsing 15-20k miles down the road like the OEMs did.

Also, I just re-used the mounting bolts. For everything there is to know about Ninja brakes ping rcannon409. He can tell you all about the galfer rotor setup feel.
    2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Vstream tour screen, Givi XS306 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy, Aerostitch Roadcrafter.

Great, thanks, great prices, too [thumbsup] ... what you describe should suit me just fine.
    2014 Ninja 1000 -- 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 -- 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S -- 1980 Suzuki GS1000G -- and some vintage British

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kenors View Post
    Good timing. I've been fighting this issue for a while and I think I've found the perfect answer for me. Brembo rotors and DP pads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Disc-...gAAOSwFAtb7Zzt

The rotors are shipped from Italy but only took 5 days to get. Very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The DP HH pads bedded very quickly and this setup provides a very linear feel. Not super grabby but with the harder you pull, the stronger it brakes and one finger for me lifts the rear wheel.

I'd been through 3 rounds of scotch pad and cleaner on Kawasaki rotors to smooth them out and tried different pads to no avail. Finally bi the bullet and I'm really happy I did. I also expect this combo will NOT start pulsing 15-20k miles down the road like the OEMs did.

Also, I just re-used the mounting bolts. For everything there is to know about Ninja brakes ping rcannon409. He can tell you all about the galfer rotor setup feel.

My new front brake pads came in -- DP Sport HH+ (SDP947HH+) and the new rotors should be here early next week.

kenors, how did you bed in your new DP pads? From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by kenors View Post
    Great reference rcannon409 (as usual). For our short attention span readers consider:

Useful information in the above mentioned link: https://www.motostuff.com/tech-tips-...in-your-brakes

Read the entire article if you want to know what's going on and all about brake pad materials, etc. If you just want to change your pads and break them in, read on:

"The Bedding in Process: The basic process of bedding in pads and rotors is to accelerate your bike up to 40-50 mph (about half throttle in 4th or 5th gear) and bring the bike down to about 5 mph by applying the brakes at about 60-80% stopping power. Cruise back to your starting point to allow some cool down time between braking runs. Do this about 10-15 times and gradually work your way up to applying maximum braking force without locking up the tires or coming to a complete stop."
    ... but the DP package reads:

"New pads require bedding-in (80% contact area) before maximum performance is achieved. This may take up to 150 miles (250 kms) depending on friction compound and usage. Until then, use brakes gently, only braking severely in an emergency."

So ... what to do?

Thanks.

These really aren't contradictory. The bottom line is not to expect max braking at first and avoid a) maximum hard stops and b) coming to a complete stop holding the front brake against the rotors. The point being, there will be small imperfections in the pad leading to hotspots in the pad from braking. You don't want to get them superhot which could cause a glazed spot on the pad and you don't want to hold that hot spot on the rotor after coming to a complete stop. In traffic, I find myself doing the last few feet of braking with the rear brake and using it to hold the bike stopped if necessary.

If you go out and do a few 50-80% stops you'll notice a progressively greater grip per the same lever pressure and if you look at the rotor you'll notice "stripes" where the highest spots of the pads are hitting it. These will eventually spread to cover the entire rotor surface and the grip will be greater and greater for the same pressure. Mine kept getting better and better all the way out to ~500 miles or so, probably because I was pretty gentle on them to begin with. I also put on new tires and it was rainy and so was extra gentle with the brakes. Did a 300 mile ride yesterday and, when nobody was looking, did a couple 100mph "panic" stops. These were so much easier to do than with the stock brakes. I'm a happy boy!
    rcannon409 likes this.
    2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Vstream tour screen, Givi XS306 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy, Aerostitch Roadcrafter.

Thanks, great explanation ... again ... as usual.

Have also given up the habit of holding the front brake while stopped, doing as you do with the rear.

Most of my years of riding have been with mechanical brakes:

Part of the issue is that one I quoted was from dirt bike site, so 4th or 5th gear would not get you thrown in jail! Also, on the dirt bike you wont have an odometer so a mileiage figure is sort of worthless. I liked the idea behind what he wrote. DP brake pads are really good. I stopped using them and changed to Vesrah. Not from a performance standpoint, but the dp pads made a strange sound that drove me nuts..sort of an electronic sound I guess??? Still, and excellent pad.

Still great pads and very forgiving of break in. There are several brands that are really easy to glaze and overheat. If you get those hot too quickly, it pretty well ruins them. They still work but not as well if you had heated them slowly.

Did you get the rotors Kenors recommended? If not you should have!
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

rcannon, thanks for the clarifications. Maybe i won't hear the strange DP pad sounds since I wear 33db-reducing earplugs when riding

And yes, the Brembo rotors are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Thanks, guys, for doing the research and thinking for me!
    Last edited by whynot; 04-28-19 at 05:01 PM.
    rcannon409 and kenors like this.

That noise was strange but not as if it ruined the ride. Just a slight annoyance.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    That noise was strange but not as if it ruined the ride. Just a slight annoyance.
    I had a noise like that coming from the rear of my bike occasionally. I fixed it by driving solo.
    Sojourner and rcannon409 like this.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Obo, my car has the same problem.......LOL
    Obo likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links