The "bugger" thread

Logo

The "bugger" thread

This is a discussion on The "bugger" thread within the Graeme's Trip Around Oz - 2004 forums, part of the Daily Ride category; This thread will have posts of things that went wrong/mishaps/minidramas/maxidramas. bugger1: fuel problem? Left bb and 100kms down the road and the tank is near ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maintenance Overlord graeme gould's Avatar

The "bugger" thread

This thread will have posts of things that went wrong/mishaps/minidramas/maxidramas.

bugger1: fuel problem?

Left bb and 100kms down the road and the tank is near empty but not at the reserve position and there are all the indications of running out of fuel. This had happened previously and I thought I cleared the problem, by removing the gas changeover valve disassembling and cleaning the tank internal filter.

I have had about 10 gas tank refills and it only happened once again, now I am suspecting the filler cap vent valve? It may have something to do with temperature?

It happened here in Perth temps are up 25C, it was 15C coming across Oz

gg at Perth, ava good day
    Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most Easterly part of Australia

bugger 2 ......Day 2, engine won't start

1st night out and it was cold estimated 5C. Bike and gg are all packed up, after camping out.

Press the start button, lots of choke rrrrr, rrrrr, rrrrrr.......not much punch in the starting noise. Tried this at least 5 times nothing. Battery is down. Battery is over 3 years old. I thought about changing it before the trip, however it was not a problem.

Thoughts are running through my head, it is Saturday not much help here.

OK gg keep cool, what can I do? check fuel and spark.

Changed over the gas to reserve. Removed the camping gear and took one of the spare spark plugs out and then removed a spark plug lead and placed the spare plug in the lead. Placed the removed lead/plug on the engine and tried the starter, engine fired up on 3 cylinders and a spark was seen at the plug/lead sitting on the engine h'mmm what to do now?

To cut a long story short, the bike just started up on the next two cold mornings and I was able to replace the battery luckily at Mildura. Even then the new battery wasn't fully charged and zr7 wouldn't start.

ZR7 was fully charged after 2 days riding and it starting/running well now.

So I guess I prudently should have changed the battery.

More bugger posts to follow:

Bike fell over
    Dodgey chain

Keep the rubber side down

Sorry about the mishaps-Maybe you got a short due to the inclimate weather. Nothing but a few days of sun and fast riding wont cure.
    Bad Gas- Was it something that your bike ate? Try running a higher octane (boost in a can We have STP over here.) Overflow-Try opening up the fill and running-Any difference?

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

GG,
    re.: cold weather starting problem.
    Since the bike was turning over, I wonder if the battery really was the problem. On my ZR, on cold mornings, i.e when the temperature is below 6 C, I have to make sure that the choke lever is FULLY engaged or the silver flash won't start.
    I had this problem last fall, when I experienced cold mornings for the first time with the bike (I got the bike last may). For all spring and summer, I had been starting the bike with little or no choke, half choke at most. I had developped a philosophy that this bike didn`t need much choke and that full choke would inevitably result in massive flooding. However, when the first cold fall morning arrived, with the temperature only a few degrees above freezing (2-3 C), I went out and tried to start, it crancked ok but just wouldn`t start. I kept cranking and cranking, to the point that I was starting to worry about running the battery flat. When I decided there was nothing to loose, and couldn't smell fuel (i.e. it didn't seem flooded), I pushed that choke lever fully closed, touched the start button and it immediately fired up!
    Anyhow, that is my experience, it may apply to your bike, might also have been something else.
    André
    2004 red ZR-7S
    2002 silver ZR-7S, (destroyed by SUV)
    1981 Honda PA50
    1975 Norton Commando MkIII
    Mods: 17T front sprocket, Eastern Beaver headlamp relay, MotoSpecialties mirror extenders, GG axle nut covers (with lifetime guarantee), Jackman-tested backrest, homemade aluminum rack for Givi soft saddlebags, Westach CHT gauge, homemade faceplate for CHT, rear-shock internal mudflap, Pyramid fender extender and a partridge in a pear tree. Considering Stebel horn and Renntec bars.

Hi Andre

We did a battery "load" test with one of those u beaut, solid state, electronic, state of the art testers and it indicate that the battery condition was "BAD" I wasn't taken any risks as there was 3000kms of nothing ahead of me.

Sounds only minor difficulties so far. Know the sinking feeling trying to start the engine and battery is petering out. Luckily ZR7 can kickstart within few meters in 1st gear. No real push except walking while sitting on bike.
    Trouble had starting was combination of Cold and elevation. I try not to get creative, and start it how have allways started it. Choke for intial attempt, then no choke with some throttle. No go then back to choke attempt again then next attempt some throttle no choke.
    Alan - Green GSX1300R - Former Blurple Zr7sS rider

bugger 2 Pic battery

This is the offending battery, I removed the battery from zr7, which entails removing the air filter cover and lifting the rear of the gas tank, I did the job with my tools as it was a little test, that I could it "out in the bush"

The auto electrician gave me a hand to start the bolts on the battery terminals as the nut has to be lifted to start the bolt. He just put a piece of wire under the nut, I was going to put a small screw driver under the nut.

The job was done on the Anzac Day holiday at Mildura Victoria, do you know about Anzac Day?

gg at Perth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anzac day......Gallipoli.......Malta one big hospital......loads of Aussies and Kiwis recuperated here in WW1.
    Road Rage is inversely proportional to road width.

Anzac sounded like a British Screw up. That left Australian and New Zealand troops holding the bag

Re: bugger 2 Pic battery

Bugger Battery! Time for a Better Battery!
    Tony
    ZR7OA Member #162 Covered 2000 ZR-7F2Blue

'Cover'
    To place something upon or over, so as to protect or conceal.

Originally posted by Bronto
    Luckily ZR7 can kickstart within few meters in 1st gear. No real push except walking while sitting on bike.
    I'd like to see someone 'kickstart' a bike while walking with it, I think it would make for a nice video. Kick~step~hop~kick~step~hop.
    Seems to me it would be simpler to push-start it since your walking it anyway.

And why didn't anybody tell me about the kickstart mod while I had mine?
    Can't slow down, the Langoliers will get me

For six foots can sit on the bike. Level ground and step along. Pop the clutch and it goes, it's not hard

swish, right over the head with that one.

Heh try to put differently. Had to kickstart the ZR7 many times because of Driving lights drained the battery. Even at simple stop for gas, the battery would be dead.
    Classic is find a small incline to coast down a short distance.
    Could Run alongside the bike pulling the tail and one hand on the handle bars. Jump on pull the clutch shift into gear and pop the clutch.
    Would say it's methods undoubtedly known. Besides being somewhat physical and potential of dropping the bike. It also was a big production in the middle of a gas station. Refined it to be less then obvious.

Sitting on the bike. Pull the clutch and put in first gear. Start stepping the bike (Helps to have long legs). After a few steps let the clutch out. Pull the clutch back in, rev the throttle. Back in business.

Got a feeling you know this, but I explain it anyways Someone might not of known it, now they got an idea

Bronto, what I was trying to get across to you was the terminology.
    To ‘kick-start’ a bike you need a kick-starter and street bikes don’t have those anymore.
    To push a bike to start is ‘push-starting’
    Or ‘jump-start’ if using cables to another power source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links