New chain and sprockets on!

Logo

This is a discussion on New chain and sprockets on! within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; New d.i.d chain and sprockets (17tooth) are on!! Now it's supposed to rain all week. .. I have to say, I was surprised how much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New chain and sprockets on!

New d.i.d chain and sprockets (17tooth) are on!!
    Now it's supposed to rain all week. ..
    I have to say, I was surprised how much force it took to flare the river...
    I got one to .229 and the other to .231, spec is .224 - .236.
    Still a little uneasy about it as its my first time riveting one. ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCB
    Jezzus, it's so clean!

Haha! Thanks! It wasn't when I got it. .
    Stripped it down, had to replace headlight housing, polished & waxed every panel and windscreen, scotch brite scrubbed headers and oiled them, fixed both front turn signals stalks (broken), new led bulb in meter stack, polished up the givi case and re-painted rear grab handles...

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

I'd still like to repaint the grey side panels

Obo
    Just looking at the chain pic and wondering if the 2 flared pins on the master link should look the same? I'll say up front my chain replacements have been with the screw on link. I've never done a pressed link. Just mentioning it as I'd think they should be the same (they seem different), but I could be wrong.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Obo you are correct it was a comparison pic, the one on the right was flared, the one on the left hadn't been done yet.
    They're both flared now.
    Good eye!

Obo
    Glad to know it's good. Hate to have you riding it if it wasn't!!
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Screwed link would take on a new meaning then! Bike looks good!
    Obo likes this.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

What is a screw on link? I've only seen rivet and clip style and sprocket center didn't recommend clip style?
    2001 Kawasaki Zr7S

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GrandTouring View Post
    What is a screw on link? I've only seen rivet and clip style and sprocket center didn't recommend clip style?
    It's only available for some chains. Mine's an EK and came with one.

EK MOTORCYCLE CHAINS | Enuma Chain Mfg. Co., Ltd.

screw.JPG

You grease the link, slip on the orings, slide it thru, add 2 more orings, the end plate and then install the nuts. Tighten the nuts with a wrench to flare the pins and then snap the nuts off with a pair of pliers. It leaves a slight nipple like protrusion that's flared, preventing the plate from coming off. According to EK it's as good as a pressed link. It's definitely easy (I speak from experience) and it's just as stressful as doing a pressed link as far as wondering if you've done it right lol.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

I used EK brand chains on my 1980 KZ750 and used their (exclusive) screw on type master link. This was on a #630 chain which was the OEM size back then. Strongest chain I've ever used. I use DID brand now as that is what came on my 05' ZRX1200R and was immediately struck by how quiet DID chains are. My 01' ZR7S has DID chain as original and are the best as far as silence and not needing adjustment much. Oh I have used Maxima chain wax exclusively since the very early 80's. Good stuff
    I agree your ZR7S is a beautiful example and ultra clean.
    99' ZR7 Blue
    01' ZR7S Red
    99" ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson Superbike Green
    05' ZRX1200R Green

Question, is that new rear sprocket an aluminum unit ?
    99' ZR7 Blue
    01' ZR7S Red
    05' ZRX1200R Green

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by lpscruggs View Post
    I used EK brand chains on my 1980 KZ750 and used their (exclusive) screw on type master link. This was on a #630 chain which was the OEM size back then. Strongest chain I've ever used. I use DID brand now as that is what came on my 05' ZRX1200R and was immediately struck by how quiet DID chains are. My 01' ZR7S has DID chain as original and are the best as far as silence and not needing adjustment much. Oh I have used Maxima chain wax exclusively since the very early 80's. Good stuff
    I agree your ZR7S is a beautiful example and ultra clean.
    I use the Maxima chain wax too. It's sooo much nicer than the old SAE90 gear oil that used to be recommended back in the day. That stuff flung!
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Quote Originally Posted by lpscruggs View Post
    Question, is that new rear sprocket an aluminum unit ?
    Its a steel one from JT. Got sprockets, and chain from Sprocketcenter.com
    2001 Kawasaki Zr7S

Very good. Sprocket Center also sells a really first rate laser chain alignment tool. I have one that I take with me on longer rides. Motion Pro makes a very good "old School" tool too. Sprocket Center is a very good place. Vortex sells an 18 tooth countershaft (front) sprocket. I must confess that I have a Sunstar 16 and 17 tooth sprockets along with an 18 tooth sprocket from Vortex but I still run with the stock 16 tooth. I'm ok with the balance of performance and fuel mileage with the 16, and I'm just lazy. Lol.
    Last edited by lpscruggs; 04-20-17 at 09:19 AM.
    99' ZR7 Blue
    01' ZR7S Red
    05' ZRX1200R Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links