Alright...I wanted a 180mm cross section in the back and a real shock. This bike came to be with buggered bearings, a soft shock, and ruined brakes. TIME TO UPGRADE! Or at least it's certainly an upgrade over what it had.
To start with, I had two options. I accidentally left my notes in the shop so this will be vague. I had on hand an entire K5 GSXR600 donor bike, and I had most of an R6 rear end (swingarm, wheel, axle, cush, brake, links). I went with the GSXR rear end because the swingarm was shorter than the R6, it was narrower at the pivot than the R6 (gives me greater flexibility for maintaining center), the link mounts were in geometrically similar locations, and I had the entire assembly on hand. The downside to using the GSXR swingarm was the 25mm pivot bolt. The R6 (at least the '05 model) has a 20mm swingarm pivot bolt so nothing fancy is required to fit it to the bike...that being said, if you go with an R6 arm it may require some shaving off the frame or the arm...I didn't have it in hand to try but I had to make a spacer to position the GSXR swingarm in the frame, and the R6 swingarm was noticeably wider than the GSXR arm.
To get the arm mounted was pretty straight forward. Suzuki uses a hollow pivot bolt for the GSXR. The inside diameter of the pivot bolt is supposed to be 20mm. It was quite rusty, and the ZR botl was pretty rusty, so I had to do a LOT of sanding on both to get it to work...but essentially I cut the ends off the Suzuki pivot bolt and used it as a bearing spacer. I'm concerned about rust and getting it apart later. I may end up taking the whole assembly all back apart and drilling holes in the sleeve so that grease will get through.
Now I could have used the ZR7 shock, but I wanted the full function of the GSXR piece. The GSXR shock has a large reservoir on it, though, and was a couple inches longer. I ended up having to cut out the battery box and then had to remove the factory shock mount.
I laid a steel beam across the spars for a new shock mount. It is 1/4" thick and channeled, but still flexed a little so I added a U brace on top. I'm not completely happy with it, which is why it's not really cleaned off...I may end up grinding it all off and starting over with something neater. In the end, between the two braces, I also lost the filter box. Now I'm going to have to figure out a way to make a new filter box that can fit around the braces or go with a lunchbox/pods.
As said above, the link geometry of was a boon...each mounting point was very close between the GSXR and ZR7. It's not a perfect match, but very close. However, the link is much wider than the ZR's and the swap cost me the center stand. The stand will simply not close around the link. It wouldn't even raise enough to put the tire on the ground.
Battery will be relocated to the trunk.
All in all, I like the look, and I like the added meat in the back.
Hopefully by next weekend the GSXR forks will be mounted up and ready to go.