Help me fine tune my carbs *video*

Logo

This is a discussion on Help me fine tune my carbs *video* within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; Ok guys, first off thank you guys for the help thus far! Bike is running phenomenally better than when I got it! To date here's ...

Ok guys, first off thank you guys for the help thus far! Bike is running phenomenally better than when I got it!

To date here's where I'm at.
    Petcock rebuilt, all new fuel and vacuum hoses.
    Ivans jet kit, needle clip on 3rd slot, mixture screws 2.5 turns out, holes in airbox as specifief, new float needles and all float levels set at middle of carb right at bowl seam, carbs bench synced, no vacuum leaks.

It runs great on highway, but now it's got an off idle stumble that was not there before, also idle baloons / hangs at times..

Here's a video of me turning the idle down (couldn't do that before) re-setting it, and you can see the hang up right before 2k rpms, esp near 30seconds.

What if anything can I do to tune out this last little bit? Mixture screws richer or leaner?

https://youtu.be/BQJJA2kuC0g

Also in video throttle was cracked open about 1/8 - 1/4 and held, not rolled full open.
    And throttle position sensor is reading / adjusted to
    1.09v @ idle
    4.11v @ wot
    Last edited by 99GrandTouring; 05-19-17 at 09:39 PM.

Videos audio wasn't very good but, the "off idle hesitation/stumble" could be a number of things. Could be something as small as a tiny air leak somewhere, or combined with the rpm hanging up slightly on the return could be the carbs need fine tuned synching with gauges. One carb slightly "off" from the rest can cause this. A shop with proper gauges can do it quick and easily for minimal cost. The K-trik sensor possibly but, I'd lean toward other cause(s) IMO. I've never "adjusted" mine but, even disconnected, it didn't make a real noticeable difference. The sensor values/specs are in the manual. Someone here like Obo, Shakey, LP, or others I'm sure has the info on that...Congrats on getting it running as well as you have to this point tho.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Well I messed around with the mixture screws for testing
    I was running @ 2.5 turns out so I tried 2 turns out no improvement, so I tried 3 turns out, ran much better / almost all hesitation gone. Only hesitates very slightly near 1k rpms when doing very slow parking lot manuevers

Before when coming up our long hill if I was in 4th around 2k rpms ( bogging heavy load on engine) it would start bucking and jerking when rolling on the throttle.
    Now @ 3 turns it just smoothly and steadly pulls.

I honestly think going higher than 3 would be better but I read somewhere that running @ 3 turns out is potential for mixture screws to loosen and fall out?

Any suggestions? I really don't want to mess with changing idle jets..

Try moving your needle clips and see if that enrichens it a bit more, and turn up your idle a bit. 1000 is at the bottom of rpms for idle.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

Talking

Well I'm no expert on carb tuning other than saying adjust only 1 thing at a time. I like Factory pro in that they sell really good jet kits but also sell spark advancers too and that counts for a lot IMHO. But my 01' ZR7S is running unmolested, engine wise. I learned the "hard way" from my KZ's & GPZ's & Zephyr 750's. I got tired of chasing the tune up on them after changing exhaust (full exhaust & slip on mufflers) air filters, air box mods separate clamp on air filters air injection system removal ect. IMHO the engine was just fine stock. I'm going to put my time and efforts in suspension compliance and good handling and riding comfort. The only thing I'm doing is replacing the air mixture/ bleed screws to the long ones that Factory Pro sells that are much easier to adjust on the fly for when I go to ride in the Rockies. As far as the off idle stumble I think that is a low part throttle lean condition so I'd raise the needles (lower the clip 1 notch) if that is worth the time for something that happens at super low speeds. Remember you can lower the needle and use thin shims under the clips to make "finer adjustments". Also I like buying jet kits from places that will give you some help on the tuning side, as the Factory Pro folks do. Also you can use a vacuum gauge to get "close" on the air bleed screw setting. This is all my opinions and nothing else. Because as I said I'm doing my best to leave this motorcycle engine unmolested if possible. After all that's why I went to Japanese motorcycles, because of the reliability and the more smiles to the mile compared to the U.S. & European brands. Also "bench syncing is ok but you need to do it with the engine running with a sync gauge. Buy one and you will become very popular to the point that if you'll help out a friend you will quickly have so many 6 packs packed away that you won't be buying any beer again. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll deny it, lol. Ib sure wish we lived closer. but with the internet I guess we do. Honestly I really don't see much of a stumble or hanging of RPM's on your video. That will decrease when completely warmed up. Get yourself an inexpensive infrared laser thermometer and check for when the temps "stabilize". I sounded good to me.
    Last edited by lpscruggs; 05-20-17 at 11:01 PM.
    99' ZR7 Blue
    01' ZR7S Red
    99" ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson Superbike Green
    05' ZRX1200R Green

Thanks LP, I'll try moving to clip to see.
    I have an IR thermometer, where / when should I check temps?

I pulled the plugs just to check them...
    Attached Images Attached Images

carbs bench synced only gets you in the ball park really.
    use some of these, to finish off
    SSL11411LC.jpg
    The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmR...OXdKGl4KlQnU3w
    Kawasaki ZR7

K&N,Dynojet,ignition advancer,Brisk racing plugs,Dyna coils,taylor leads,17T front sprocket,Nitron shock,hyperpro fork springs,preload adjusters, GPR Furore Exhaust

Maybe you didn't read but, post #3 and #5 recommended you synch with gauges and move the needle clips?

Quote Originally Posted by carryall View Post
    Maybe you didn't read but, post #3 and #5 recommended you synch with gauges and move the needle clips?
    I'm working on the synch tool found some videos online, going to make one..

That could be a fun project. I have a really old set that still uses mercury. I've seen a basic set at Walmart for about $60 also. It will make a big difference on how well your bike performs when done correctly. Good luck.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links