Just bought a house!!!

Logo

Just bought a house!!!

This is a discussion on Just bought a house!!! within the Graeme's Trip Around Oz - 2004 forums, part of the Daily Ride category; It's hard to say at this point what my feelings are. I'm very happy about my first house but same time I'm kinda upset. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Artur1610
  • 1 Post By rcannon409

Thread: Just bought a house!!!

Just bought a house!!!

It's hard to say at this point what my feelings are. I'm very happy about my first house but same time I'm kinda upset. I didn't know it's gonna take so much time and effort to do whatever has to be done on the house. I have a great plan for a motorcycle trip, now this is a history. Hopefully majority of the work will be done in next couple of weeks so I can enjoy living in it.
    rcannon409 likes this.
    RIDERS OF ALL NATIONS, UNITE!!!!!

Welcome to economic slavery at its finest! And in North Jersey to boot! If I wasn't married I would be doing one of those Tiny Homes... attached to a large garage. Don't want to pry but, What needs to be done? Hopefully it will be paint and other stuff that though time consuming - is easier than say replacing a widow, door or deciding to put down flooring...... all done by yourself - It's fun to me and very rewarding - but takes time that most of us would rather spend elsewhere..... good luck dude!
    Wow - that's Cool!

No really Officer, I wasn't riding too fast - I was flying too low

Congrats on the new home. It probably doesn't make sense but I just don't feel whole without being a homeowner. Our latest home is 816 sqft, less than 1/2 the size of out last home (1980 sqft), also less than 1/2 the "economic slavery", so we're loving that. I'd love to build one (or maybe more) of those tiny homes for a vacation cabin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes, its like a vehicle repair, really. Twice as much and four times as long as you expect. Just budget your time with that in mind.

For costs in remodling, just figure like this....

Think about how much it should cost....

double THAT

then add 30%

You'll be right there when totaled up.

Same formula for motorcycle repairs.

Also, dont listen to a wife or significant other when purchasing. They are all about..."OH, just move that wall, add on to that floor...." in a Martha Stewart world, it works. In reality, you pay for each and every "wall move".
    Boscoe likes this.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    I've found the actual working on my house not so bad. It's the figuring out where to start and the dozen extra trips you have to make to Lowes's and Home Depot the frustrating part. What's helped me a lot is watching YouTube videos and reading about others people's experiences doing a similar job. By learning, thinking and preparing first, I've been able to reduce the trips to the hardware store and time fetching tools that I overlooked. I've gotten less frustrated and more productive through this process. That process payed off just last week but not house related. I needed to replace one of the car's rotors and pads, along with oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and top off all fluids. I looked up part numbers online, spent 10 minutes at Autozone and never had to go back. I watched a video on replacing the cabin air filter to educate myself. I read a how-to on the rotors to learn I needed a 22mm socket. I rounded up all the tools and supplies I needed and never had to walk back to the workshop which is about 90 ft away. Got everything done on the car fast and without frustration. You can spend time preparing now or spend it cussing later.

Also, use the right tools, even if you have to buy, borrow or rent. Pros have the talent to do amazing things with less than adequate tools. But for the weekend handyman, it usually causes more frustration and a poorer quality result.

Diamond, you nailed that one....I dont think I've ever bought the right stuff, first trip.....LOL even thinking like that.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Congratulations on buying a new house

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links