Front sprocket cover required?

Logo

This is a discussion on Front sprocket cover required? within the General ZR-7 forums, part of the Kawasaki ZR-7 category; Running factory sprockets won't work with my GSXR swingarm...chain rubs the arm. I'm going to have to go with larger front and rear sprockets, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running factory sprockets won't work with my GSXR swingarm...chain rubs the arm. I'm going to have to go with larger front and rear sprockets, but I can't get the correct height on the front with the sprocket cover. Any reason I can't just leave it off? Alternatively I'll chop the thing up.

Only thing I saw that concerned me was a small "pin" toward the front lower corner of the sprocket cover area. What's that pin/shaft for? Having a hard time finding it in the service manual.

I wonder if the pin is a locating pin? Sometimes used, on covers, to make sure it fits in place perfectly?

We did this on our dirt bikes, the running without a cover. It was better to prevent mud build up. There never was a problem as long as you were wearing boots.

Well, one afternoon, I decide to go for a quick spin. No boots needed for a short ride, right?

The pants I was wearing were old levis, and thank god they were old. The levis were grabbed by the sprocket. It ripped the entire left leg off, crotch section and all. I looked like a want-to-be flasher.

It was very funny, but had those pants been new and strong, it could have gone badly.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

It doesn't look like a locating pin...or not the same kind that I'm use to seeing with other bikes (of all my bikes this is my second Kawasaki). It's possible.

However, I think the problem I'm going to have, though, is with the shifter. The shaft sticks out quite a bit and flexes when I try to shift. It might clear up some once my rearsets are solidly mounted, but I think I'm going to need a carrier for that shaft at the very least. I'm going to take a closer look at the cover later and see if it can't possibly be dished out enough to handle a much larger front sprocket.

A lot of my bikes had no front cover and I never had a problem...I always wear boots and have my cuffs and laces tucked for similar reasons so apparel has never been a concern. But I've had a couple where the front cover held some other vital component in place (like a clutch push rod on a 1983 XS400 which shoots out on a fountain of oil if you start the engine with the cover off). I have idled the bike a bit with the cover off, though, and nothing bad has happened that I've noticed...but I'm reluctant to ride it without knowing for certain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

That shift shaft.....I swear Ive seen people build brackets to reinforce that....I had to on an old r1 that needed it ..something like this:

Orient Express : Honda Grom Billet Shift Shaft Support | Dragbike.com

Your bikes have that industrial look. Maybe a cover like this?

WR250R WR250X Zeta Front Sprocket Cover
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Heres what I was thinking....You could build this: Sorry, it wont let me save the picture...

Racing Cafè: Suzuki GSX 1100S Katana RCM-126 by AC Sanctuary Tokyo West

If you scroll down, there is a close up of the front sprocket and cover.

I also saw one of their bikes where they used the stock cover, but made a cut-out to clear the sprocket.

I actually rather want to build that whole bike...maybe when I'm older, have fewer obligations, and a little more spending money haha...I've wanted to build a GS1100 Kat around a built B12 motor for the longest time.

That cover, though, is pretty much what I'm thinking. Probably not that elegant, but same premise. I really need a mill...

Obo
    The pins (with the rubber covers) are just there as spacers to hold the cover out from the sprocket and chain. It stabilizes the cover as well as the shifter rod runs thru it and pivots in it when you shift.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S
    complete with extra "stuff"

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Great point, obo......If the cover was not located 100%, or strong, it would not support the shaft, would it?

This is the pin I'm talking about.

Obo
    The Shlerblonger pin? It's for alignment for the fastening bolts in conjunction with the shifter shaft.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email/message/posting do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

Obo
    Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    Great point, obo......If the cover was not located 100%, or strong, it would not support the shaft, would it?
    Yes, if it wasn't there the shifter shaft would want to snap off where it leaves the engine case vs rotate like it's suppose to.
    2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S

I'm not saying it's not a locating pin, but there were locating pins on the sprocket cover (the kind that recess into the bolt holes) and I've never seen one like that before. Good to know it's not worth worrying about! When I make a new cover I don't think I'll put a lot of effort into covering it up.

Obo makes sense.....I dont think we;ve come up with the word for the pin.

My dirt bike has no pins. When you put the cover on, its holes are oversize. Or is that oversized?

Anyway, you could put the cover on and have it several millimeters out of place. If that were true here, its totally far enough to bind the shift shaft. This pin prevents that......

The locating pins are pretty snug in their corresponding holes. I've got two complete engine setups here and both have that little pin on the engine, and the corresponding hole on the sprocket cover is visibly larger.

Mystery pin! I'm writing a letter to Kawasaki.

I'll add...the reason I don't think it's a locating pin is not just because the corresponding hole is larger, but the pin itself looks worn. Like it's a moving part. There's "gap" around it at the base unlike what you'd see with a fixed pin. It "looks" like it's suppose to move...like it either plunges or rotates...but I could not get it to move at all (honestly did not try very hard). It's also soft...it's not aluminum but it's hardened steel.

Did you post a pic of the pin? Id like to see it.

Des Kawasakis parts diagram call it anything but a pin? Maybe that could offer a clue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links