Time for a new bike... - Page 7

Logo

Time for a new bike...

This is a discussion on Time for a new bike... within the Concours 1400 forums, part of the Kawasaki Concours category; Thats funny, and so true. We survived the 80's as we knew no better, and had no better. I dont know if Evil, himself, would ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Time for a new bike...

Thats funny, and so true.

We survived the 80's as we knew no better, and had no better. I dont know if Evil, himself, would have considered something this crazy.

VIDEO: Daredevil motorcyclist jumps across Southern California freeway, sparks investigation | abc7news.com

But, technology advanced. Now, I would no more trust an 80's era bike to stop, brake or handle any more so than I would trust a 80's helmet to protect my head.

It would not bother me , at all, to have a low performance machine if I could schedule when and where the close calls would be.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Right O. For most of us, we don't have to worry about ourselves. It's all the other idiots and animals and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    Thats funny, and so true.

We survived the 80's as we knew no better, and had no better. I dont know if Evil, himself, would have considered something this crazy.

VIDEO: Daredevil motorcyclist jumps across Southern California freeway, sparks investigation | abc7news.com

But, technology advanced. Now, I would no more trust an 80's era bike to stop, brake or handle any more so than I would trust a 80's helmet to protect my head.

It would not bother me , at all, to have a low performance machine if I could schedule when and where the close calls would be.
    You must live where all the roads are congested. I can ride roads where seeing someone else is a rarity. That is where I ride my low performance machines.
    Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Just ride it, enjoy it, I'm hesitating selling my meanstreak because it's a very engaging machine, love my new super tenere they just have very different personalities, emotionally the meanstreak just gets my heart going , the super tenere is way safer on paper and standing up feeling like your literally flying through the air has its own thrill, also being able to take it anywhere is awesome, they are just good at different things ...Ride all bikes under their limits , ride defensively and enjoy the journey.
    2015 Yamaha super tenere 1200 red
    2002 Red, Meanstreak 1500..... 20k ish miles
    Metzler roadtec z6 120/70/17 - 170/60/17
    Power commander 3
    Samson warlord long cannons, cut down 6/8"
    BadAce, symbiotic intake w/KN filter
    Mustang seat
    Vstream windshield
    MC Enterprises sissy bar
    Avon air heated grips
    BadAce cam tensioner extenders and reed block off plates
    Saddlemen saddlebags.
    Swingwings foot pegs
    All Balls, fork seals and head bearings
    Low and mean radiator shroud

I saw car get run over by a semi today. He was about 300yards ahead of me. Not like it was a close call, or anything.

I saw the tractor raise up as it went through the intersection. A green compact car had ran the red light and there was nothing the semi driver could do.

It just reminded me that we can be safe and do everything in our power to be so, but if your time is up, there won't be much we can do. I learned later the compact car driver was dead
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Been enjoying working on and riding the new Hog. Only ~800 miles because I've had to spend time waiting for parts and tuning it, but the last few hundred miles have been really good. When I first got it, the rear plug was burning out every 100 miles or so; once almost left me stranded (not really, but I thought I was out of gas when it happened).

aplug.jpg

I replaced the intake seals and rebuilt the carb about a half dozen times until I got it right. Ended up replacing the needle, needle jet, main jet, pilot jet, slide, accelerator pump, and adjusting the float. Bought a set of Magnecor plug wires. Disconnected and cleaned/improved all the grounds and main electrical connections, and went through the ignition system, which I determined was in okay shape. So far, doesn't appear to burn oil and hasn't put a drop on the ground. Plugs now running pretty even.

aplugs.jpg

When I first started, the bike was running rough and getting about 30MPG; it wouldn't rev over about 2500RPM in the first three gears. Now I'm getting 46MPG and the bike pulls pretty strong out to 4000RPM; I hope I'm not running too lean in the long run. No worries though, I'm just riding and making changes if I feel like it. Only thing it really needs is a new front brake line because the DOT5 is seeping through the line.

adyna.jpg
    HilbillyKat likes this.
    2001 ZR-7s (ZR750H1).....R.... "Ol' Red"
    1995 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide "Grunt Pig"

I haven't had "high rise/apes" on a bike in years. How do you like them on your bike D.F.? You find them comfortable enough, or have you considered different bars?
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

Quote Originally Posted by carryall View Post
    I haven't had "high rise/apes" on a bike in years. How do you like them on your bike D.F.? You find them comfortable enough, or have you considered different bars?
    Need a picture with him on the bike. Daddyflip is a tall guy. Might be perfect for him.

Since I am still healing I decided might as well install my heated grips and Zumo GPS wiring harness on the Road King. I'll get to give it a deep cleaning / polishing while putting it back together.

Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

I'll get y'all a rider pic tomorrow. I like the apes a lot, though I have been thinking about an alternative. Rather than new bars, I think different grips would suit me better. The Kuryakyn Iso grips are really big and even with a throttle boss, the back of my hand and wrists get tired. I like a large diameter grip on a low bar; I always add foam grip covers. But when you need to hold on, a small diameter seems better. Easier to change grips than bars, too. Plus, I like the way the bars look and feel; it's what I wanted.

The other thing I like, twa hit on in the recent Z900 thread; absolutely no concern over wind buffeting on a bike like this. I'm wearing an Icon Airmada full face on this bike and it is completely silent at all speeds with plenty of airflow. Not so on the ZR7 where the shield puts the wind right over my shoulders- the Airmada is a hurricane! I wear my Shoei GT-Air on the 7; surprisingly, the Shoei isn't as quiet on the Harley for some reason.

Also tomorrow, I start experimenting with fork oil. Going to start with a slight overfill of Torco 10w I have on hand. Hoping to keep it light but reduce some of the jarring clunk I get on the local rough patches. I don't know what's in it right now.
    2001 ZR-7s (ZR750H1).....R.... "Ol' Red"
    1995 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide "Grunt Pig"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links