I want to do a carb rebuild

Logo

This is a discussion on I want to do a carb rebuild within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; Hi guys, I'm fresh here but I imagine I will be here for the foreseeable future. I bought a zr 7 the other day on ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By anilv
  • 1 Post By Obo
  • 1 Post By Obo
  • 1 Post By shakennstirred
  • 1 Post By Obo
  • 1 Post By 99GrandTouring

Thread: I want to do a carb rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm fresh here but I imagine I will be here for the foreseeable future. I bought a zr 7 the other day on the cheap. It runs like crap and was missing at about 1500rpm. The air filter wasnt seated flush in the air box outlet and a substantial amount of crap has made its way in.

I am very much a mechanical amateur and the most I do on my bikes are basic service and have never delved into rebuilding carbs etc.
    Is there a video tutorial or web page available with step by step advice how to do a full pull down on the carb linkage and a carb rebuild video so I can rebuild the carbs individually?

Thanks

Search here and you will most likely find it..
    Carbs are a pain to remove and install plus my advice would be have someone who works on bikes do it..
    If you insist somewhere in the archives are threads I am sure..
    Start checking here.

http://www.riderforums.com/search.ph...id=1556690&pp=

Obo
    Even as an amateur you can certainly pull and clean the carbs yourself. A good cleaning if they are dirty will do wonders and you don't necessarily need to rejet or rebuild.

As LocoJim says there are resources here, and related videos on the web for our model carb (also on other bikes)

I've had my carbs out and cleaned them 4 times now and the hardest part is grating your knuckles when installing and removing the boots between the airbox and the carbs.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Obo View Post
    Even as an amateur you can certainly pull and clean the carbs yourself. A good cleaning if they are dirty will do wonders and you don't necessarily need to rejet or rebuild.

As LocoJim says there are resources here, and related videos on the web for our model carb (also on other bikes)

I've had my carbs out and cleaned them 4 times now and the hardest part is grating your knuckles when installing and removing the boots between the airbox and the carbs.
    I think I had mine off and on three times one evening.Yes those boots are a pain.

Hi chookpoo,

There's nothing really difficult about these bikes but you can cause damage and carbs are expensive. There is the k-tric thingy which needs a special tool to be set correctly but I just played with it in a few locations until it gave good acceleration and left it there. This thing uses an allen bolt with a spike in the middle (tamper-proofing) so you need a special tool but pliers will get it off. Replace with a normal bolt.

Its not the worst bike to work on carbs (honda v-twins are particularly hard) but not as easy as say a single cylinder or single-carbed bike.

Do yourself a favour and spend some money on new carb rubbers, both the ones from carb to head and from carb to airbox. Ditto for the air-filter...

Having said that.. I would check the following first.

1. Clean tank and get some fresh fuel in there, modern fuels go 'off' very fast. You don't want to clean the carbs and get more dirt in from a dirty tank into your nice clean carbs.

2. Check that the petrol tap flows fuel well. This works off a vacuum from the carb. Lever down is on, lever up is reserve, lever in the middle pointing to the rear is prime. In the prime position you don't need carb vacuum.. fuel just comes out.

3. Check the coil to plug wires and fork out some cash for new plugs. The plug caps screw on to the wires, you can unscrew them, snip a bit off the end of the wires to get some fresh metal and screw the caps back on.

4. Is the choke lever present? There is a bar connecting all four chokes just above the rubbers which connect the carbs to the head. Pushing it in from the right side (as you sit on the bike) activates the choke. Pushing it back from the left turns it off. It is worth check to see if the choke is fully off once the engine warms up by pushing it in from the left side.

5. A compression check would help eliminate problems with valves and worn rings. If you don't have a compression check tool run it for a while and see if all four down-pipes heat up evenly.. don't use you fingers to check.. Shut the bike down after idling/revving it for about 5 minutes. Then use a wet cloth and touch the pipes. They should 'hiss' the same and the moisture should disappear off the pipes immediately. This will ensure that all pistons are firing. A plug check will also indicate if one piston is running differently. These bikes can close up the valve clearances and result in poor running. If the compression check shows poor pressure or if one cylinder is way different than the others you may need to pull the valve cover to check the valve clearances.

6. If it idles bad (was 1500rpm the idle?) but runs better at around 4000rpm then a clean will sort it out. But if it runs bad even at higher revs you may have engine problems.

7. The air filter needs to be lightly oiled , otherwise it will run lean.

8. An aftermarket pipe will affect the running of the bike unless the guy who fitted it knew what he was doing and re-jetted it to suit.

9. Oh and while you're at it, get some fresh oil and a new filter in there. Cheap motorcycle oil will do for now.. You can buy better stuff once you get it running better.

Hope this does not discourage you but a lot of times a poor running bike is a result of poor maintenance, not just one problem.

All the best!

Anilv
    TWOQUIDKEV and MagicMexican like this.

If you do a carb rebuild please post photos / instructions. I just got a 2001 zr7s that I got an ivans jet kit with (un installed).
    I've been searching for a detailed write up but most posts / links are so old the photos / info is missing.
    2001 Kawasaki Zr7S

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GrandTouring View Post
    If you do a carb rebuild please post photos / instructions. I just got a 2001 zr7s that I got an ivans jet kit with (un installed).
    I've been searching for a detailed write up but most posts / links are so old the photos / info is missing.
    Here's some good reading info / tear downs. Now some of these are more for a single carb vs a bank of 4, but they are pretty much identical.

https://www.classiccycles.org/media/...c3ffffe41e.pdf

Keihin 32CVK Disassembly
    TWOQUIDKEV likes this.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Awesome Obo Thank you!
    Last edited by 99GrandTouring; 04-05-17 at 09:10 AM.
    2001 Kawasaki Zr7S

ok, I think I'm going to tackle pulling the carbs / cleaning them and installing the ivans jet / needle kit I got with the bike.
    I've heard there are different recommendations for the number of turns you should set the carbs at other than ivans reccomendations?
    Any thoughts / ideas?
    2001 Kawasaki Zr7S

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GrandTouring View Post
    ok, I think I'm going to tackle pulling the carbs / cleaning them and installing the ivans jet / needle kit I got with the bike.
    I've heard there are different recommendations for the number of turns you should set the carbs at other than ivans recommendations?
    Any thoughts / ideas?
    Some find anywhere from 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 turns works best for them. If you're installing an Ivans kit, and he gives recommendations, I'd start there first before playing with anything.

The key for cleaning is if you use carb cleaner avoid rubber parts. The cleaner can damage those. So unless you strip EVERYTHING off the carbs, don't dip soak them in the cleaner.
    Use compressed air to blow out the passages to remove any crud (there are quite a few tiny holes) and do one carb at a time.

I didn't dissemble the carb bodies from the bank of 4 but you can.

If you choose to do all 4 carbs at once just makes sure you keep everything separated. The stock needles and jet holders are different sizes and number of holes between the outer and inner carbs.
    carryall likes this.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

heat the carb to air box rubbers in hot water and feed them on to the carb, from inside the air box.
    Its so much easier that way
    TWOQUIDKEV likes this.
    The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmR...OXdKGl4KlQnU3w
    Kawasaki ZR7

K&N,Dynojet,ignition advancer,Brisk racing plugs,Dyna coils,taylor leads,17T front sprocket,Nitron shock,hyperpro fork springs,preload adjusters, GPR Furore Exhaust

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by shakennstirred View Post
    heat the carb to air box rubbers in hot water and feed them on to the carb, from inside the air box.
    I guess I got lucky with mine. They were not hard to fit, other than scraping my meaty hands in the air box due to lack of room. No hot air or water needed.

It also helps to make sure you put the right boot in the right spot. They are all spot specific for each carb to allow for the angles between the air box and carb intake.
    carryall likes this.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Along with all the good info/advice the rest of the guys gave, I'd add to use a good set of correct size screwdrivers, and allen wrenches. Being careful not to cross thread and over tighten/strip screws and jet holders because the carb bodies are made of aluminum alloy.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

Quote Originally Posted by shakennstirred View Post
    Thank you for this!!!! I was inventing new curse words until I remembered you posting this! !
    shakennstirred likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links